今天的NYTIMES 有篇不错的关于大学申请的文章,可惜这里大多数人做不到。

来源: MarkL 2015-03-15 02:34:16 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (21773 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ MarkL ] 在 2015-03-15 11:57:54 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/opinion/sunday/frank-bruni-how-to-survive-the-college-admissions-madness.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

How to Survive the College Admissions Madness

HERE we go again. At Harvard, Emory, Bucknell and other schools around the country, there have been record numbers of applicants yearning for an elite degree. They’ll get word in the next few weeks. Most will be turned down.

All should hear and heed the stories of Peter Hart and Jenna Leahy.

Peter didn’t try for the Ivy League. That wasn’t the kind of student he’d been at New Trier High School, in an affluent Chicago suburb. Most of its graduating seniors go on to higher education, and most know, from where they stand among their peers, what sort of college they can hope to attend. A friend of Peter’s was ranked near the summit of their class; she set her sights on Yale — and ended up there. Peter was ranked in the top third, and aimed for the University of Michigan or maybe the special undergraduate business school at the University of Illinois.

Both rejected him.

He went to Indiana University instead. Right away he noticed a difference. At New Trier, a public school posh enough to pass for private, he’d always had a sense of himself as someone somewhat ordinary, at least in terms of his studies. At Indiana, though, the students in his freshman classes weren’t as showily gifted as the New Trier kids had been, and his self-image went through a transformation.

“I really felt like I was a competent person,” he told me last year, shortly after he’d turned 28. And he thrived. He got into an honors program for undergraduate business majors. He became vice president of a business fraternity on campus. He cobbled together the capital to start a tiny real estate enterprise that fixed up and rented small houses to fellow students.

And he finagled a way, off campus, to interview with several of the top-drawer consulting firms that trawled for recruits at the Ivies but often bypassed schools like Indiana. Upon graduation, he took a plum job in the Chicago office of the Boston Consulting Group, where he recognized one of the other new hires: the friend from New Trier who’d gone to Yale. Traveling a more gilded path, she’d arrived at the same destination.

He later decided to get a master’s degree in business administration, and that’s where he is now, in graduate school — at Harvard.

For the general admission period, she applied to more than half a dozen schools. Georgetown, Emory, the University of Virginia and Pomona College all turned her down, leaving her to choose among the University of South Carolina, Pitzer College and Scripps College, a sister school of Claremont McKenna’s in Southern California.

“I felt so worthless,” she recalled.

She chose Scripps. And once she got there and saw how contentedly she fit in, she had a life-changing realization: Not only was a crushing chapter of her life in the past, it hadn’t crushed her. Rejection was fleeting — and survivable.

As a result, she said, “I applied for things fearlessly.”

She won a stipend to live in Tijuana, Mexico, for a summer and work with indigent children there. She prevailed in a contest to attend a special conference at the Carter Center in Georgia and to meet Jimmy Carter.

And she applied for a coveted spot with Teach for America, which she got. Later she landed a grant to develop a new charter school for low-income families in Phoenix, where she now lives. It opened last August, with Jenna and a colleague at the helm.

“I never would have had the strength, drive or fearlessness to take such a risk if I hadn’t been rejected so intensely before,” she told me. “There’s a beauty to that kind of rejection, because it allows you to find the strength within.”

I don’t think Peter’s example is extraordinary: People bloom at various stages of life, and different individuals flourish in different climates. Nor is Jenna’s arc so unusual. For every person whose contentment comes from faithfully executing a predetermined script, there are at least 10 if not 100 who had to rearrange the pages and play a part they hadn’t expected to, in a theater they hadn’t envisioned. Besides, life is defined by setbacks, and success is determined by the ability to rebound from them. And there’s no single juncture, no one crossroads, on which everything hinges.

So why do so many Americans — anxious parents, addled children — treat the period in late March and early April, when elite colleges deliver disappointing news to anywhere from 70 to 95 percent of their applicants, as if it’s precisely that?

I’m describing the psychology of a minority of American families; a majority are focused on making sure that their kids simply attend a decent college — any decent college — and on finding a way to help them pay for it. Tuition has skyrocketed, forcing many students to think not in terms of dream schools but in terms of those that won’t leave them saddled with debt.

When I asked Alice Kleeman, the college adviser at Menlo-Atherton High School in the Bay Area of California, about the most significant changes in the admissions landscape over the last 20 years, she mentioned the fixation on getting into the most selective school possible only after noting that “more students are unable to attend their college of first choice because of money.”

But for too many parents and their children, acceptance by an elite institution isn’t just another challenge, just another goal. A yes or no from Amherst or the University of Virginia or the University of Chicago is seen as the conclusive measure of a young person’s worth, an uncontestable harbinger of the accomplishments or disappointments to come. Winner or loser: This is when the judgment is made. This is the great, brutal culling.

所有跟帖: 

顶好文!赞Matt的父母。 -夏日怡心- 给 夏日怡心 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2015 postreply 03:13:00

美式鸡头好多凤尾故事 -78qwert- 给 78qwert 发送悄悄话 (36 bytes) () 03/15/2015 postreply 04:19:38

另外给想去硅谷的理工娃们指条路 -78qwert- 给 78qwert 发送悄悄话 (172 bytes) () 03/15/2015 postreply 04:25:18

好文,多谢分享。读者评论更有意思。转给孩子了。 -yppk- 给 yppk 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2015 postreply 05:38:22

有个读者很不象话。作者写了这么多,TA上来就说了两句 -yppk- 给 yppk 发送悄悄话 (91 bytes) () 03/15/2015 postreply 05:55:33

后面接着一个人跟, 如果你女儿读的是哈佛, 她会更开心. -Freewilly- 给 Freewilly 发送悄悄话 (25 bytes) () 03/16/2015 postreply 07:43:31

俺家老大星期五就转给我了, 还跟我说别上文学城了 -JYYXHEN- 给 JYYXHEN 发送悄悄话 JYYXHEN 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2015 postreply 08:27:53

lol:))) -影迷3- 给 影迷3 发送悄悄话 影迷3 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2015 postreply 09:02:54

Thanks for sharing. Good one. -DCH- 给 DCH 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2015 postreply 07:02:21

好文。希望所有高中毕业生都开开心心的,健健康康的,去哪所大学都enjoy。人生很长的。 -黄玫瑰888- 给 黄玫瑰888 发送悄悄话 黄玫瑰888 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/15/2015 postreply 10:28:07

主要是看一个人把进名校当成是目的还是手段 -walkabout- 给 walkabout 发送悄悄话 (716 bytes) () 03/15/2015 postreply 12:08:45

好文! 一定分享给孩子们。 -青春尾巴- 给 青春尾巴 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/16/2015 postreply 11:25:31

收藏了。非常感谢。 -bandband- 给 bandband 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/17/2015 postreply 00:28:01

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS -thricemom- 给 thricemom 发送悄悄话 thricemom 的博客首页 (111 bytes) () 03/19/2015 postreply 11:08:58

谢谢好文 -doudouwang- 给 doudouwang 发送悄悄话 doudouwang 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/09/2015 postreply 13:24:38

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!