小二哥李白: I copy and paste the abstract of ths "quantum well" proje

来源: 二泉映月09 2012-05-17 12:30:13 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1891 bytes)

A Novel Universal Photon and Radioactive Beta Particle Detector: Multifunctionality Enabled by
Wavefunction Engineering, Photomodulated Electron Tunneling, and Quantum Confinement of Charge
Carrier Motion in Nanowires
Saumil Bandyopadhyay
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School for Government and International Studies, Richmond, VA
PH063
This research reports the invention of a novel universal photo- and radioactive beta particle
detector employing parallel arrays of 10- or 50-nm diameter semiconductor nanowires that are
electrochemically self assembled. Measurements show that it can detect infrared light with high
detectivity and high signal-to-noise ratio at room temperature. This is achieved through a new
principle of quantum-mechanical wavefunction engineering to selectively promote
electron-photon coupling over electron-phonon coupling. By integrating the detector with a 5 nm
insulating layer through which photogenerated charge carriers have to quantum-mechanically
tunnel, the signal-to-noise ratio is increased further while the standby power dissipation is
reduced dramatically to make the detector superbly energy-efficient. The detector can also detect
radioactive beta particles with high efficiency, despite the use of relatively impure materials,
because of quantum-mechanical suppression of charge carrier scattering in nanowires. This
universal detector is robust, rugged, reliable, inexpensive, amenable to mass production, and works
without cryo-cooling -- all of which open up vast areas of application in night vision, buried mine
detection, car collision avoidance systems, missile defense, astronomy, molecular spectroscopy,
forensic science, monitoring of global warming, radiation therapy for cancer treatment, and
homeland security, among others.

所有跟帖: 

谢谢,慢慢读,应该很有趣!! -小二哥李白- 给 小二哥李白 发送悄悄话 小二哥李白 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/17/2012 postreply 12:31:40

厉害的发明!!很厉害的发明!!非常厉害的发明!! -小二哥李白- 给 小二哥李白 发送悄悄话 小二哥李白 的博客首页 (31 bytes) () 05/17/2012 postreply 12:37:05

This one wins 2012's optics 1 place award, likely wins other awa -二泉映月09- 给 二泉映月09 发送悄悄话 二泉映月09 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/17/2012 postreply 12:40:55

It is a very impressive invention even for adults. -小二哥李白- 给 小二哥李白 发送悄悄话 小二哥李白 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/17/2012 postreply 12:45:56

Exactly. I will keep the picture I give him the award -二泉映月09- 给 二泉映月09 发送悄悄话 二泉映月09 的博客首页 (35 bytes) () 05/17/2012 postreply 12:52:21

哈哈!!Maybe the next 波尔。。。 -小二哥李白- 给 小二哥李白 发送悄悄话 小二哥李白 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/17/2012 postreply 13:10:17

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”