转自reddit。

来源: ArmorUSA 2017-01-18 15:02:34 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (17354 bytes)

另一位ABC (disman2345)写了:

https://www.reddit.com/r/aznidentity/comments/5orkfi/my_views_about_what_is_going_on_with_abcs_their/

For me, you peeled off another side that I never expect to see. I thought it would be communicate with the parents, maybe would understand, but now I see it's layers and layers of complexity that keeps everything status quo.

The parents would always see the grass is greener on the other side. I agree with you that they try to save face and brag about being better than other parents which is stupid and selfish. Even though they are in the wrong, it doesn't affect them because they aren't stepping out of their comfort zone, the kids are. It is hypocritical for them to dismiss people struggle when they don't see it. They do it all to brag, but they lose their dignity in the end when the culture they tried so hard to engrained into the kids doesn't work. They literally don't see the sexual imperialism and discrimination because they are holed up in ethnic enclaves where they don't really deal with this. They communicate on Wechat and read Chinese newspaper, so they never see from other people's perspective.

They also bring in the slave mentality where they don't care if they are eunuchs, they are happy to have food on the table. China is different from 30 years ago, so all that experiences about China being poor and strict is like speaking about a different world (these are parents who came here for a while), the new parents from China kinda knows more about USA not being the American Dream because of the Internet and China being richer.

ABC telling their struggles to the parents would be met with "you are complaining" or "our struggles was harsher, we were starving and poor or something". But that was in the past, focus on the present. The parents still think China is still in the past. They don't look in the present because their attitude and thinking is still stuck in the past. If they thought about the present, they would realize that China has a middle class that is much richer than the ABCs in America. These parents probably looked down on Chinese people in China being poorer, now getting surpassed by the same people looking down upon them. I suspect that Hong Kong Chinese feel the same way, their own superior mindset gets shattered when China has many cities like Hong Kong now, making Hong Kong not special.

The only good thing about America is the economic opportunities. That's why people come to America, people don't come here to assimilate. I didn't see white people assimilating into Native American tribes. The African slaves brought to America sing and dance so much to keep the customs flowing from ancestors to kids despite it being oral instead of written down and it transformed into music like jazz or raggae.

A lot of parents think that you just get good grades and that's it. Like there's no struggle. Getting an A is easy, by getting a B, you probably didn't study at all or something. Asian parents get stunned when they realized that "you need extracurricular activities" or they learned about "affirmative action".

Studying all the time causes people to lose social skills. If Asians didn't have affirmative action causing them to study so much, their social skills would be higher. Cause and effect. In China, they have the gaokao which is much harder than SAT, but the people don't seem as bitter as the ABC in this country. That's because in China, that's like a rite of passage, everyone bond from experiencing the same pain. But here, you become jealous when you have to work harder and you see people who make fun of you for not having any social skills, and they have social skills because they hardly ever study and you two end up in the same position. It's quite unfair. I know China has the gaokao where the richer afford better private schools, but that is based on class, this is based on ethnicity. Plus Chinese parents in China want the kid to just get into school, it's good if the kid get into Beijing University or Tsinghua, but they don't literally force the kid to go for do or die, get into Harvard or die.

Plus a lot of ABC parents are stupid in a way where they literally force the kid to get A's and take AP classes, become the best, and when it's time to choose school, they changed their mind on Ivy League school because "it's too far away" or they have an OH SHIT moment, where they realized they don't have the financial means to pay for it, so the kid even up going to a state school. And it's stupid because the kid didn't need to waste away their high school to get into a state school.

DID YOU SEE the Peter Liang case. It's basically a huge divide between the ABC and the parents. The parents thought that Peter Liang was being charged for an accident while the ABC kids thought they could be "fair" and make a precedent to incriminate future cops for killing black people.

Guess why the ABC kids were fighting for BLM over their own, because the Asian parents were successful in teaching them to ASSIMILATE. This is what happens when the kid gets bullied in middle school by classmates and the parents take the side of the teachers. This makes the kid think that being "Asian" is bad, and by supporting BLM, they can take a stab at white society and at the same time, seeing the "Asian" is a lost cause and redeemable.

Plus a lot of these parents are straight up absurd. Schrodinger ABC, that's what we are. They want us to be Americanized and have opportunity, yet become so disappointed when we can't speak our native tongue fluently. They use us as a bargaining chip yet get irate when we don't respect them (because in America, kids don't respect parents). They can't have the best of both worlds without sacrificed.

Plus another thing that you didn't bring up is dating/marrying. They would allowed the daughter to date a white guy over an Asian guy or they just give up when the daughter says she is dating a white guy over an Asian guy. Yet the Asian guy is on a leash, because we are the "heir" of the household. So the parents expect us to marry an Asian girl, but there aren't enough because they police the sons and let the daughters go free.

This would mean that the daughter may end up single when older because she would get dumped by a white guy who would want to have "white kids" at worse, but that's Russian roulette, why take a chance? And when it come to the son, he would have a harder time dating.

It's due to racist white society, Asian parents who would want the son to marry an Asian (of the same ethnicity), and even if the son does, the parents try to be strict and pretty much scare the girl away because nobody wants to marry in-laws parents who pretty much torture a girl for marrying their son. Plus I wonder what would they think when they realized they literally shot their culture and kid in the foot by robbing them of their pride and relationship.

The Fobs or International are more confident because they have a fallback plan, they also know they have dating in the bag because they have a large pond and it is auto-select, so it would work out.

ABC don't have that basic (yeah, it's not a luxury, missing something vital to life is crazy). ABC don't have a fallback plan, some can't speak the language perfectly, some don't know the custom. Basically a banana. Plus dating and marrying isn't auto-select. So the "in-group" preference doesn't work, leaving the ABC even more demoralized. It's like trying hard to breath for air.

Plus this would mean ABC males would have to compete against each other for the same girl. I seen groups of ABC males orbit around one girl. And then the girl says she's dating someone who is not even in the group of ABC males. ABC competition are against each other in school, work, and even dating. This would mean it's ABC against each other, the parents, white society, the world.

The abuse by white society isn't for everyone, and a number of people crack when the abuse shouldn't be there in the first place. Asian parents pushing the kid to succeed without failure is basically teaching the kid to fear reprisal and this causes the kid to not talk to the parent or to even lie to make things sound good. This action brought down freaking airplanes because the subordinates were too scared to tell the pilot something was wrong in scared of getting yelled at; leading to people getting killed.

I always wondered how the parents will react if the son is basically screwed out of the sexual marketplace and the parents is partly to blame. I wonder how would they feel when their son who get into Havard, keep moving up the ladder and become a doctor, ends up being single and having to get set up to marry someone who has been sleeping around in her 20s. I also wondered how parents feel when their daughter who slept around during her 20s is being set up to marry a rich guy, would they feel guilty they are scamming the guy and the guy family or is it human nature to pass on genes no matter what. I also wonder how the parents will feel when the daughter will have kids, and the grandkids wants to avoid the Asian grandparents. Passing on the gene, but losing dignity and culture is basically like not producing at all. I also wonder about the below average Asian guy who isn't handsome or didn't get into a top school or even an average school, what are their chances at marriage? Does face even matter anymore when the genetic line is literally dying, I mean the parents provide so much for the kid, but cut the balls off, so all that sacrifice means nothing if the kid doesn't reproduce.

I think I wrote a lot, but I also understand that there is another obstacle in the way now. My opinion is to forget about the parents. Aim at generation 1.5, bond the ABC to FOBs and Internationals. Parents are staunched in their ways, so better to aim at kids. Plus break down the ideal image of America, people these days who still dream America street paved with gold need a reality check.

所有跟帖: 

作为有大孩子的家长,我理解你。不过,我想你应该已经能接受事实,撇开心里的纠结了吧?完全公平的社会是不存在的,做好自己的工作,尽力 -薛成- 给 薛成 发送悄悄话 薛成 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:07:12

同意。大家都得去争取。 -ArmorUSA- 给 ArmorUSA 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:10:16

中国讲的是“特权阶层”,大多数人是没有的,比美国还糟糕。 -ctgolfer- 给 ctgolfer 发送悄悄话 ctgolfer 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:15:08

OK, but we aren't in china. -2ndgen- 给 2ndgen 发送悄悄话 (115 bytes) () 02/07/2017 postreply 01:35:41

再优秀的孩子,思考过程都会有,你女儿也是一样的 -Mom2016- 给 Mom2016 发送悄悄话 Mom2016 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:11:21

有过那个阶段,所以我理解他。当被国务院拒之门外,看着同宿舍的孩子都忙忙碌碌地去实习去,她是非常失落的。所以那个暑假她 -薛成- 给 薛成 发送悄悄话 薛成 的博客首页 (335 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:19:39

您女儿很厉害,Harvard Kennedy Sch of Gov't - 这种藏龙卧虎之地想不染上进取心都难。周围都是人才。 -ArmorUSA- 给 ArmorUSA 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:32:32

到了这种环境,不经意得就会有向上的追求 -ArmorUSA- 给 ArmorUSA 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:34:12

你所说的,我家孩子也有这个过程,所以我理解你。有些挫折是自己不能掌控的,所以有失落的感觉。 -薛成- 给 薛成 发送悄悄话 薛成 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:45:01

不容易。家长必定很心疼。 -陈默- 给 陈默 发送悄悄话 陈默 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:38:48

人一生哪能全都顺风顺水?碰到挫折抱怨几声很正常,不是还有恨天恨地大开杀戒的呢 -YuccaPalm- 给 YuccaPalm 发送悄悄话 (83 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 16:13:12

赞同。ABC是不可改变的事实,面对、接受、不和别人攀比,做好自己的部分,努力争取成功! -sshr- 给 sshr 发送悄悄话 sshr 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:22:36

现在ABC忙着爬藤,其实对政治感兴趣还真比父母还共产党 -BBL123- 给 BBL123 发送悄悄话 (52 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:13:45

倒是和我刚刚写的是一件事,性帝国主义 sexual imperialism -BayFamily- 给 BayFamily 发送悄悄话 BayFamily 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:15:01

说真的,你的中文水平很高,和中国人没有区别(比普通中国人更高),中国思维方式,价值观念你也精通,不会妨碍你去中国发展 -春闺是gay- 给 春闺是gay 发送悄悄话 春闺是gay 的博客首页 (268 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:15:48

我觉得你最大的贡献是引出了一些二代孩子吐槽心里话,让家长看看the other side of the coin。 -陈默- 给 陈默 发送悄悄话 陈默 的博客首页 (776 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:17:08

是是,俺改了, 接受批评。 -缘去缘来- 给 缘去缘来 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:17:56

能引出一些讨论,我觉得还是有意义的。是不是? -陈默- 给 陈默 发送悄悄话 陈默 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:24:16

说得很有道理,应该钻研了凡四训。。。 -ArmorUSA- 给 ArmorUSA 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:27:47

谢谢看重我的小建议~~我也改了。 -陈默- 给 陈默 发送悄悄话 陈默 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:32:55

是我修行不到, 谢谢提醒 -缘去缘来- 给 缘去缘来 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:47:05

别这么客气。我难得来,这么客气我以后不敢来了~ -陈默- 给 陈默 发送悄悄话 陈默 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:54:01

Grass is greener...说这些人正合适。 -tibuko- 给 tibuko 发送悄悄话 tibuko 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:20:02

犀利 -Narnar- 给 Narnar 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:25:56

有些成长过程,家长是帮不了什么忙的,压根就不该期待 -Narnar- 给 Narnar 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:21:56

帮不了忙,是因为你压根就不像帮忙 -ArmorUSA- 给 ArmorUSA 发送悄悄话 (306 bytes) () 03/21/2017 postreply 16:20:42

对有脑子的男子,在东土至少在女人和upward mobility还有机会,在西土上不会不沮丧,不沮丧那是还没开窍。 -尚文- 给 尚文 发送悄悄话 (257 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:39:11

ArmorUSA我是一个glass always half full的人 :-). 所以抓紧时间说一下.你看这里的华人家长们是不 -DLS101- 给 DLS101 发送悄悄话 (1377 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 15:57:19

可惜刚看到一些冷嘲热讽的贴子.希望ArmorUSA你不必介意.你不需要别人来approve自己. -DLS101- 给 DLS101 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 16:03:38

+1 -Wind_mill2- 给 Wind_mill2 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 16:24:54

作为有成年孩子的家长,理解你的挣扎。 -soccermom- 给 soccermom 发送悄悄话 soccermom 的博客首页 (971 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 16:10:05

中国发展太快了,失落的不仅仅是香港人。在美的生存,成长问题也不比雾霾小。 -尚文- 给 尚文 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 16:15:43

养孩子最难,所以父母责任重大。 -soccermom- 给 soccermom 发送悄悄话 soccermom 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 16:35:58

不过这满脑子pass gene 的是不是比中国人还传统?多少 -CirrusCloud- 给 CirrusCloud 发送悄悄话 CirrusCloud 的博客首页 (205 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 16:25:41

和父母沟通不了,问题在父母身上。 -soccermom- 给 soccermom 发送悄悄话 soccermom 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 16:34:32

其实ABC的现状我常听上大学的女儿谈起,和他说的和这个孩子说的真是 -rancho2008- 给 rancho2008 发送悄悄话 (862 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 16:40:46

+100 -红新- 给 红新 发送悄悄话 红新 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/20/2017 postreply 14:18:06

好,可以单独开贴。 -红新- 给 红新 发送悄悄话 红新 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/20/2017 postreply 14:25:40

你们的这些discussion对厘清你们的思维很有好处。And, forget about the parents if the -qq669- 给 qq669 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2017 postreply 19:48:05

思维混乱 -又当爹来又当妈- 给 又当爹来又当妈 发送悄悄话 又当爹来又当妈 的博客首页 (95 bytes) () 01/20/2017 postreply 15:22:24

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”