about oil-gelling in Camry

来源: leonlz99 2004-02-18 08:06:08 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2309 bytes)
In the past few months, I have repeatly posted such concern about oil-gelling problems in toyota camry. I want to give a bit more overview of such problem. It might help brothers to get free repair you deserve.

in 97-02 camry, solora, sienna, highlander, avalon and lexus which used the same engine, there is a problem called oil sludge or oil gelling. It happens to both 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engine.

Basically, the engine uses too much engine oil. it is a toyota's design flaw. some of the people had to get a new engine at the first 30-50K. If people change oil every 3k, they usually should not have problem although I have seen complaints in Camry forum that people experience problem even with 3k oil change schedule. toyota recommends 5k for severe and 7.5k for normal. so a lot of people do 6-7k schedule then they got problem.

There are two explanations for such design flaw I have heard so far.
One is that Toyota wanted to achieve better fuel economy so they make the enginethe engine was running at a higher temp which burns oil and fries oil at a much faster rate. so, at 4-5k, most of lubrication ability will be lost. so, engine was woren faster if you do not change oil every 3K.
The other explanation is that insufficient crankcase ventilation has caused sludge buildup.

Early sign for such prolem is excessive oil consumption eventually blue or black smoke at starting.

A lot of customers complained. initially, toyota ignored them. and a lot of angry customers started the notion to file class suit. so it pushed toyota to come out a plan of 8 year unlimited mileage to cover this problem if the owner can show proof of one oil change every year. Toyota redesigned the engine from 03 model. so from 03, customer should not experience such problem. And toyota changed their service schedule from 7.5k to 5K, how entertaining!

one of the brother just got this problem fixed with his 98 avalon at toyota's cost.

By the way, i have a 01 camry, it uses 1/2 quart oil every 1k miles. toyota insisted it needs to consume 1/2 quart every 500miles, radiculous!! so if we follow 6 k or 7.5K schedule, it should have not oil left by the time for next oil change. my first and only jap car. quite dissappointed.:(

Good luck

所有跟帖: 

Thanks for the info. Do you.. -忘了上次多少钱了!- 给 忘了上次多少钱了! 发送悄悄话 (347 bytes) () 02/18/2004 postreply 10:36:40

回复:Thanks for the info. Do you.. -leonlz99- 给 leonlz99 发送悄悄话 (299 bytes) () 02/18/2004 postreply 10:55:45

But, people still love used -US_CAR- 给 US_CAR 发送悄悄话 (89 bytes) () 02/18/2004 postreply 12:19:40

haha:) -leonlz99- 给 leonlz99 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 02/18/2004 postreply 12:33:34

low ring tension -Caddy- 给 Caddy 发送悄悄话 (235 bytes) () 02/18/2004 postreply 15:06:15

回复:about oil-gelling in Camry -追风大老虎- 给 追风大老虎 发送悄悄话 (180 bytes) () 02/19/2004 postreply 22:58:50

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”