《The Morning After》

来源: Katrina2005 2022-01-26 16:21:47 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (2835 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ Katrina2005 ] 在 2022-01-28 10:24:38 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Artist Statement 
When perfecting his magnum opus “A Streetcar Named Desire” over the course of ten years, Tennessee Williams played with multiple endings after Blanche Dubois is raped by her brother-in-law, Stanley Kowalski. With one option of Blanche and Stanley falling in love too improbable and immoral, and another of Blanche committing suicide via streetcar too on the nose, he eventually settled on the time skip we know now, characterized by Blanche’s disorientation and distress as she is dragged to a mental institution. Williams deliberately leaves the direct aftermath within the two weeks after Blanche is raped unclear, left to the reader’s imagination— an idea I explore within my painting Scene 10.5- The Morning After.

In recreating the unwritten scene when Blanche wakes up alone, I combine character details and artistic interpretation to form my composition. First, it was important to emphasize the uncomfortable, uncharacteristic state that Blanche is in. Throughout the play, Blanche continually shies away from bright light because she is afraid of others seeing her true age and uncovering the intricate disguise she wears. However, in my composition, warm daylight streams through the window, illuminating Blanche; as the sunlight exposes her battered state, she is forced to confront her vulnerabilities. When creating my composition, I took inspiration from John Sargent’s Madame— another portrait of a beautiful, desirable woman. Yet while the former invokes elegant dignity, Blanche in Scene 10.5- The Morning After has had her dignity wrested away. Bruises dot her neck, unwashed makeup smears her face, and an empty wine bottle rests haphazardly on the table, hinting at the events of the night prior. A tormented expression paints her face, while her hand clutches at her chest. Light, pastel colors— reminiscent of Blanche’s characterization as a delicate and frail moth— contrast with the horrific assault Blanche just faced. The room is empty and gloomy, and the curtain that served as Blanche’s only vanguard against Stanley is purposely cast aside. Blanche is deliberately at odds with her environment. These artistic choices create a haunting yet delicate, tranquil yet tormented exploration of Scene 10.5- The Morning After.

所有跟帖: 

画的真好。 -love1111- 给 love1111 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/26/2022 postreply 16:29:27

画的好 -吹着吹着就牛了- 给 吹着吹着就牛了 发送悄悄话 吹着吹着就牛了 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/26/2022 postreply 18:19:59

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”