Here is the law in I.R.C Sec.36(c)(1)

来源: CyberCat 2011-03-25 11:06:03 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2629 bytes)
回答: First home buyerjuly51172011-03-25 10:30:57

The term "first-time homebuyer" means any individual if such individual (and if married, such individual's

spouse) had no present ownership interest in a principal residence during the 3-year period ending on the

date of the purchase of the principal residence to which this section applies.

Now there is official definition as to what a principal residence is in the law. I blieve what IRS wants to know is whether you and/or your wife had any ownership interet in a principal residence in the three years prior to your purchase.

Also, in I.R.C. Sec. 36(d)(3)

36(d) EXCEPTIONS. --

No credit under subsection (a) shall be allowed to any taxpayer for any taxable year with respect to the

purchase of a residence if --

36(d)(3) the taxpayer is a nonresident alien

So, whether you are otherwise qualified for the credit depends on your immigration status. One thing not clear though is how to define a "nonresident alien" here. For example, whether a given alien is a resident alien for the purpose of determining dependent on a federal income tax return actually depends on the days he or she resides in U.S. in the last three years. However, for immigration purpose, you are probably treated as a nonresident alien. The law here is unclear and is subject to interpretation. If the IRS decides to interpret it to your disadvantage, you can always go to the tax court to get a ruling. Note, you never go to a small claim court to litigate with a government agency. I believe you will have to retain a tax lawyer.

所有跟帖: 

谢谢您的回答。 -july5117- 给 july5117 发送悄悄话 (224 bytes) () 03/25/2011 postreply 12:51:51

Don't know. Not sure how tax court works. -CyberCat- 给 CyberCat 发送悄悄话 (29 bytes) () 03/25/2011 postreply 14:12:47

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”