回复:Why Rejected? - Please Help Me.

来源: Yangtze430030 2009-12-16 10:01:38 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (2539 bytes)
IMHO:

First, her academic is pretty strong and will be accepted to some top colleges. I think Yale should have at least give her a defer so she has a second chance during RD. But we are Asian, high education and high income in highly developed area, what can we expect? Also, college admission is a pretty random process and nobody can be sure if they will be admitted. Somebody (Asian) claims that he/she has 90% possibility to be accepted to Harvard, which in my opinion is an ignorant claim unless he/she is a minority. Anybody get accepted to HYPSM is lucky no matter how good he/she is.

Second, you just can not challenge their decision. Their excuse is that we are choosing a well balanced class rather than a well balanced individual. This claim has its merit but it's more of an excuse to defend their decision.

Third, you did not report all SAT I scores but a super score. SAT 2350 super score is good but not particularly impressive. If some scores not included in the super score are relative low, then it’s a minus. Too many SAT II and a large percentage of them are under 750. I would rather seeing only 3 SAT II scores, at least one science and one language plus math, and they are at least 760.

Fourth, 1000+ volunteer hours are just a little too much in my opinion, especially if it is not focused.

Fifth, EC. She missed a very important area – sports. This is a sports-crazy country. If you have a strong academic background but no sports at all then people don’t think you are well rounded.

Sixth, to be able to be accepted to top colleges, you have to be both well rounded and some shining points. You just can not miss either for our Asians.

Seventh, different colleges have different preference and may choose different students rather than strong or weak especially when the differences of candidates are so small. I don’t believe in the FIT test much though I think it has its merit. But some colleges do look at the candidates and find out if they fit in the class or not. Nothing wrong about it but just their preference.

All in all, the academics are strong but not super strong and she lacks the shining points. Also, it’s a relative comparison, especially in the same high school. You said that other students do not have as strong statistics, but they may have other shining points. Needless to say, they may come from different ethnicities, social economical background or overcame major obstacles in their lives.

所有跟帖: 

Well said! -treadwater- 给 treadwater 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/16/2009 postreply 13:50:12

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”