Are people who support Donald Trump racist xenophobes? by Ben Sk

来源: mypresident 2017-11-30 19:45:36 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (21690 bytes)

作者:李京楠
链接:https://www.zhihu.com/question/52496216/answer/130837043
来源:知乎
著作权归作者所有。商业转载请联系作者获得授权,非商业转载请注明出处。

Are people who support Donald Trump racist xenophobes? by Ben Skirvin 

quora.com/Are-people-wh

感谢大家的指正,希望更多人可以看到这篇文章。以下是我修改后的翻译。

Preface, I did not vote for Trump. But, I want to point something out.
写在前面,我没投川普。但是我想说明一些事情。

This photograph was taken by a friend of mine who works as a freelance photographer for a variety of national and international publications including Time Magazine.

It was published under a number of rather alarming headlines, including one fromquantz.com which described it as an “apocalyptic” image of the future if Trump won the election.

这张照片我一个朋友拍的,他是一名自由记者,给很多国际媒体撰稿,比如时代。这张照片被刊登在一系列醒目的头条新闻中,比如一条是来自quantz.com,这篇报道把川普获胜的情形描绘为末日景象(apocalyptic)。

This puzzled me.

这让我感到很困惑。

The photo was taken at a campaign rally in Loveland, CO. It is a city of about 50,000 people. Of those, 92.85 percent are Caucasian. The median per capita income in Loveland, CO is about $21,000 per year.

这张照片拍摄于一次在 Loveland, CO 进行的竞选集会。这是一座有50,000的城市,其中92.85%是高加索人(白人),人均年收入是21,000刀。

Up until 1985, a factory run by the Great Western Sugar Company provided most of the jobs. But, that closed and it’s only partially been replaced by a handful of smaller manufacturing plants.

直到1985年,一家叫做Great Western Sugar Company的公司的工厂提供了这里大部分的工作岗位。但是在它关闭后,仅有数家小型的制造厂提供部分的工作岗位。

That’s all demographics and history, but that’s not what puzzled me.

但这些只是人口统计资料和历史,并不是困惑我的地方。

I grew up in the heart of the Rust Belt. My grandfather ran a small town electrical repair shop. My uncle worked in a munitions plant on a military base outside the microscopic town where he was raised. My cousin worked in a factory producing cabinets until he was laid off a few years ago for the third time in two years. Now he strings together part-time work, a convenience store during the day and bouncer at local bar at night.

我在Rust Belt的中心区长大,我祖父运营了一家小的电器修理铺。我叔叔则在家乡的小镇外的军工厂里工作。我的堂兄弟在一家生产柜子的工厂里工作,但很快,他在2年内第三次失业了。现在他白天在便利店,晚上则在当地的酒吧里当保镖。

When I look at that picture, I don’t see racist. I don’t see bigots. I don’t see hillbillies or rednecks. I don’t see deplorables.

我看着这张照片,我看到的不是种族主义者,也不是顽固派,不是乡巴佬和红脖子,也不是DEPLORABLES(这个词常用来羞辱川普支持者)。

I see a bunch of people pretty similar to my grandfather, uncle and cousin.

At this point in my life, I doubt I have many common opinions with those folks anymore.

But, most of them tried to be the best people they knew how to be.

我看到是一群跟我祖父,叔叔,堂兄弟很像的人。时至今日,我和他们的价值观可能完全不一样了。但是他们中的大部分人其实是在努力让自己活的更好。

The problem was never that they were bad people.

其实他们从来都不是坏蛋。

The problem was that nobody knew how to talk to them in a way that related to their world. It was a failure of imagination. Worse, it was a failure of empathy.

其实只是没有人知道如何以他们的方式与他们进行交流。这不仅是想象力( imagination)的失败,这更是同理心( empathy)的失败

Think of it this way.

换个思路。

How do you convince a working class conservative guy from rural western Kentucky to support gay marriage?

你应该怎样去说服一个来自western Kentucky农村的保守的工人去支持同性婚姻呢?

Well, first you imagine the world as he sees it. It’s marketing 101. Know your audience.

首先你得以他的视角来看世界。要从市场营销入门这门课中的,了解你的听众这一节课开始。

This guy doesn’t have much in common with a college educated, middle class, social media marketing director from midtown Manhattan. That’s not a world that he lives in.

他和来自自曼哈顿的,上过大学的,中产阶层的,在社会媒体行业的市场总监完全不是一路人。他根本就生活在不同的世界。

He doesn’t have much in common with a Gender Studies professor from Harvard.

他和哈佛的性别研究教授也不是一路人。

So, maybe those are not your best spokespeople.

所以这些人可能不具代表性。

Surely, there is one gay man somewhere in the South or Midwest working in manual labor. Ideally, he’s a former marine who grew up poor in a trailer park or on a farm. But, he worked hard, joined the military, fought for his country, came home and started a contracting business.

那就这样,在南方或中西部的蓝领里肯定会有一位同性恋。理想条件下,他还是个在拖车停车场或者农场里长大的退役海军。他努力工作,然后参军,为国而战,返乡后开始做生意。

It started out small, but now he’s proud to employ 5 hardworking Americans.

开始只是小买卖,现在他很自豪他顾了5个勤劳的美国人。

And why does this hardworking American want to talk to you about gay marriage?

那么这个勤奋的美国人为啥要跟你讨论同性婚姻吗?

Because he loves his husband?

因为他爱他丈夫吗?

Because he wants to plead for fair treatment?

因为他想得到公正的对待吗?

Because of equality, peace and understanding?

因为平等,和平,理解吗?

Hell no.

扯淡。

He wants to talk to you about gay marriage because these ***** bureaucrats in Lexington are fucking with his tax bill and the lawyer fees on all this fucking government paper work is bleeding him dry. He wants to file a joint tax return on his business as a married man and these bastard politicians won’t let him, because they’re greedy sons of bitches.

他想谈同性婚姻是因为莱克星顿的傻*官员在乱收税,是因为政府文件的律师费在吸他的血。他想以已婚身份的人来开联合税务申报但那些混蛋官员不让,因为这些官都是贪婪的**。

And this is the most important part.

这才是重点。

If they’re willing to cheat a hardworking veteran like that, what’s stopping these leeches from coming after you?

如果连勤奋的老兵他们都这样欺负,这些吸血的水蛭迟早会找上你自己。

Wait.

省省吧。

You thought this was about equal rights?

你以为这是平权?

You thought this was about properly categorizing various gender identities into their neat little containers?

你以为这是让各种的性别认知障碍的人用自己已有的身躯过上的体面的生活?

You thought this was about love and hate and big bearded man in the sky hating gay people?

It never occurred to you that it’s really a tax and regulatory overreach issue.

你以为这是这是因为爱与恨,大胡子的中年男子歧视同性恋吗?你从来没想过这其实是税收和管理过度的问题。

Some guy working two jobs making $10.50 an hour doesn’t have much time to think about the difference between gender queer and two souls. Nor does he have much interest in learning.

那些打着两份工,每小时赚10.50刀的人才没有时间去考虑性别酷儿(既非男也非女的性别认知)和双魂人(two souls,LGBT的另一种称呼,目前不太明白该怎么翻译)又什么区别,他也没兴趣去了解。

But, by god, he’s right there with you when it comes to lawyers and bureaucrats being *****s and taxes being too damned high. He understands that.

但是,在面对**的律师和官僚,在面对奇高的收税时,他和你是一样的,这方面他绝对是明白人。

And what about that working class guy?

这些工人怎么了?

Where’d you lose him?

为什么会这样?

Go watch Harlan County, USA and ask yourself if all those union coal miners are dyed in the wool Republicans. That movie is set in 1976 and every last one of those hard-bitten bastards went to the polling booth and proudly voted union blue Democrat.

去看看《Harlan County, USA 》(一部挺老的纪录片,得过奥斯卡,主要讲述煤矿工人发起罢工),问问你自己那些煤矿工人到底是不是彻头彻尾的共和党。在这部1976年的电影这些硬气的老骨头就把票全都投给了蓝党。

Jimmy Carter won Kentucky that year by 7 percentage points.

Jimmy Carter以7个点的优势赢了肯塔基。

Bernie Sanders understood that.

Bernie Sanders再清楚不过了。

He came to deepest red Indiana and he pummeled Clinton in a humiliating defeat. He also won Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

他跑到深红的印第安纳让送给了克林顿一个大写的胜利。他同时还赢了密西根,维斯肯斯和明尼苏达。

His strategy in those states was simple and pure.

他在这些州的战术简单明了。

Find the nearest group of laid-off factory workers and promise to punish the bastards who closed their factory.

找到附近被下岗的工人让后承诺他会惩罚那些关闭工厂的混蛋。

Because that’s what Democrats are suppose to do.

因为这才是民主党该做的事。

In his heart of hearts, that high school educated factory worker knows with absolute certainty that management is a bunch of greedy bastards who’d lay off good people to save $.02 on the bottom line.

他深深地明白,即使有仅有高中学历的工人,对那些为了0.02刀的利润就能解雇工人的贪婪管理层的嘴脸,也是看的清清楚楚的。

Tap into that rage and turn it into something better.

理解这些愤怒,使之转化为力量吧。

——————————————————————————————

或许正如知乎的分析,这次意外的大选结果的直接原因正是美国国内意识形态的撕裂。这道挡在美国民众中间的鸿沟的一端是白左,另一端则是“默多”。一端营造着政治正确的白色恐怖,一端只得酝酿着自己的愤怒。

而根本原因,则应该是美国的经济政策使得贫富差距被无限的放大。幸运的是,即使美国的经济政策已经将美国的民众一分为二,灯塔国的根基却依然履行着自己的使命,使得唐纳德川普当上了总统。

这不是川普的胜利,这是“默多”的胜利。

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”