又一个免费办公软件,号称最接近直接替代微软的办公软件 MS OFFICE

来源: 色大胆小 2016-06-08 06:58:12 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (26695 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 色大胆小 ] 在 2016-06-08 07:01:52 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Finally there's an open source drop-in replacement for MS Office

There's a new player in the office suite space and it promises to play well with MS Office. Jack Wallen offers up his take on the new open source FreeOffice suite of tools.

Image: Jack Wallen

In the land of open source, there are a few tools available that serve as office suites. The King of that heap has been, for a long time, LibreOffice...with good reason. LibreOffice offers all the features you could ever want from an office suite, retains an easy-to-use interface, and plays well with the competition. I've used LibreOffice for years and cannot imagine using anything different.

Until now.

Sort of.

You may have heard of the company SoftMaker. They are the creators of SoftMaker Office, which runs on

indowsLinux, and Android. That same company has recently released a new product,FreeOffice, and it could shake up the competition very quickly.

Why another product?

One of the issues that has plagued LibreOffice for some time now is MS Office compatibility. Yes, it works very well with the basic features. But once you start getting into more complex documents (or MS Office password protected documents), LibreOffice can run into some issues. I've watched LibreOffice stumble on a number of occasions with track changes. If track changes is used for simple editing, it works great. However, once you start using track changes for formatting things start to go sideways. I've missed entire formatting changes, thanks to this very issue.

With FreeOffice you will finally experience going back and forth between MS Office documents and another suite (almost) issue free. That's a major win for anyone wanting an open source (or cross platform) alternative.

Freeoffice is available for Linux, Windows, and Android. You can download the installers for Windows and Linux on the FreeOffice downloads page. For Android, you will find FreeOffice on the Google Play Store, as individual pieces (FreeOffice TextMakerFreeOffice PlanMakerFreeOffice Presentations) orOffice HD for tablets.

The versions

FreeOffice is really nothing more than a free version of Softmaker Office. If you want to up your game with this suite, you'll have to make the move to SoftMaker Office. The differences between the two are minimal. With the $69.95 standard you get all the features of the free version, plus a license for three computers as well as a Softmaker redux of the Thunderbird email client that integrates with the suite. For $99.95 you get all the features of the free and standard editions, plus a number of additional dictionaries.

Regardless of the added features, what you'll want FreeOffice for is the compatibility it offers with MS Office. In fact, FreeOffice is the only option, on the Linux platform, that can open MS Office password-protected files. That's an important feature for a lot of business users. And outside of some seriously advanced features, FreeOffice does the best job of any office suite, not called MS Office, of opening and working with MS Office documents.

It's not perfect

When you hear that a software offers Feature X, you expect that feature to work. Every major office suite I've tried has made promises of MS Office compatibility. Some of those products have failed miserably, while others have, for the most part succeeded. FreeOffice is no exception to the latter. Although it does succeed to a higher degree than any other office suite, you will find (as you probably expect) certain advanced features simply are not supported. Of course, the majority of users aren't working with advanced features, so the masses will probably see zero issues when working between MS Office and FreeOffice.

But there's one glaring issue I find to be a bit odd. With FreeOffice you can open and save in the following formats:

DBF, DIF, DOC, DOT, HTM, ODT, PMD, PMV, POT, PPS, PPT, PRD, PRS, PRV, PSW, PWD, RTF, SLK, TMD, TMV, TXT, XLS, XLT

Notice the lack of DOCX, XLSX, and PPTX formats?

With FreeOffice you can open (but not save as) the following formats:

CSV, DOCM, DOCX, DOTM, DOTX, HTML, OTT, PMW, POTM, POTX, PPSM, PPSX, PPTM, PPTX, PRN, SDC, SXW, WPD, WRI, XLSM, XLSX, XLTM, XLTX

Once you open the newer MS Office files, you will have to save them in the older format. Why I consider this odd is because LibreOffice offers the ability to both open and save in the new format. Why was this overlooked by FreeOffice? Most likely a licensing issue with Microsoft.

So why bother?

I have to start by saying this: Because MS Office is one of Microsoft's biggest cash cows, I don't believe we will ever see a 100% drop-in replacement...on any platform, by any company. But the truth is, with all the available options (Google Docs, LibreOffice, Apple Productivity Apps, etc), fewer and fewer people are depending on MS Office. But if you're looking for a single office suite that plays well with everyone, FreeOffice should be placed on your radar. It's not perfect and offers a slightly out-of-date interface (Figure A), but if you're in need of a free suite of tools that will allow you to work well with MS Office (as well as can be expected), FreeOffice is a great alternative.

Figure A

Figure A
Image: Jack Wallen

The FreeOffice TextMaker interface is efficient, if not a bit out dated.

Personally, I'll be sticking with the one-two punch of Google Docs and LibreOffice...but I have no need to work with MS Office (as my editor now works with LibreOffice as well). However, it's reassuring to know, should I have to open an MS Office password protected file (or a file that LibreOffice doesn't care for), I now have an option.

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/

所有跟帖: 

MS还有Outlook这个大杀器在后面,还是没人取代得了。 -hot_powerz- 给 hot_powerz 发送悄悄话 hot_powerz 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 06/08/2016 postreply 09:30:54

我下班以后就不用Outlook,都是yahoo, gmail, outlook.com ... -色大胆小- 给 色大胆小 发送悄悄话 色大胆小 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 06/08/2016 postreply 09:36:26

OFFICE主攻的就是商业用户,现在OFFICE 365一个用户授权可以安装最新OFFICE在五台电脑上(含家里的),免费的没戏 -hot_powerz- 给 hot_powerz 发送悄悄话 hot_powerz 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 06/08/2016 postreply 12:35:54

金山的软件很好用啊 http://www.kingsoftstore.com/ -slow_quick- 给 slow_quick 发送悄悄话 slow_quick 的博客首页 (134 bytes) () 06/08/2016 postreply 09:45:08

长知识,原来金山就是 kingsoft -色大胆小- 给 色大胆小 发送悄悄话 色大胆小 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 06/08/2016 postreply 10:48:45

想当年DOS还需要外挂中文字库的时候,金山DOS 以及DOS下的WPS简直就是神一样的存在 -Oneshotkill- 给 Oneshotkill 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 06/08/2016 postreply 17:28:39

以前老听说金山词霸 -色大胆小- 给 色大胆小 发送悄悄话 色大胆小 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 06/08/2016 postreply 17:35:44

那都是后来了,好像是学英语啥的了吧,反正是搞字库汉化起家都是老本行 -Oneshotkill- 给 Oneshotkill 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 06/08/2016 postreply 17:40:39

好怀念WPS啊 -胡小海- 给 胡小海 发送悄悄话 (193 bytes) () 06/09/2016 postreply 04:17:11

还有 EPSON LQ 针打:-) -Oneshotkill- 给 Oneshotkill 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 06/09/2016 postreply 08:10:51

小米的老总雷军就是金山培养的。后来跳出来自己干。 -hot_powerz- 给 hot_powerz 发送悄悄话 hot_powerz 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 06/08/2016 postreply 22:09:01

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”