McKinsey: Automation may wipe out 1/3 of US workforce by 2030

来源: career 2017-11-29 21:42:30 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4754 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ career ] 在 2017-11-29 21:43:15 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

John Mauldin | Nov 29, 2017

McKinsey: Automation may wipe out 1/3 of America’s workforce by 2030

As I’ve been working on my new book, The Age of Transformation, the chapter on the future of work has been the most challenging one to think and write about; and so I’m always on the lookout for good thinking and new data. Now, McKinsey & Co. has come out with a comprehensive report on the predicted near-future effects of automation on employment.

International in scope, the report, entitled “Jobs Lost, Jobs Gained: Workforce Transitions in a Time of Automation,” takes us a big step closer to understanding the massive impacts of the transformation we are now embarked upon. 

Since the report itself is 160 pages long (but very readable), today’s Outside the Box is a helpful review of the report that appeared this morning on the Axios site. The review’s author, Steve LeVine, has this to say about the scope of the employment challenge:

The transition compares to the U.S. shift from a largely agricultural to an industrial-services economy in the early 1900s forward. But this time, it’s not young people leaving farms, but mid-career workers who need new skills. “There are few precedents in which societies have successfully retrained such large numbers of people,” the report says, and that is the key question: how do you retrain people in their 30s, 40s and 50s for entirely new professions?

Good question! Since the bulk of those displaced will have been doing what McKinsey terms “predictable physical” labor, and since the new jobs that are created will, the report says, “require social and emotional skills, creativity, [and] high-level cognitive capabilities,” there is likely to be severe stress on our existing educational and job-training systems.

McKinsey estimates that up to 30% of the hours worked globally may be automated by 2030, with more workers displaced in advanced than in emerging countries. A third of the US workforce could be seeking new employment. If our middle class is on shaky ground now – and creating seismic social and political pressures – where will be after 12 more years of technological disruption?

Good question. This is all part of a theme that I have been writing about: the fragmentation of society. I am more and more concerned. There is a tremendous amount of frustration in this country now. I don’t see the “tax reform” that seems to be working its way through the peristaltic innards of Congress making the middle class feel any better. 

所有跟帖: 

Professions most/least susceptible -career- 给 career 发送悄悄话 (2688 bytes) () 11/29/2017 postreply 21:53:55

想都不用想,这是做梦,有的州现在加油站都不许self service 呢,多少就业岗位啊 -Tufa- 给 Tufa 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/29/2017 postreply 22:17:51

加油站就业岗位=min wage---not worth a robot's battery. -career- 给 career 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/29/2017 postreply 22:26:36

這是出於安全原因 ... -mif2016- 给 mif2016 发送悄悄话 (373 bytes) () 11/30/2017 postreply 05:44:38

还有OR -Tufa- 给 Tufa 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/30/2017 postreply 05:50:32

Whole Foods还有收银员啊,虽然亚马逊的自动收银技术早已开发出来。自动化不仅是技术问题, -大观园的贾探春- 给 大观园的贾探春 发送悄悄话 大观园的贾探春 的博客首页 (308 bytes) () 11/30/2017 postreply 05:45:15

自动收银技术应用还不行:) --百科-- 给 -百科- 发送悄悄话 -百科- 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/30/2017 postreply 07:21:08

不过也是早晚的事儿:) --百科-- 给 -百科- 发送悄悄话 -百科- 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/30/2017 postreply 07:21:23

自动化不是技术问题,是社会问题。绝不可能人人做高端工作,普通人必须有个工作 -Hanjia- 给 Hanjia 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/30/2017 postreply 08:56:15

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”