这是 Berkeley 法学院教授在 WSJ 的原文

来源: STEMkid 2023-10-18 06:28:05 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3789 bytes)

Don't Hire My Anti-Semitic Law Students
Would your clients want an attorney who condones hatred and monstrous crimes?

I teach corporate law at the University of California, Berkeley, and I’m an adviser to the Jewish law students association. My students are largely engaged and well-prepared, and I regularly recommend them to legal employers.

But if you don’t want to hire people who advocate hate and practice discrimination, don’t hire some of my students. Anti-Semitic conduct is nothing new on university campuses, including here at Berkeley.

Last year, Berkeley’s Law Students for Justice in Palestine asked other student groups to adopt a bylaw that banned supporters of Israel from speaking at events. It excluded any speaker who “expressed and continued to hold views or host/sponsor/promote events in support of Zionism, the apartheid state of Israel, and the occupation of Palestine.” Nine student groups adopted the bylaw. Signers included the Middle Eastern and North African Law Students Association, the Queer Caucus and the Women of Berkeley Law.

The bylaw caused an uproar. It was rightly criticized for creating “Jew-free” zones. Our dean—a diehard liberal—admirably condemned it but said free-speech principles tied his hands. The campus groups had the legal right to pick or exclude speakers based on their views. The bylaw remains, and 11 other groups subsequently adopted it.

You don’t need an advanced degree to see why this bylaw is wrong. For millennia, Jews have prayed, “next year in Jerusalem,” capturing how central the idea of a homeland is to Jewish identity. By excluding Jews from their homeland—after Jews have already endured thousands of years of persecution—these organizations are engaging in anti-Semitism and dehumanizing Jews. They didn’t include Jewish law students in the conversation when circulating the bylaw. They also singled out Jews for wanting what we all should have—a homeland and haven from persecution.

The student conduct at Berkeley is part of the broader attitude against Jews on university campuses that made last week’s massacre possible. It is shameful and has been tolerated for too long.

It’s time for the adults to take over, and that includes law firms looking for graduates to hire. The law firm Winston & Strawn revoked an employment offer for a student at New York University law school who wrote an open letter that pointedly refused to condemn Hamas’s attack. The letter denounced Israel instead and asserted that its “regime of state-sanctioned violence created the conditions that made resistance necessary.” The NYU law school dean had issued a tepid response to the massacres, but after the student’s anti-Israel screed caused an uproar, he made a second, more forceful statement condemning Hamas’s attack.

Legal employers in the recruiting process should do what Winston & Strawn did: treat these law students like the adults they are. If a student endorses hate, dehumanization or anti-Semitism, don’t hire him. When students face consequences for their actions, they straighten up.

If you are a legal employer, when you interview students from Berkeley, Harvard, NYU or any other law school this year, ask them what organizations they belong to. Ask if they support discriminatory bylaws or other acts and resolutions blaming Jews and Israelis for the Hamas massacre. If a student endorses hatred, it isn’t only your right but your duty not to hire him. Do you want your clients represented by someone who condones these monstrous crimes?

所有跟帖: 

BYLAW这个细节很重要,说明让那些人掌权以后就是他们为所欲为了。把他们的垃圾文化带到美国来了而且要骑在你头上。 -borisg- 给 borisg 发送悄悄话 borisg 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/18/2023 postreply 06:46:56

靠,他字里行间的意思是今后只能雇犹太人?过了吧? -小猪的黄香蕉- 给 小猪的黄香蕉 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/18/2023 postreply 06:48:27

你要自己读这些人搞的BYLAW,不光自己的团体不许相反意见的人参加,还要求其他学生团体也一样搞,这不是制度上的统一思想么 -borisg- 给 borisg 发送悄悄话 borisg 的博客首页 (292 bytes) () 10/18/2023 postreply 06:54:52

No angel here, all BS to me -小猪的黄香蕉- 给 小猪的黄香蕉 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/18/2023 postreply 06:59:51

我怎么没读出这个意思?那你的意思是除了犹太学生,剩下的学生都是反犹的? -BeagleDog- 给 BeagleDog 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/18/2023 postreply 09:46:29

反犹太人的主要是木木相关的人和团体。其他人没那么执着。 -正人伪君子- 给 正人伪君子 发送悄悄话 正人伪君子 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/18/2023 postreply 17:51:00

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”