回复:夜里路不熟的话还是带个GPS吧

来源: Happyyl 2009-07-22 19:07:42 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2179 bytes)
Have two stories about GPS.

Story 1

I bought a first generation Garmin GPS some years ago. It had only 19 MB memory to store the map. Every time I traveled some distance away from home, I had to plan to upload the maps along the route into the unit. It was tough to fit huge maps into the 19 MB memory if going to big cities. One time I was in NJ (one of most populated area with all kids of dense roads. I planned to travel from southern NJ to northern NJ. The GPS only allowed to upload maps in the departure and destination areas. Since the main highway system was built in the GPS, I was confident to find the way since I drove that route one time before without GPS. I even did not carry a paper map with me. However, about 20 miles away from the departure place, the GPS began to ask me to jump from overpass bridges to the interstate highway under where no connection was available between these two. After following the GPS aimlessly for 3 hours (a 2 hour driving distance), I gave up and went to a gas station owned by a mideast man to buy a NJ map. He asked for $1. I was surprised how cheap it is, but he gave me a computer printed map on a letter size paper. I asked if he can have a better one.

"No!"

"Where am I on this map?"

"I do not know."

Finally I called my friends and told him what roads I have driven. My two engineering Ph.D.friends spent another 20 minutes on their maps and figured out where I was. They gave me the possible direction to get out of that town with its name unknown to its gas station people.

After driving another 5 miles or so, I entered the area with detailed maps loaded. After missing an important turn, GPS took me to my destination along local roads even my friends who had lived there for years did not know.

However, the entire trip took me more than four hours.

Story 2

I was driving on an interstate highway with up and downs and frequent and sharp turns in one very foggy morning. Had to drive fast to get on time. The GPS showed direction and severity of the upcoming turn and made the driving much easier. Very good.
请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”