请允许我率先检讨...

来源: diaozhi 2014-03-12 19:10:09 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (1450 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ diaozhi ] 在 2014-04-01 05:17:13 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
首先, 请允许我率先检讨 - 眼见得3/12 马上就要过去, 一天一糗尚且难产, 这国人欠谦虚的罪名实在担当不起啊.

Now, I really need to beg your pardon - for switching to English.

When I was a TA at a university in the South back in the 90's, a professor ran out of chalk in the middle of a lecture and asked me to go to the front office to fetch a piece of chalk for him.  Partly due to the professor's heavy Southern drawl, but more due to my being an unexperienced TA yet to learn my ways around in the classroom, I returned empty-handed. 

"I am sorry, professor, but I could not find one," I said timidly.

Needless to say, the professor was dumbfounded.  Being the typical Southern gen that he was, he struggled for a few long seconds to find the right words to say about the utter unbelievableness of the whole situation.

"Are you serious? You cannot find a piece of chalk in the entire building?"  The professor finally managed to get out this much.

Now I was equally dumbfounded - if not more so. 

"You asked me to get a piece of chalk? Not to find a fella by the name of Joe?"  But too embarrassed to breathe a word, I asked these questions only in my mind, and then repeated the same questions in many a nightmarish dream for the next two years.

所有跟帖: 

哈哈,fetch 一般只用于dog -500miles- 给 500miles 发送悄悄话 500miles 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/13/2014 postreply 08:50:47

Yours are a rather quick mind and very discerning eyes, I must s -diaozhi- 给 diaozhi 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/13/2014 postreply 15:27:16

Really? -qianzou- 给 qianzou 发送悄悄话 (240 bytes) () 03/14/2014 postreply 17:27:11

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”