你这些法律,案例全是加拿大的, 楼主在美国.

来源: 如尘 2010-05-03 08:56:52 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (9555 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 如尘 ] 在 2010-05-04 09:16:25 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
回答: If Money Mart sues you, you'll probably lose.32719632010-05-03 06:20:29
俺也放了一下狗, 找了一篇美国的.

http://answers.uslegal.com/questions.php?q=15727

Can the check company sue me for my stop payment since they paid the check before hand?03/23/09 - Category: - Contracts - State:New York #15727
Full Question:

I went to Volkswagen car dealership in Queens New York back on September 2nd 2006 wanted to lease a VW but the final paper work was not completed because the car alarm was not installed. I broke down the deposit in two transactions, a $2,000.00 in credit card payment and a check written to the dealership in the amount of $2,299.00. The car was not delivered to me and I was never gotten the benefit of the new car from day one. After a week, the dealership has agreed to charge me a $400.00 as stocking fees and refunded the balance of $1,600.00 back to my credit card as we agreed the lease deal did not complete and the deal was cancelled. A fax from the dealership has confirmed the above that that the dealership has agreed to charge only the stocking fees of $400.00 and a credit card transaction of $1,600 was refunded back to my credit card. On the check that I wrote, the dealership has advised me to stop the check of $2,000.00 because they told me it has gone to their vault already. I called my bank first thing Monday morning on September 4th 2006 to stop the check of $2,299.Collection agency called me to inform me that I owe $2,299 to a clearing check company Certegy because they have paid the car dealership on Sept 4th 2006. They are claiming the holder of due course law against me because they had paid the dealership. 1)Per above scenario does Certegy have rights against me to begin with to claim $2,299.00 even the check was written to the car dealership? 2)Was the car dealership breaking the law or at fault knowing that they had agreed to charge me for the stocking fees of $400.00 but they took money from the check clearing house anyway? 3)If Certegy do have claim against me, what is my best course of action given my case. Should I go against car dealership for the money they took? This will be costly and time consuming for me to sue them. 4) Can Certegy claim against me even if the check was addressed to the car dealership because of they are using the holder due course law?

Answer Contracts are agreements that are legally enforceable. A contract is an agreement between two parties that creates an obligation to do or refrain from doing a particular thing. The purpose of a contract is to establish the terms of the agreement by which the parties have fixed their rights and duties. An oral contract is an agreement made with spoken words and either no writing or only partially written. An oral contract may generally be enforced the same as a written agreement. However, it is much more difficult with an oral contract to prove its existence or the terms. Oral contracts also usually have a shorter time period within which a person seeking to enforce their contract right must sue. A written contract generally provides a longer time to sue than for breach of an oral contract. Contracts are mainly governed by state statutory and common (judge-made) law and private law. Private law generally refers to the terms of the agreement between the parties, as parties have freedom to override many state law requirements regarding formalities of contracts. Each state has developed its own common law of contracts, which consists of a body of jurisprudence developed over time by trial and appellate courts on a case-by-case basis.

An unjustifiable failure to perform all or some part of a contractual duty is a breach of contract. A legal action for breach of contract arises when at least one party's performance does not live up to the terms of the contract and causes the other party to suffer economic damage or other types of measurable injury. A lawsuit for breach of contract is a civil action and the remedies awarded are designed to place the injured party in the position they would be in if not for the breach. Remedies for contractual breaches are not designed to punish the breaching party. The five basic remedies for breach of contract include the following: money damages, restitution, rescission, reformation, and specific performance. A money damage award includes a sum of money that is given as compensation for financial losses caused by a breach of contract. Parties injured by a breach are entitled to the benefit of the bargain they entered, or the net gain that would have accrued but for the breach. The type of breach governs the extent of damages that may be recovered.

Restitution is a remedy designed to restore the injured party to the position occupied prior to the formation of the contract. Parties seeking restitution may not request to be compensated for lost profits or other earnings caused by a breach. Instead, restitution aims at returning to the plaintiff any money or property given to the defendant under the contract. Plaintiffs typically seek restitution when contracts they have entered are voided by courts due to a defendant's incompetence or incapacity. Rescission is the name for the remedy that terminates the contractual duties of both parties, while reformation is the name for the remedy that allows courts to change the substance of a contract to correct inequities that were suffered. In order to have a rescission, both parties to the contract must be placed in the position they occupied before the contract was made. Courts have held that a party may rescind a contract for fraud, incapacity, duress, undue influence, material breach in performance of a promise, or mistake, among other grounds. Specific performance is an equitable remedy that compels one party to perform, as nearly as practicable, his or her duties specified by the contract. Specific performance is available only when money damages are inadequate to compensate the plaintiff for the breach

Promissory estoppel is a term used in contract law that applies where, although there may not otherwise be an enforceable contract, because one party has relied on the promise of the other, it would be unfair not to enforce the agreement. Promissory estoppel arises from a promise which the promisor should reasonably expect to induce action or forebearance of a definite and substantial character on the part of the promisee and which does induce such action or forebearance in binding if injustice can be avoided only by enforcement of the promise. Detrimental reliance is a term commonly used to force another to perform their obligations under a contract, using the theory of promissory estoppel. Promissory estoppel may apply when a promise was made; reliance on the promise was reasonable or foreseeable; there was actual and reasonable reliance on the promise; the reliance was detrimental; and injustice can only be prevented by enforcing the promise. Detrimental reliance must be shown to involve reliance that is reasonable, which is a determination made on an individual case-by-case basis, taking all factors into consideration. Detrimental means that some type of harm is suffered. Reasonable reliance is usually referred to as a theory of recovery in contract law. It was what a prudent person might believe and act upon based on something told by another. Sometimes a person acts in reliance on the promise of a profit or other benefit, only to learn that the statements or promises were either incorrect or were exaggerated. The one who acted to their detriment in reasonable reliance may recover damages for the costs of his/her actions or demand performance. Reasonable reliance connotes the use of the standard of ordinary and average person.

I am prohibited from giving legal advice, as this service provides information of a general legal nature. I suggest you contact a local attorney who can review all of the facts and documents involved.

Please see the following NY statute for applicability:

Section 2--403. Power to Transfer; Good Faith Purchase of Goods; "Entrusting".
(1) A purchaser of goods acquires all title which his transferor had or had power to transfer except that a purchaser of a limited interest acquires rights only to the extent of the interest purchased. A person with voidable title has power to transfer a good title to a good faith purchaser for value. When goods have been delivered under a transaction of purchase the purchaser has such power even though
(a) the transferor was deceived as to the identity of the purchaser, or
(b) the delivery was in exchange for a check which is later dishonored, or
(c) it was agreed that the transaction was to be a "cash sale", or
(d) the delivery was procured through fraud punishable as larcenous under the criminal law.
(2) Any entrusting of possession of goods to a merchant who deals in goods of that kind gives him power to transfer all rights of the entruster to a buyer in ordinary course of business.
(3) "Entrusting" includes any delivery and any acquiescence in retention of possession regardless of any condition expressed between the parties to the delivery or acquiescence and regardless of whether the procurement of the entrusting or the possessor's disposition of the goods has been such as to be larcenous under the criminal law.
(4) The rights of other purchasers of goods and of lien creditors are governed by the Articles on Secured Transactions (Article 9), Bulk Transfers (Article 6) and Documents of Title (Article 7).

所有跟帖: 

这个案子和Money Mart有什么关系???!!! -3271963- 给 3271963 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/03/2010 postreply 13:26:50

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”