correction for some facts of Lang Lang

来源: princessonthepea 2008-12-31 22:37:58 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (3877 bytes)
I happen just read Lang Lang's book " Journey of 1000 miles", correcting some facts as follow:
1. The comments from Lang Lang's teacher, Mr. Graffman, about the way of interpreting Schumann would causing "heartattack" is a joke to Mr. Graffman's good friend, Mr. Richard Doran, who's a professor of English at the University of Pennsylvania, when he played schumann for Mr. Graffman's opinions. Mr. Graffman's wife recommended this gentleman as Lang Lang's mentor for learning American Culture and English literature. This story is recorded in Lang Lang's book.
2. Lang Lang admitted the "Number One" concept was from the competitive environment of China. (Anyone from China should not forget the craze about the ranking system. In Central Conservatory, students were ranked every two months, that's where Lang Lang came from. On Lang Lang's case, he needed scholarship badly, he can't afford to be not number one. ) And he was hurt by that concept himself as well, when he was trying to return to China with Philadelphia Orchestra to play in the Great Hall and was rejected by China because he didn't participate into any contest after his studying with Mr. Graffman and obeying Mr. Graffman's advise of not competing. Of course, because of Philadelphia Orchestra's 100% support, (No Lang Lang, no concert!) Lang Lang won this battle. Lang Lang did say finally he became to understand why his teacher didn't want him to compete.
3. Lang Lang mentioned millions of times how much he loved his 1st piano teacher, Ms. Zhu from Sheyang Conservatory. And he never said he hated other teacher except Professor Angry. But he seems already forgave her.
4. Lang Lang's father did push him like crazy, but he never meant to kill his beloved son. Because Lang Lang did actually stop practicing piano for 4 long months, after he got fired by Professor Angry, and his father was very wise to not push him during that critical period. (If Lang Lang's father did want to kill him, then he's alredy dead for missing practice for 120 days.)
I was touched by Lang Lang's deep understanding of his father's generation and forgiveness and love. I was amazed by Lang Lang's father's rock solid belif on his son's gift and complete sacrifice. Of course, I never mean simple copy from Lang Lang's "rag to rich" story". Many elements and good fortune made him succesful. To Lang Lang, is a succesful story, maybe to another family, is going to be a tragedy.
My understanding of Lang Lang and Li Yundi, is that they are different styles. I'm some one not very picky. I like classic music, I like Celin Dion, Elton John, too. I like them both because of their differences, and because of that, it makes our world more colorful and wonderful. Lang Lang has more passion, and ambition, and energy, playful, theatrical. Eventhough he made the classical music into popular music, that wouldn't hurt anyone. Because he made more people can understand classic music somewhat. Why can't? Why classic music has to be tied up with red ribbons, and put onto the shrine for worship only? Li Yundi is graceful, elegant, and romantic, longing, so on, so on, indeed. But why Li lost his contract has to be blamed onto Lang Lang's existence? As my observation, Lang Lang is more open, active, more ambitious, more matching with american appetite. And his father was wise to send him to U.S. instead of Europe, because he knew U.S. would be more open to take in new musician then Europe even back then. Li was very shy, not good at speeching and acting, (from interviews and MTV) maybe this personality would hurt his marketing? After all, we are not living at aristocratic time anymore. (When I was wathching Li Yundi, I'm kindof worrying if he would soak into Chopin's personality too much, like an artist can't pull off from his role.)

所有跟帖: 

It's said that Lang's father insisted that Deutsche Grammophon d -vivi123- 给 vivi123 发送悄悄话 vivi123 的博客首页 (30 bytes) () 12/31/2008 postreply 22:45:46

Deutsche Grammophon won't sign up Li -vivi123- 给 vivi123 发送悄悄话 vivi123 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/31/2008 postreply 22:46:45

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”