大学生太多不是什么好事: The College Degree Prisoner's Dilemma

来源: career 2016-06-17 15:41:41 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3600 bytes)

The College Degree Prisoner's Dilemma

Of those aged 25 to 34 in the civilian labor force, how many have bachelor's degrees or higher?

Click to enlarge.

This is yet another parabola doomed to fail, for it will not be possible to exceed 100%.

Prisoner's Dilemma

The prisoner's dilemma is a standard example of a game analyzed in game theory that shows why two completely "rational" individuals might not cooperate, even if it appears that it is in their best interests to do so.

Let's say two high school seniors named John and Jane both really want a particular job in their small farming community. The job does not require a college education, but higher education would still be preferable. They are the only two people who will apply for it. The previous person who has that job will be retiring in 4 years. What should they do?

If John goes to college, then Jane must also go to college in order to compete. If Jane goes to college, then John must also go to college in order to compete. It would be in both of their best interests if they cooperated and neither went to college. Going to college pushes both of them into debt and if they both go, neither will have the advantage over the other.

I think that's where we are at in this country. That's why we're seeing the parabola in the chart. Unfortunately, jobs requiring college degrees are not growing as a parabola. Not even close. In my opinion, the number of heavily indebted overqualified workers in jobs that really shouldn't require a college degree will continue at an ever alarming rate. Sigh.

I don't see what can reverse the trend until it finally reaches the ultimate breaking point. College is becoming the new high school, only with extra debt and with four more wasted years. That's not true for everyone obviously, but for many workers it is. The advantage of going to college is being lost for those who will ultimately end up in jobs that don't require it.

Unfortunately, I don't see an alternative. Even if you end up in a job that doesn't require a college degree, you may still need the degree just to get it. All things being equal, most employers would choose the more educated worker. I'm therefore not offering "do not go to college" advice. I'm simply trying to point out the reality of what is happening. When it comes to college education for the masses, especially those who ultimately end up in low paying jobs even with a college degree, the glass is half full, and leaking.

所有跟帖: 

你就说什么是好事吧。你所有贴都说的不是好事。除了学医,我们都知道那是好事了 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 06/17/2016 postreply 15:44:34

什么是好事? "看看任何一个科幻片,哪个离的了电脑?" -career- 给 career 发送悄悄话 (2616 bytes) () 06/17/2016 postreply 16:03:17

是应该说计算机,还是说电脑,这是个问题 -喝醉的小边- 给 喝醉的小边 发送悄悄话 喝醉的小边 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 06/17/2016 postreply 16:07:24

现在很多高中的内容,够牛顿、亚里士多德顶礼膜拜了,天还没塌下来呢。 -YuccaPalm- 给 YuccaPalm 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 06/17/2016 postreply 16:18:45

要有时间隧道,俺肯定回去了,就是没想好回到什么时候 -喝醉的小边- 给 喝醉的小边 发送悄悄话 喝醉的小边 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 06/17/2016 postreply 16:34:57

望另一边儿看隧道,现在的大学内容肯定都会进高中,或者变成K-16 -YuccaPalm- 给 YuccaPalm 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 06/17/2016 postreply 17:12:35

若只是为了一份好工作,大可不必去藤校。 -rancho2008- 给 rancho2008 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 06/18/2016 postreply 10:20:31

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”