Trial by judge or by jury?

来源: outraged 2004-04-30 10:42:10 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2039 bytes)
Please share your ideas and experiences, I appreciate it very much:

It was such a big irony for me. I got a speeding ticket when I wanted to drive slow. Here is what happened:

I drove my family to Chicago Botantical Garden last Saturday to see the Spring blossoms. I live abuout 20 miles away from the garden and had choices on the routes to take: I-94 is fastest since the speed limit is 65 (but most people drive 75 anyway), or IL-21 (speed limit 50 but section under construction).

Since I was driving a new car (only 200 miles, still in break-in period) I wanted to avoid hard acceleration and braking. I chose to go on IL-21 which is being broadened. The section that I merge into has two lanes, but one is closed off. Being a good driver, I stopped and yielded to five cars/trucks and waited until the traffic is clear to merge.

This is Saturday morning about 8:30, no there isn't too much traffic. I never hit the gas too hard, the engine never ran over 2100 RPM in fact, so the distance between my car and the one ahead me increased to about 100 feet after half mile.

Then I saw a police cruiser parked on a side road. It did not react to the cars ahead of me, so I didn't brake or yield (the police car didn't have any signal on). After I passed it, the police car pulled out of the side road and started following me. But he didn't turn on the light until after about 500 feet. Since the road has only one lane, I pulled over to yield. But the guy also stoped and came to give me a speeding ticket!

He claimed that I was driving at 51 in a 35MPH construction zone. Then he demanded $150 in cash as bond and said I have to attend the court. The ticket says that if I plead not guilty, I can choose a trial by judge or by jury.

I have been driving here for six years and this is my first ticket. It happenend only about one mile away from my home and when I was driving carefully and being alert! Of course I'll plea not guilty, but should I choose a trial by judge or jury?

所有跟帖: 

回复:what is your speed????? -cashbond??- 给 cashbond?? 发送悄悄话 (236 bytes) () 04/30/2004 postreply 11:17:11

you may lose -H-1B_TAX- 给 H-1B_TAX 发送悄悄话 (300 bytes) () 04/30/2004 postreply 17:04:12

回复:Trial by judge or by jury? -i-know- 给 i-know 发送悄悄话 (162 bytes) () 05/01/2004 postreply 08:49:39

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”