小娃看问题就是犀利:)

来源: MMXIAO 2014-09-02 13:52:20 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4757 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ MMXIAO ] 在 2014-09-02 14:03:17 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
开学一周了。这学期,孩子学校每周都发简报,向家长汇报学校情况。今天的简报来了。有个小朋友的小故事,让俺这个大人自叹不如阿!
小朋友的名字都没给,从孩子的阅读内容看,我猜可能是一年级和二年级组的小朋友干的事儿。

After completing a literature web on Aesop’s “The Wolf and the Lion” (key words, feelings, ideas, images and symbols), we composed a letter to a local attorney to discuss the legal implications of the scenario in the fable.
Excerpt from Our Email to a Houston Attorney:
We have had a legal issue come up in class. We were discussing one of Aesop’s fables in Language Arts. In the fable, a wolf stole a sheep and started to take it back to its lair. Then, a lion came up and stole the sheep from the wolf.
Some of us think that the wolf’s theft is worse than the lion’s, because it stole the sheep from an honest shepherd. The lion just stole the sheep from a thief.
Others of us thought that the lion was worse than the wolf, because when he stole something that was stolen, it was double-stealing. If they were people and not animals, do you think that they should both get the same prison time? Here are other examples. Pretend someone stole 10 pencils from someone. Then, someone else stole the pencils from that person. Who gets the longer punishment? If someone robs a bank, then another robber robs the robber, who gets the longer prison sentence?
We would appreciate your professional opinion.

Sincerely,
Ms. Cr’s Period 6

His reply:
Dear Friends in Period 6:
I always love hearing from Mrs. Cr’s class. You raise some very interesting questions. 
It is important to recognize that there can be a difference between “legal” and “moral.” An act is legal if it is allowed by the law. An act is moral if it is seen as good or right by a person or community. Let me give you an example. If Joe* (who would never do such a thing) told Sue* a lie about what he did over the summer break, I think we would all agree that was wrong. Joe’s lie would be immoral. But guess what? It would not be illegal. The State of Texas does not have a law that would make it a crime to tell a lie in that situation (telling lies can be a crime in other situations, but that’s for another day). So, legal and moral are not always the same.
Now, about that wolf and lion… 
The law would look at the wolf and the lion as equally guilty of the crime of theft. From a “legal” perspective, their actions 
are not different. They both stole property from another person. They would both face the same criminal charge and the same punishment.
But I can see how people might see things differently from a “moral” perspective. Some people might view the wolf’s conduct as being worse because he stole from the innocent farmer. Or someone else might think the lion’s conduct worse because his crime had two victims: one innocent victim (the farmer) and one not-so-innocent victim (the wolf). 
These same principles would apply to the pencil and robbery examples. It’s the same crime in the eyes of the law, but people might form different opinions or beliefs about which conduct is worse.
I hope this helps. 
By the way, here is something interesting to think about. In Texas, both the wolf and the lion would face more severe punishment simply because they stole a sheep. The State of Texas adds extra punishment whenever a person steals “livestock” (cows, horses, goats, sheep). Most other states in the United States don’t recognize a special category for theft of livestock. I bet if you thought about it a little, you could figure out why a state like Texas might do that.
Have a great day!!

*Names have been changed to protect student identities

所有跟帖: 

这个是小学的?怎么感觉是初中的? -soundofsilence- 给 soundofsilence 发送悄悄话 soundofsilence 的博客首页 (27 bytes) () 09/02/2014 postreply 13:56:03

period 6其实就是LA分组学习给编的号,然后按号排时间表。 -MMXIAO- 给 MMXIAO 发送悄悄话 MMXIAO 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/02/2014 postreply 13:58:30

搞得这么正式的,以为是初中social studies 学法律和公平呢。 -soundofsilence- 给 soundofsilence 发送悄悄话 soundofsilence 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/02/2014 postreply 13:59:41

如果是一年级孩子提的问题,那就是神童了 -keessa- 给 keessa 发送悄悄话 (72 bytes) () 09/02/2014 postreply 14:15:37

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”