Yale Student Admitted By Mistake (ZT)

来源: BeLe 2016-04-19 14:20:54 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5597 bytes)

Yale Student Admitted By Mistake 

http://yalerecord.org/2016/04/19/yale-student-admitted-by-mistake/

NEW HAVEN, CT—Samuel Nipson ‘19 had nearly completed his freshman year at Yale University when it was discovered that his admission was actually the result of a clerical error, the Yale Office of Undergraduate Admissions reported Tuesday.

“This was a rather rare case,” noted Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Jeremiah Quinlan. “Yale University typically maintains a 6.3% acceptance rate, a 71.7% yield rate, and a 99.97% accuracy rate. We really dropped the ball on this one.” Quinlan later explained that the 99.97% was due to their 2007 admission of a very realistic Vineyard Vines mannequin.

“It was certainly a disappointment, but I wouldn’t necessarily call it a surprise,” Nipson told reporters while packing up his tenth grade science fair board and the stuffed elephant that was the subject of his charming, relatable Common App essay. “I always had this lingering feeling that I wasn’t smart enough to be here and that I was admitted by mistake. Turns out I was right.” Nipson was given seventy-two hours to vacate his residence on Old Campus and remove all traces of his former occupancy.

“It’s common for incoming freshmen to experience impostor syndrome,” explained Tiffany Liu ’16, Nipson’s freshman counselor and a Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology and Ethics, Environmental and Evolutionary Biology and Economics double major. “Part of my job as a FroCo is to remind students that they are special. I had a hard time conveying this to Sam, though, probably because I was never quite convinced myself.”

Nipson described his freshman experience as “a bit rocky,” possibly referring to his rejection from four improv groups and six a cappella groups, including the B-Flats, Yale’s premier a cappella group for non-singers. His admission file noted that he had solid grades, decent extra-curriculars, and existent yet unremarkable achievements in piano and soccer. However, due to a filing cabinet malfunction, his application was mistakenly placed in the “large parental donation” category and then immediately accepted.

“Sam always knew how to cheer me up,” said Joseph Siegel ‘19, Nipson’s roommate who now gets a double all to himself. “He used to say, ‘Don’t get so down on yourself, Joey. Sometimes I feel like I was admitted here by mistake.’ I guess I always just assumed that was a metaphor or something.”

The admissions office first took notice of Nipson after a teaching assistant reported a particularly sub-par comment Nipson made during a discussion section. “We were debating the significance of Plato’s ‘Allegory of the Cave’ in a modern political context, and Sam made a comment that indicated little more than a surface-level understanding of the text,” remarked Marketa Strelnikova, who led Nipson’s discussion section for Introduction to Philosophy. “That really colored everyone’s perception of Sam throughout the semester, both as a student and as an individual.”

“This whole thing has definitely been a challenge, but my overall outlook is positive,” Nipson said in an interview with Yale Daily News reporter, accomplished classical pianist, and non-profit founder Jessica Ferris ‘18. “Now I can finally take some time to relax and be myself without worrying that I’m wasting opportunities or not living up to my full potential.”

Nipson plans to enroll in the state school he always expected he’d go to and take up some new hobbies, like woodworking, playing League of Legends, and not constantly wallowing in self-hatred.

—J. Rosenblum

所有跟帖: 

喔! -飞*星- 给 飞*星 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 14:27:39

既然录取了。就让他接着念呗。 -千里一盏灯- 给 千里一盏灯 发送悄悄话 千里一盏灯 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 14:32:20

这样把人赶走了? -shangh_r- 给 shangh_r 发送悄悄话 (29 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 14:39:51

其实就是说明如果这孩子家捐钱就能进耶鲁。学校里有其他和他一样的孩子,智商不是问题。 -gossipgirl8- 给 gossipgirl8 发送悄悄话 gossipgirl8 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 14:41:38

a Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology and Ethics, Envi -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (370 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 14:45:40

看他是如何被揭穿的这段 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (923 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 14:49:20

还有那些富人家的孩子,譬如象Bush这样的 -ianma- 给 ianma 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 15:12:49

富人家孩子私高里还是见过猪跑的。跟AA还是不一样 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 15:30:48

此地众人真容易被忽悠 LOL -数学大侠- 给 数学大侠 发送悄悄话 数学大侠 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 14:49:33

当初耶鲁错把他当成"large doner" 的孩子。他父母没交银子,凭什么白给他上学。*****无情,耶鲁无义. -kybluegrass- 给 kybluegrass 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 14:49:44

"large donor". Typo. -kybluegrass- 给 kybluegrass 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 14:51:11

It's a joke. -1962547- 给 1962547 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 14:59:42

It is from a humor magazine - not real -Smilee- 给 Smilee 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 15:34:16

Stanford也说过这样的话,听人家家长说过,呵呵。 -红与蓝- 给 红与蓝 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 16:14:47

The Yale Record is the campus humor magazine. Founded in 1872, i -mmmwww- 给 mmmwww 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 17:54:01

这句话是关键: -money4ivy- 给 money4ivy 发送悄悄话 (133 bytes) () 04/19/2016 postreply 22:09:04

A girl from my daughter's school was accepted by standford this -starfisf-button- 给 starfisf-button 发送悄悄话 (138 bytes) () 04/20/2016 postreply 16:02:18

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”