My Alaska Experience

来源: wunderlust 2004-11-15 20:25:19 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (1599 bytes)
wish I could share my Alaska pics with you. But those were slides taken before the digital day and it takes more to scan slides. I did get some beautiful slide shots of whales swimming with a background of icebergs and on video a huge floating iceberg crashing into the bay. In your last set of the glaciers, I recognize the house shaped iceberg on Columbia Glacier. I have a similar slide - it's amazing after these years (I went in 98) it's still there. I drove from Anchorage to Valdez and then took the ferry across Prince William Sound to Whittier, the most beautiful ferry ride. Back in 98, we had to take the car onto a train once we got off the Whittier ferry. And the train then took us with our car back to the Seward Highway, as there was no road out of Whittier. A road has since been built to connect Whittier to the Seward Highway. It was quite a unique and interesting experience sitting in a car, which sits on a train. I bet you probably won't find many places in the world that have a configuration like that, only in Alaska. What's even more amazing was as we sat in the car on the train waiting to depart Whittier, our train was delayed by a bear that went hiding under the train. It was quite some work to get the bear out of the rail tracks!

Those grey cloudy sky looks very familiar. If I have any complaint about Alaska, it's the cloudy sky and bugs in summer. Whittier, a beautiful tiny town with one building (that's right, one building for the whole town) is supposed to rain 99% of the time. I was lucky to be there on a very nice and sunny day.

所有跟帖: 

Thanks for sharing. And ... -NHHiker- 给 NHHiker 发送悄悄话 (554 bytes) () 11/16/2004 postreply 19:01:42

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”