An Ivy prof's view of today's kids entering college

来源: svb 2010-12-28 09:39:01 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1202 bytes)

"I think the kids are entering college damaged by their secondary education that, in the broadest terms, leaves them feeling entitled, unable to handle failure owing to resistance of the system to impose it, and a general malaise. The digital world is distracting ALL of use (as evidenced by the fact that I am typing this), but these kids are in their formative years in which immersion is critical to developing skills. (I used to fall asleep in the library, dream about the subject, and have trouble waking up because I thought I was studying.) I used to be able to transcribe my more important sets of notes FROM MEMORY before exams. It's not evidence of understanding, but it sure as hell indicated that I had been grinding on the problem. You do not find a willingness to do that, in part because of the Google mentality--If I can find it, why do I need to learn it? The top half of the elite institutions is still exceptional; the bottom half has fallen considerably.

So how does it get fixed: It will take care of itself as this malaise becomes protracted. In my 2010 Year End Review I intend to touch upon education as a topic. Still pondering the outline."

所有跟帖: 

这个我比较同意,电子化的代价是孩子很有可能不去思考, -Francine- 给 Francine 发送悄悄话 Francine 的博客首页 (169 bytes) () 12/28/2010 postreply 09:49:52

我很同意这个. 所以再累也不让电视或电脑来当BABYSITTER -只会做饭- 给 只会做饭 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/28/2010 postreply 10:03:14

其实,美国小孩迷电视也是世界第一了吧 -mooseamoose- 给 mooseamoose 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/28/2010 postreply 15:05:39

对孩子来说,住在一个高尚区里的小房子,已经产生了不可磨灭的心灵创伤, -BAC888- 给 BAC888 发送悄悄话 (328 bytes) () 12/28/2010 postreply 10:04:03

如果孩子总把富豪和自己父母比,那总会产生不可磨灭的心灵创伤 -mooseamoose- 给 mooseamoose 发送悄悄话 (47 bytes) () 12/28/2010 postreply 15:09:33

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”