美国新一代大学生要求大学“哄者他们”不能让他们听见让他们觉得“不舒服”的任何字眼

来源: luxh009 2015-11-11 12:35:37 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2793 bytes)

The Coddling of the American Mind

In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don't like. Here's why that's disastrous for education—and mental health.

Something strange is happening at America’s colleges and universities. A movement is arising, undirected and driven largely by students, to scrub campuses clean of words, ideas, and subjects that might cause discomfort or give offense. Last December, Jeannie Suk wrote in an online article for The New Yorker about law students asking her fellow professors at Harvard not to teach rape law—or, in one case, even use the word violate (as in “that violates the law”) lest it cause students distress. In February, Laura Kipnis, a professor at Northwestern University, wrote an essay in The Chronicle of Higher Education describing a new campus politics of sexual paranoia—and was then subjected to a long investigation after students who were offended by the article and by a tweet she’d sent filed Title IX complaints against her. In June, a professor protecting himself with a pseudonym wrote an essay for Vox describing how gingerly he now has to teach. “I’m a Liberal Professor, and My Liberal Students Terrify Me,” the headline said. A number of popular comedians, including Chris Rock, have stopped performing on college campuses (see Caitlin Flanagan’s article in this month’s issue). Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Maher have publicly condemned the oversensitivity of college students, saying too many of them can't take a joke.

Rest of the article , please read the following link

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

所有跟帖: 

要翻天? -怪哉- 给 怪哉 发送悄悄话 怪哉 的博客首页 (169 bytes) () 11/11/2015 postreply 12:40:29

是大学生们越来越脆弱 -luxh009- 给 luxh009 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/11/2015 postreply 12:57:44

挫折教育还是应该有的 -怪哉- 给 怪哉 发送悄悄话 怪哉 的博客首页 (38 bytes) () 11/11/2015 postreply 13:14:50

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”