计划上UCB EECS或其它专业的确实要三思,很多加州家长见识短误导了自己的娃,读了这位UCB加州娃的痛苦,让人很sad

来源: volleyball22 2019-02-10 10:34:04 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (13478 bytes)

不如上阿斯容纳州大,人生关键的大学旅程可以放松快乐成长,同学互相正面影响,成为一个健康的人(包括道德,灵魂和肉体), 看着这位UCB学生的描述,让人很不安。

::::::::::::::::::::::

Former Berkeley undergrad, currently doing my PhD at UChicago.

The darkest truth about Berkeley is it's actually the worst UC campus to get an education but no one will admit it because of one main reason—

Berkeley students are some of the most mindlessly cutthroat people on this earth, and will never admit to anything that jeopardizes their social standing and anything that triggers their inferiority complex.

I was a political science major at Berkeley. I picked it over UPenn because I didn't qualify for financial aid and my parents didn't want to pay for my tuition at UPenn. It didn't matter to me at first. I grew up in the Bay Area and the impression of everyone was Berkeley was a good school equal in prestige to the best of any school in this country. That was the gospel and I took it as truth. I felt no qualms giving up UPenn for Berkeley because I thought I was going to get the same quality education for a fraction of the cost.

I was wrong.

As the Chinese say "一分钱一分货", meaning "you get what you pay for".

The academic culture at Berkeley was toxic.

This is an understatement. Because you never really know how much people hate you until you start standing in the way of their success, especially insecure people from humble backgrounds whose lives depended on their doing well in college.

One's mere existence on the campus of Berkeley means he/she is in the way of someone else's path to success by default.

The classes were massive. Despite having little to no personal attention from the professors and having distracting chatter among people in lecture halls sporadically drowning out important bits in any lecture, people hated you for asking questions.

Every time someone asked a question in a lecture, you can hear the derision of a not insignificant portion of students in a combination of grunts, sighs, and the classic "pfft". They are basically saying, "don't waste my time". And so throughout my Berkeley career, beginning with my first lecture, I stopped asking questions in lecture.

I didn't think any of it at first. So the students are a little bit competitive and arrogant, nothing I can't handle. I just have to answer my own questions by doing my own reading.

That was until I sat in a lecture for an introduction class as a TA at UChicago. The class was small, and students understood the value of listening to questions of other students, and the value of collaborative learning. One basic question lead to another, and not before long, they were asking questions regarding the professor's own research, and coming up with thoughts and ideas that benefitted my own research.

The competition of Berkeley was so severe, that I heard rumours of an Asian female girl whom I knew, sleeping with a professor to get a recommendation, and eventually went to Stanford for her graduate work on the back of that recommendation.

Cheating, was common and widespread. There were cheating syndicates, who have through experience and ingenuity, devised methods of cheating that I've never have seen before. One guy submitted a blank blue book during an exam, and came back later, looking frantic and apologetic, claiming that he had submitted the wrong blue book, and the professor accepted the one he brought in from outside the lecture hall. This is not an isolated event.

Because classes are so massive, it is extremely difficult to enforce academic honesty.

Cheating syndicates would sit diagonally behind one another in a midterm exam, and because of the design of the lecture halls, they could easily copy off the person sitting in front and to the side of them, eventually culminating with a single person sitting in a corner with a cheat sheet tucked into his thick winter jacket that goes unnoticed because he was sat against the wall.

In one of my economics classes, someone offered to pay me $200 to cheat off me, which I obviously refused and reported.

I don't know if this happens at other universities, but the obsession with grades and not learning at Berkeley was taking all the fun out of learning. Instead of questions asked about the content of the lecture, we got questions being asked left, right and center, which roughly meant one thing—is it going to be on the test?

As a political science major, it was hard to get research opportunities. Office hours were always overcrowded, let alone having the time to ask your professor if he/she needed a research assistant. If you did raise the question, chances are, the professor already has far more RA doing free grunt work than he/she would ever need.

This is where the student faculty ratio can be a real impediment to those who want to enter academia. Even if you're the top student in any class, which I always was, professors are too backed up with needy students to give you any attention about graduate school.

With the militant leftism that is going on there, the environment at Berkeley will only become more hostile in the years to come.

I wrote this anonymously because no Berkeley student will ever admit to anything I imputed above. It does them no good to admit that Berkeley students are scheming and cutthroat, because nobody in their right minds want to work with someone who will sabotage them when they have the chance.

There is no real school spirit at Berkeley because to be honest, nobody really wants to be here. Most of them are only here because they cannot afford to go to the more swanky schools they were offered and are salty. I personally gave up studying at UPenn. I have to admit that I am salty. But even in freshman year you hear students giving up better schools like Yale, Columbia, even Harvard because they do not qualify for financial aid, yet their parents refuse to pay for tuition. They will never fail to mention to you that they could have gone to a better school. So right at the outset, Berkeley students already have a chip on their shoulders.

My twin brother went to UC Davis over Berkeley because he was studying food science. He's now at Cornell. Based on our exchanges, I honestly should have gone to Davis.

My advice for any prospective UC student, do not obsess over Berkeley. It's not worth it. Every UC campus is the same school. Employers are honestly not going to care whether you went to Berkeley or Irvine. My cousin was from UCI and he's currently at BCG. You'll be surprised how little people care about which UC campus you graduate from, because this is how all your diplomas will look like—

Go to a more nurturing UC, get the diploma that looks almost exactly like the one above, and get a funded offer to a more prestigious school. I personally do not think Berkeley is that much more prestigious than UCLA or UC Davis. In fact, I think students of other UCs are far more well-adjusted than Berkeley students.

I was in Dwinelle Hall a couple of weeks ago and visited the men’s room in the basement. It looked exactly as it did when I was going to Poli Sci lectures there in 1978. The fixtures, the wall tiles, the floor tiles, all looked exactly the same. And they were old in 1978.

UC Berkeley is a great school, with amazing faculty and students. The people there are first-rate. But the physical plant itself is extremely uneven, with brand new buildings sitting next to buildings that have been near derelict for decades.

That is to say nothing of the fact that a significant contingent of the student body suffers from housing and food insecurity. The school simply does not have money to provide for them decently. It is criminal that the State of California has allowed this gem of a school to decay in this way.

•  

所有跟帖: 

我儿子也是这么说 -天光云影- 给 天光云影 发送悄悄话 天光云影 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/10/2019 postreply 10:45:00

呵呵, 意志不强或不太牛的,UCB的CS的确不容易 -iGarage- 给 iGarage 发送悄悄话 iGarage 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/10/2019 postreply 10:50:21

这篇文章的作者1978年上的UCB -糖果果- 给 糖果果 发送悄悄话 糖果果 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/10/2019 postreply 11:12:41

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”