下面是一个教授对这个视频的留言,表达对目前社会方向的担忧

来源: 奔腾1918 2016-09-15 22:35:35 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (5030 bytes)

I used to teach chemistry courses at the university. From time to time a freshman student in my class would proceed to tell me that I was stupid and clearly did not understand chemistry because I did not support the concept of global warming according to what they thought I should. I have been routinely told by people, many without any college training or even science classes in high school, tell me that I am the "wrong kind of scientist" so I cannot possibly understand global warming nor can I have any kind of credible opinion on the subject while they do. I have even had people with no science background demand to see my resume (not realizing that scientists us a curriculum vitae instead) so they can evaluate whether or not I am a competent scientist based upon my publication list (Assuming they could understand the title of a paper talking about the generation of a room temperature stabilized sydnone free radical synthesized using ferrocenylmethyl triammonium iodide [My senior year independent study research project].)
>
I had a bicycle ministry where I would spend hundreds of hours every spring, summer and fall, taking in broken bicycles, repairing them, and then giving them to low income children in the inner city. On more than one occasion I was spat upon for things like telling people that one child gets one bicycle and not two, for not having the right color, and so forth. Being threatened with violence, being screamed at with obscenities, and so forth were even more common.
>
The list of absurdities goes on and on.
>
What all this indicates is how there are many who have been coddled or who have been given so much and nothing was demanded in return. This has resulted in a generation or population of people who believe that they are allowed to do or say whatever they want, who are insulted by the most trivial event, wno are the perpetual victim, and so forth.
>
This all stems from the lack of personal responsibility and accountability. When there is no personal responsibility or accountability, there is no empathy, there is no consideration, there is no work ethic, or so many other positive attributes - there is only selfishness and a self centered view of the world.
>
This is the epitome of failure and failure on many levels.. It is a failure because people feel free to demand everything from others and nothing from themselves, failure to take responsibility to ensure the job gets done and done right (and an unsuccessful result is always someone else's fault), failure to have any empathy, failure to be able to make a commitment, failure from unbridled and unearned arrogance, and so forth.
>
The result of all of this is complete incompetence. What is worse is that our colleges, our government, parents, and so many others enable this behavior. Providing essentially unlimited welfare without any real work requirements, refusing to accurately report the news when it involves people of your political persuasion behaving badly, refusing to enforce the laws for so many, reducing expectations to the lowest common denominator, and so forth, are all causes that conspire to enable and even justify this behavior.
>
This leaves us with a choice. We can turn this ship around and start requiring people to adhere to the law, we can enforce standards, we can demand that people work to their level of ability, we can demand personal responsibility, and so forth, but to do so would hurt the feelings of those who are so involved with helping others. If we do not make these changes, then we will not only fail, but we will fail catastrophically on every level throughout the entire country.
>
This leaves us with a choice. We can start demanding more of people which amounts to demanding that which has been demanded of people for millennia or we can refuse to hurt the feeling of the precious little buttercups. Given the choice, I fear the country will demand the latter and, should they do so, then we will suffer the result and get what we so richly deserve. What is so amazing about all of this is that this has happened so many times before throughout human history and yet we never learn. "They" claim that this time it's different, but it really isn't.

所有跟帖: 

小孩子容易被洗脑了 --百科-- 给 -百科- 发送悄悄话 -百科- 的博客首页 (59 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 22:44:02

现在高校里的某些风气已经超越学校这个范围,正成为整个社会的折射 -奔腾1918- 给 奔腾1918 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 22:48:30

globe warming本来就是政客搞出来的东西,去怪小孩子也没必要。敢于对那样的政客说不才行。 --百科-- 给 -百科- 发送悄悄话 -百科- 的博客首页 (347 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 22:52:16

问题是高等院校做为intellectual institute是个对学生挑战的地方,现在的学生已经被“惯坏”了,一点不同的意见就 -奔腾1918- 给 奔腾1918 发送悄悄话 (196 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 22:58:07

太自由了。只有方圆,没有规矩。 -落城一哥- 给 落城一哥 发送悄悄话 落城一哥 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 23:00:44

学生觉得他们是客户。等他们需要自己挣钱就知道了:) --百科-- 给 -百科- 发送悄悄话 -百科- 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 23:04:49

而且这个趋势越来越强,学校在给所谓“安全空间”上成了“保姆”,不能有一点冒犯, -奔腾1918- 给 奔腾1918 发送悄悄话 (50 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 23:00:54

以后上学得签合同? -千里一盏灯- 给 千里一盏灯 发送悄悄话 千里一盏灯 的博客首页 (142 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 05:18:57

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”