Journalism and Mass Communication

来源: Mike121212 2020-10-13 22:30:51 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (2166 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ Mike121212 ] 在 2020-10-14 03:00:39 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
回答: 提出来专门说凊荷2020-10-13 15:44:49

Grace is an amazing and truly talented girl.

I have seen a lot of her on Youtube and am impressed by her poise, her elegance, her wittiness, the way she carries herself, and the maturity she exhibits on the Ellen DeGeneres Show. Such a rare talent cannot be measured with the normal standards of GPA and SAT in college applications. Her potential is unlimited, and if she is lucky (or shall I say if the school is lucky) she may be able to get into some Ivies and other top schools.

Some on this board advise her to apply to journalism schools but I have have a second thought about it.
First of all, journalism is not the same as mass communication, and is totally different from entertainment. The core of journalism is impartial and unsensational reporting and the most challenging part of journalism is investigative journalsim (Wall Street Journal's report on Theranos is a good example). What Grace has done on the Ellen DeGeneres Show thus far is more on the mass communication or entertainment side than on journalism. I am sure Grace can be an outstanding journalist given her excellence in humanities and her unparallelled skills in oral communication, if that is where her passion lies.

However she has to ask herself if she is truly passionate about journalism or her heart is in mass commincation or entertainment. If it is the latter, then the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism is a better fit for her than the Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism, for an example. True journalism demands a lot of investigating, writing, and editing on the background and it is mostly not glamourous. 

My kid was accepted by Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism last year and what I learned is that the AOs and the interviewer valued the true passion for journalism and the love/ability to write way more than GPA/SAT.

Good luck, Grace!
Be all you can be!

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”