Beggers and Empathy

来源: yude 2021-05-11 09:22:39 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1513 bytes)

This is what I shared with my kids about my childhood.  

We live in a small village where villagers raise pigs to sell for cash, hens for eggs, cattles and horses for farming and transportation; where eggs and meats are only reserved for special occasions at weddings or funerals, for the lucky few, at birthdays.

Compare to stories that I hear from my grandparents, we are relatively well off, we have productive farm land, and we have reasonable cadets. We always have corn flour, wheat flour during the harvest season, and fresh vegetables in the growing season, and picked vegetables in the off season.

There are folks who are much less fortunate, especially displaced folks for whatever reason. They are from outside our county or province. They speak a different dialogue, and I do not understand what they are saying, or I am too afraid of them to even pay attent to them when they come begging in our yard. (I just made up term "displaced" now when I wrote this sentence, for my owned understanding).

Not my grandma. Everytime there is a begger approaching our yard, my grandma always makes sure that the person does not leave empty handed. She always shares a piece of corn bread, boiled water, or wheat bread if we have, or starts a conversaion. Sometimes, I am tasked in handing over a piece of bread. The gratititude and the smile in exchange is unforgetable. I never once heard my grandma utter any disrespectful word.

所有跟帖: 

善良是祖辈的血液。您是云南人吗?可以问是哪个民族的吗?我去过云南,很漂亮 -艾阳- 给 艾阳 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/11/2021 postreply 09:27:00

是. 太行山西. -yude- 给 yude 发送悄悄话 yude 的博客首页 (95 bytes) () 05/11/2021 postreply 09:38:17

生活在桃花源中。 -东施爱美- 给 东施爱美 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/11/2021 postreply 09:42:43

從前的老人家信佛,喜歡行善積德。我奶奶也是一樣。文革時,很多人都不願意難為她。 -wlwt123- 给 wlwt123 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/11/2021 postreply 09:55:00

我外公人品好,虽说是小资本家,但是雇佣的人都替他说话,文革只是被点名批评。 -东施爱美- 给 东施爱美 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/11/2021 postreply 10:00:49

取决于掌权的那个人心有多狠。我外公被批时,所以佃户都说他的好话,一样没能活下来 -一川枫叶- 给 一川枫叶 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/11/2021 postreply 12:06:44

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”