People talking about their college regrets

来源: elfie 2023-03-27 18:16:35 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2177 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ elfie ] 在 2023-03-27 18:17:19 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Mostly it's the debt that accrue high interests, and being forced into parent's choices.

Most importantly, collge isn't that decisive to their future life, if they don't have so much debt to pay.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/03/27/opinion/college-choice-regrets.html

From today's NYT. Fresh points, poignant, a little sad.

I love the one school I went to, even though it didn't lead me to accumulate great wealth: Georgia Tech. It was fun and it was full of spirit. It feels dilligent, intelligent and youthful. It was the second spring to me. I was lifted from the not so bright outlook about life. People were happy there, in general.

And I hate the college my mother chose for me when I was a teen living in China, NJU. I consider it the worst thing I've done in my life, by totally submitting to another person's opinion about collge choice. I thought my mother was a sage back then. And she sent me to a very dull place. It's like the overlook hotel in the Shining, snowblocked, barracked, with no outlet.

There are so many what-ifs in life. What if I didn't go to NJU, and the horrendous city that had the worst weather all year around but the short Spring? What if I stayed at Beijing and probably went to PKU? I could, if I didn't let my mom choose for me. I did really well that year on the freaking college entrance tests. I hate that test too. It killed most of my youth to make me buried in piles of paper and lousy books for test prep. And I never would live my youthful days again, possibly with more fun, more friends and hobbies.

But most importantly, college is just one fork in life. It's not everything. Far from it. So there's regret, and there's non-regret too. People could survive or even live well if they make right decisions at right places,  with colleges or without colleges.

所有跟帖: 

哈哈,看见了吧,学校要让娃自己来选,专业更是如此,娃在学校高兴还罢,否则你都不知道娃心里面多恨你。。。 -Midwestrural- 给 Midwestrural 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/27/2023 postreply 18:49:42

本来就是这样,我不会替他们选择,但是我会给出我的建议。听不听他们说了算。 -四娃兔妈- 给 四娃兔妈 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/27/2023 postreply 18:56:38

我妈也这么说哈,毕竟是老学霸。觉悟甩我半条街。。 -圆西瓜- 给 圆西瓜 发送悄悄话 圆西瓜 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/27/2023 postreply 18:57:43

做父母的负责掏钱,大方向上指点一下,决定要孩子自己做,做出决定就不要后悔,只少不能怪罪父母了 -nanoptics- 给 nanoptics 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/27/2023 postreply 19:58:00

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”