耶鲁教授被某些学生mob围攻的视频令人震惊,未来的藤校精英就是这样的吗?(视频)

来源: 奔腾1918 2016-09-15 22:27:31 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (9436 bytes)

Watch A Mob Of Yale Students Bully A Professor They Say Hurt Their Feelings

Bre Payton

By

By now you’ve probably seen this video from last fall in which a Yale student screams at a professor, insisting that a college campus ought not be an intellectual space, but a space to make students feel safe and at home. Now, newly resurfaced videos show what happened just before the aforementioned altercation took place.

“You should not sleep at night!” a female student shrieks at Yale sociology professor Nicholas Christakis in that video which has since gone viral. “You’re disgusting!”

-----------------------------------------------------

To recap, her cries are in objection to an email Nicholas Christakis’s wife, Erika Christakis (who is also a professor at Yale), sent to the student body last fall in response to the administration’s insistence that students ought to avoid dressing up for Halloween in ways that could be “culturally unaware or insensitive.”

“Have we lost faith in young people’s capacity—in your capacity—to exercise self-censure, through social norming, and also in your capacity to ignore or reject things that trouble you?” Erika wrote. “What does this debate about Halloween costumes say about our view of young adults, of their strength and judgment? Whose business is it to control the forms of costumes of young people? It’s not mine, I know that.”

The email spurred a firestorm of outrage from the student body — particularly among minority students living and attending classes at Yale’s Silliman College where the Christakises served as “master” and “associate master,” a title for professors who reside at one of Yale’s colleges and are responsible for its academic and social life. The title has since been changed to “head of college” in the wake of last year’s protests, as many students thought the term was racist.

In response to the email, a mob of nearly 100 students from Silliman College surround Nicholas and took turns berating and screaming at him — demanding an apology for saying things that hurt their feelings. One of these exchanges between Nicholas and these students is what resulted in that 1:20-minute-long video that got so much attention last year.

This week, Tablet Magazine’s James Kirchick wrote about the incident and included four videos capturing the exchange, which he obtained from a source at Yale. Altogether, the footage is nearly 25 minutes long — during which Nicholas manages to keep his cool in an attempt to rationally discuss his wife’s email with a cluster of impassioned students. The scene is chaotic — students verbally attack Nicholas, demanding he apologize for his wife’s “racist” comments. Ultimately, he does not decry the content of Erika’s email, but he emphatically and repeatedly apologizes for any pain her words caused.

The first female student he speaks to individually, whom he calls on after noting that she had her hand raised, demands that he call her by her name before she will speak to him.

“Sorry, what’s my name first?” she says with a smirk.

“See, that’s the thing, I have over 500 students,” Nicholas says.

“I was in your class freshman year,” she continues. “You were my sophomore year advisor. . . I live here, I eat in the dining hall for all three meals. And you should know my name. My name is Mikayla.”

She goes on to demand an apology for the email and during their exchange, another student who identifies herself as Lisa interjects before eventually storming off in tears.

“So then apologize!” she screams before bursting into tears. “I don’t understand the issue!” Lisa says between sobs.

“First of all, I would like to apologize for hurting your feelings,” he said. “In addition I will acknowledge that comes from a very deep and legitimate source of complaint. I understand it. I understand to the extent that I can some of the struggles that many of you have had.”

This apology did not satisfy this group of students who demanded he call wife’s words racist.

“Let us define our own experiences,” a student says. “Let us tell you if you’re being racist.”

“No, no,” Christakis says.

“Actually, that is how it works, okay?” shouts another student.

After another student gets in Nicholas’s face, he tries to calm tension by embracing the student, who responds nastily.

“The situation right now does not require you to smile,” he says.

“This is my home, and you came in here!” a hysterical female student says.

“You have created space for violence!” another shouts.

“I do not respect you,” a female student wearing a black headband says after refusing to shake Christakis’s hand. “I’m looking at the smirk in your face and I’m disgusted.”

“I want your job to be taken from you,” she continues. “I don’t want you to have this job. I’m disgusted knowing that you work at Yale University where I will get my degree — where I will look back and think I had to argue with you!”

After several minutes of shouting, the student finally says he will leave the courtyard to go watch TV when it becomes apparent Nicholas will not say what she wants him to.

“I’m going to live my life knowing that you’re going to be the disgusting man you were 20 second ago, a minute ago, 30 minutes ago,” she says, before she walks out of the camera frame. “This is sick. I’m done!”

As Kirchick points out in his summation of the footage, it’s apparent that the video that went viral last year was not taken out of context like a fellow Yale professor claimed. Based on this footage, it’s clear the students at Yale were incapable of having a rational discussion with another individual who dared to push back against their hasty accusations of racism. Despite what others have tried to claim, it’s plain as day many of those students who loudly disrupted the campus with their protest really were crybabies that threw tizzies over an email about Halloween costumes.

The Christakis stepped down from their residential positions at Silliman College this May.

Bre Payton is a staff writer at The Federalist. Follow her on Twitter.
===============================

所有跟帖: 

这个场景跟1968年的中国高校何其类似 -奔腾1918- 给 奔腾1918 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 22:28:02

下面是一个教授对这个视频的留言,表达对目前社会方向的担忧 -奔腾1918- 给 奔腾1918 发送悄悄话 (5030 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 22:35:35

小孩子容易被洗脑了 --百科-- 给 -百科- 发送悄悄话 -百科- 的博客首页 (59 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 22:44:02

现在高校里的某些风气已经超越学校这个范围,正成为整个社会的折射 -奔腾1918- 给 奔腾1918 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 22:48:30

globe warming本来就是政客搞出来的东西,去怪小孩子也没必要。敢于对那样的政客说不才行。 --百科-- 给 -百科- 发送悄悄话 -百科- 的博客首页 (347 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 22:52:16

问题是高等院校做为intellectual institute是个对学生挑战的地方,现在的学生已经被“惯坏”了,一点不同的意见就 -奔腾1918- 给 奔腾1918 发送悄悄话 (196 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 22:58:07

太自由了。只有方圆,没有规矩。 -落城一哥- 给 落城一哥 发送悄悄话 落城一哥 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 23:00:44

学生觉得他们是客户。等他们需要自己挣钱就知道了:) --百科-- 给 -百科- 发送悄悄话 -百科- 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 23:04:49

而且这个趋势越来越强,学校在给所谓“安全空间”上成了“保姆”,不能有一点冒犯, -奔腾1918- 给 奔腾1918 发送悄悄话 (50 bytes) () 09/15/2016 postreply 23:00:54

以后上学得签合同? -千里一盏灯- 给 千里一盏灯 发送悄悄话 千里一盏灯 的博客首页 (142 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 05:18:57

youtube上传的时间是2015年11月。这是什么时候发生的? -datuzi- 给 datuzi 发送悄悄话 (52 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 03:37:24

the answer is yes! -Doggy1- 给 Doggy1 发送悄悄话 (17 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 04:49:32

不可否认藤校难进,但是 -又当爹来又当妈- 给 又当爹来又当妈 发送悄悄话 又当爹来又当妈 的博客首页 (335 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 05:08:42

先说说你家闺女爬不爬吧?嘿嘿 -教导l- 给 教导l 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 05:27:10

不爬 -又当爹来又当妈- 给 又当爹来又当妈 发送悄悄话 又当爹来又当妈 的博客首页 (223 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 05:34:37

好,让我们拭目以待。嘿嘿 -教导l- 给 教导l 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 05:47:32

很多藤校毕业生在给州大毕业生当马仔。 更多州大毕业生给藤校毕业生当马仔。 -kybluegrass- 给 kybluegrass 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 06:10:27

宪法进化了。公民个人权力在增加。公民责任在弱化。“受害者”是新神位, 类似工农兵。 -prouddd- 给 prouddd 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 05:34:26

也不能说“公民责任弱化, 应该是两极分化, 不想负责的就不负责, 能负责的多负责, 总责任是一样的。 -prouddd- 给 prouddd 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 05:39:14

Accusation of racial discrimination makes you mad and irrational -Derrick_Liu- 给 Derrick_Liu 发送悄悄话 (1033 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 06:25:56

If AA comes to an end, isn't that something to celebrate?? -Derrick_Liu- 给 Derrick_Liu 发送悄悄话 (503 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 06:45:14

教授是铁饭碗,但丢了不好再找。可遇到什么学生又不可预料,看来教授也是高危职业。 -7Sle- 给 7Sle 发送悄悄话 7Sle 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 07:13:37

+100, 那么疯狂的态度,她自己不觉得丢人?!She lost her cool,she is a loser. 谁还在乎她讲 -7Sle- 给 7Sle 发送悄悄话 7Sle 的博客首页 (144 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 07:07:06

没有雇主敢雇她,可能家里有钱不需工作。 -7Sle- 给 7Sle 发送悄悄话 7Sle 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 07:20:36

这不是学生,是bitch -十全老人- 给 十全老人 发送悄悄话 十全老人 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 08:14:14

除了教室和办公室,教授不必在其他任何场合和学生见面。 -十全老人- 给 十全老人 发送悄悄话 十全老人 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/16/2016 postreply 08:18:07

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”