Motor Oil

来源: khyang86 2010-07-01 21:32:58 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1723 bytes)
Recently, I felt the car engine became more noisy, especially the valve lifters. So I suspected that the motor oil I am using may not did a good job. I searched on the internet and try to find a better motor oil. But suprisely, I found that many people complained about the new API SM standard. The SM standard oils are limited the usage of ZDDP, which is the anti-wear additive in the motor oil. However, the ZDDP will damage the catalytic converters so EPA asked the motor oil manufactures to eliminate it in the motor oil for gasoline engine. Most oil makers use Molly instead. Only few oil makes are still using ZDDP as the main anti-wear additive. AMSOIL, RED LINE, and MOTUL are the few available oils in US still using ZDDP. But they can not get API approval for their products because of the high ZDDP. That is why no auto parts stores carry them.

Some Porsche drivers/mechanics suggest to use Diesel CI standard 5W-40 synthetic oils on their Germain engines. The website has some pictures showing worn engine part at 35,000 miles using Mobil 1 0W-40 oils recommended by the Porsche.

I am not sure putting Diesel oil into a gasoline engine is a very good idea. But does anyone have a suggestion? Has anyone used Royal Purple before? Is it a better choice?

By the way, most synthetic oils on the current market like Mobil and Castrol are just Group 3 based oils. Mobil 1 oils used to be Group 4 based. Group 3 are highly refined petroleum and have better charactors than the regular oil base, but they are not vary much better than the ordinary motor oils in terms of protecting the engine parts. For most people, they are just waste of money and false feeling of better protections.

所有跟帖: 

Castrol Syntec 0W30 (European Formula) -Roadster- 给 Roadster 发送悄悄话 (35 bytes) () 07/01/2010 postreply 22:00:52

It is a very good oil. I checked the Castrol website. The number -khyang86- 给 khyang86 发送悄悄话 (539 bytes) () 07/03/2010 postreply 00:07:15

wow...surprising info! so no more Mobil 1? -lovecorn- 给 lovecorn 发送悄悄话 lovecorn 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/01/2010 postreply 22:31:41

That is probably correct. And Mercedes Benz especially not.. -khyang86- 给 khyang86 发送悄悄话 (225 bytes) () 07/02/2010 postreply 16:00:26

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”