亲爱的西门观雪网友[喊您亲爱的,瞧,俺的态度对您有多好、多友善。:)],您请进:

来源: 西西妈 2011-12-09 11:43:38 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (16748 bytes)

您是不是说,将来孩子越混越窄的悲惨结局,就是只能去吃碗学术饭?:)

俺不敢对您说不,反正俺家的孩子也不怎么地,俺心虚,不敢和您抬杠。俺就想在这儿,特虚心地请教您一个问题,您给帮着看看下面的这些拿西门子大奖的部分孩子的stats,请问,他们将来的下场,会不会像您说的那样,特惨不忍睹?谢谢指教!:)

INDIVIDUALS

Angela Zhang
$100,000

Monta Vista High School, Cupertino, California

Design of Image-guided, Photo-thermal Controlled Drug Releasing Multifunctional Nanosystem for the Treatment of Cancer Stem Cells - Biochemistry

MENTOR:  Dr. Zhen Cheng, Stanford University

“I was surprised by the survival rate of patients who had undergone current cancer therapy.”

Cancer stem cells (CSCs) are responsible for initiating and driving tumor growth yet are often resistant to current cancer therapies.  In her research, Angela Zhang aimed to design a CSC-targeted, gold and iron oxide-based nanoparticle with a potential to eradicate these cells through a controlled delivery of the drug salinomycin to the site of the tumor.  The multifunctional nanoparticle combines therapy and imaging into a single platform, with the gold and iron-oxide components allowing for both MRI and Photoacoustic imaging.  This nanosystem could potentially help overcome cancer resistance, minimize undesirable side effects, and allow for real-time monitoring of treatment efficacy.

Angela, a senior, is interested in nanomedicine and molecular imaging because they allow her “to transform my interests in physics, chemistry, and biology into solutions for current health problems.”  She won the Intel International Science & Engineering Fair (ISEF) 2011 Grand Award and the ISEF 2010 Grand Award (both for medicine and health science), and a trip to attend the Taiwan International Science Fair awarded by the National Taiwan Science Education Center.  Angela planned and executed a fundraiser that raised over $5,000 a year for the Monta Vista Interact International Night and has participated in the Jade Ribbon Youth Council to raise awareness about Hepatitis B.  She plays golf and the piano and would like to major in chemical or biomedical engineering or physics.  She is a 2010 Siemens Competition Regional Finalist who put in 1,000 hours on her current project.  Angela hopes to become a research professor.

Brian Kim
$50,000

Stuyvesant High School, New York, New York

Packing and Covering  with Centrally  Symmetric  Disks - Mathematics

MENTOR:  Professor Dan P. Ismailescu, Hofstra University

“Mathematics is ubiquitous: car-builders use the heat flow equation to calculate how engine parts will respond to heat, while bridge-builders calculate the curve that will ideally spread the downward force of a heavy truck.”

For a millennia, people have been interested in how we can efficiently pack more objects into an area. Brian Kim examined packing and covering geometric shapes, a topic that he says “could be understood and appreciated with a basic geometry background, but required power tools, particularly vectors, with which to make new ground.”  He was attracted to the idea of arranging shapes in space because this problem has been studied extensively by mathematicians.  “The topic is simple yet at the same time extremely complex.”

Brian first recognized his passion for math after joining his school's math team.  “There are no ‘textbook problems’ or solutions in math team, as ingenuity and cleverness are constant necessities.”  In his spare time, the high school senior enjoys running, golf, handball and playing the guitar, piano and trombone.  He would like to major in applied mathematics or computer science and dreams of becoming a professor of mathematics at MIT. 

Sitan Chen
$40,000

Northview High School, Duluth, Georgia

On the Rank Number of Grid Graphs - Mathematics

MENTOR:  Jesse Geneson, MIT Mathematics Department

“Mathematics research appeals to me because the results are pure and incontestable gems of human reasoning.”

Sitan (Stan) Chen’s mathematics project has potential applications in optimizing circuit design, finding errors in large data structures more efficiently, and manufacturing complex products in industrial systems more quickly. Stan’s research could potentially result in a new method of studying graphs, an important area of mathematics.

Stan is inspired by mathematics because of “the power of a single new idea to change the way we look at the world around us.”  A returning National Finalist from the 2010 Siemens Competition, Stan is interested in analyzing more than just math problems: his favorite class is AP Literature, where he examines the works of Ellison and Dostoyevsky.  An accomplished musician, he has been invited to Carnegie Hall six times to perform on the piano and violin.  Now in his senior year, Stan is on the fencing team and organizes benefit concerts to raise funds for disaster relief.  He hopes to study music or mathematics in college, with dreams of one day becoming a university professor.

Joshua Kubiak
$30,000

Louisiana School for Math, Science and the Arts, Natchitoches, Louisiana

Asymmetric Conjugate Addition of Ortho-Quinone Methides as a Pathway to Communesin Analogs - Chemistry

MENTOR:  Dr. Scott E. Schaus, Boston University

“Chemistry has seemingly limitless applications in a wide variety of fields.  By understanding the principles of chemistry, one can exploit them to influence his or her world.”

Joshua Kubiak’s organic chemistry research can be used to make a molecular scaffold which can then be built upon to create chemical compounds with potential medicinal applications.  In his project, he aimed to manipulate certain reaction schemes in order to obtain the desired chemical structure, one that may use less expensive materials than earlier research suggests.  Joshua enjoys working in organic synthesis because “it gives me the opportunity to create something new and unique that can potentially benefit others.”

Joshua, a senior, plans to major in chemical or biomedical engineering.  President of his school’s math club, he is also a National Merit semifinalist and winner of an Excellence in Chemistry Award.  Active in his school’s science club and a participant in the US Chemistry Olympiad, Joshua tutors in his spare time.  He hopes to pursue a career in drug design and development:  “I really enjoy the work that I did with my project and would like to go into a career path that involves researching the creation of new medicines.”  He is the first student from his school to be named a Regional Finalist in the Siemens Competition.

John Wen
$20,000

West HighSchool, Iowa City, Iowa

A novel lectin-like ubiquitin ligase degrades disease-causing A1AT-Z - Biology

MENTOR: Dr. Kevin Glenn

“There is a virtuous cycle about biology: the more I know about it, the more questions I have. And the more questions I have, the more knowledge I seek.”

The deficiency of the A1AT protein is the most common cause of childhood liver failure and the number one cause of liver transplants in children in the United States. Mutant A1AT-Z accumulates in the liver of A1AT-deficient patients, causing liver scarring, inflammation and even cancer.  In his project, John Wen explored the degradation of A1AT-Z in order to help prevent the aggregation so often toxic to liver cells.  His work led him to the discovery of two protein “taggers,” FBG1 and FBG2, which participate in the degradation of both non-aggregated and aggregated forms of A1AT-Z.  John hopes that his research will lead to the development of drugs that enhance the interaction of FBG1 and FBG2 with A1AT-Z to further degrade the toxic protein, resulting in therapies to treat the number one genetic cause of liver disease in children.

John is a senior and the first student from his school to be named a Regional Finalist in the Siemens Competition. A National AP Scholar with Distinction, he is also an accomplished pianist who took part in the prestigious Aspen Music Festival and has performed on NPR’s “From the Top.” After recent floods devastated his home state, he performed in benefit concerts to help Iowa's music program recover. John is involved in his school’s biology and physics clubs, and has helped his Junior Engineering Technical Society win first place in the state and third in the nation.  He plans to major in molecular biology/biochemistry and piano performance.  He dreams of conducting molecular biological research “with an infinite grant,” and playing “sold-out Carnegie Hall performances.”

John Solder
$10,000

Staples High School, Westport, Connecticut

Optogenetic Interrogation of Prefrontal Cortex Dopamine D1 Receptor-Containing Neurons as a Technique to Restore Timing: A Novel Approach to Treat Prefrontal Disorders - Biology

MENTOR:  Dr. Benjamin Land and Dr. Ralph DiLeone, Yale University

“I was excited by the idea that principles of light and genetic therapies could be used in combination to deliver a highly specific treatment to just the right spot in the brain where it was needed.”

John Solder began his research hoping to help the millions who suffer from injuries or disorders of the prefrontal regions of the brain, which include Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases.  He was inspired by one experience in particular:   “After presenting a previous research project in a public forum, a woman told me I had given her new hope for her child who had suffered a devastating brain injury for whom treatment options were limited.”  Currently, medications can target specific molecular mechanisms, but cannot be administered to a specific brain region. In contrast, deep brain stimulation can be administered to a specific brain region, but cannot target a specific molecular mechanism.   John used a cutting edge technology called optogenetics, in which light of specific wavelengths is administered to a specific part of the brain to turn on or off genetically-modified cells.  His project has the potential to provide new ways to treat brain disorders.

This high schools senior was a first place team winner at the FIRST Robotics Tech Challenge World Championship, a national finalist in the Christopher Columbus Foundation-U.S. Chamber of Commerce Life Sciences Awards, and a finalist in the Connecticut Junior Sciences and Humanities Symposium. A National Honors Society member and AP Scholar, he helped develop easy-to-use educational software for children as part of the One Laptop Per Child program.  He is also a classical and jazz bassist who has played with the Norwalk Youth Symphony and performed at Carnegie Hall and Tanglewood.  John hopes to dedicate his career to researching innovative solutions for global challenges such as disease, pollution and hunger.

TEAM 

Edgar Wang

“I was always interested in how things worked.  Science explained a lot of the happenings around me.”

Edgar, a senior, was a finalist in the Future Problem Solvers International Competition, a gold medalist in the World Piano Competition Young Artists’ Division and a National Chemistry Olympiad finalist with honors.  He would like to be a biochemist at a large research institution. 

Patrick Loftus

“My interest in this matter was a combination of love of the mystery and beauty in space, and the exciting drive to contribute something to this field.”

Patrick is a member of the Midwest Young Artists Symphony Orchestra and percussion ensemble.  He is also a member of his high school’s gymnastics team, where he is currently a senior.  Patrick plans to major in computer science, mathematics or physics and hopes to become a professor “with room to travel and research often.”

Blake Smith

“It was the constant thought of how a single, unpredictable disease could take the lives of so many that made me want to pursue this project.”

For Blake, the desire to pursue cancer research is personal.  In 2006, both of his grandparents were diagnosed with the disease.   A senior, he earned a First Award in Cellular and Molecular Biology at the 2011 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF).  He is vice president of his school’s World Interest Club, plays the viola in the symphonic orchestra and is a member of the varsity tennis team.   He plans to study biochemistry or biology in college and to eventually become an oncologist, hematologist or medical geneticist.  Blake is the first student from his school to compete as a Regional Finalist in the Siemens Competition.

Andrew Xu

“Math has always fascinated me, and I have dreamed about making my own contribution to this remarkable field ever since I was young.”

A senior, Andrew is a winner of the Dong Lieu Science Prize and founder and president of ScienceDays, a program that brings hands-on science experiments to elementary schools.  He works on creating worksheets for YouTube math videos created by Vi Hart, and enjoys basketball, swimming and playing the piano.  Andrew is exploring various majors and hopes to become a research mathematician.  He is the first student from his school to be named a Regional Finalist in the Siemens Competition.

Kevin Tian

“It is always exciting to be able to feed my creative problem-solving energies into a meaningful pursuit and to improve what is known in pushing the boundaries of mathematics.”

Kevin, a senior, was a Regional Finalist in last year’s Siemens Competition.  An accomplished musician, he is a viola player in his school orchestra and also plays the violin, piano, guitar, ukulele and harmonica.  Fluent in Mandarin and proficient in French, he is vice president of the IB Student Organization, which promotes community service, and enjoys playing basketball.  Kevin plans to major in economics or math and become a professor in mathematics or a related field.

Helen Jiang

“I love how the real world is incorporated into a statistics class.”

When Helen’s younger sister was five years old, she broke her arm and had to go to the hospital.  While staying there with her sister, Helen was inspired to find ways to help children born with diseases that forced them to stay in hospitals for long periods of time.  This junior is co-president of S.A.G.E Club (business club), where students create and promote their own businesses.  She plays volleyball, soccer and ultimate Fri*****ee and loves to sing and write lyrics.  Her dream job is to become a university professor.

http://www.siemens-foundation.org/en/competition/2011_winners.htm

所有跟帖: 

又不是算命的,哪里知道?但我看着癌症可能被17岁的孩子制服,倒是觉得有点儿玄,功劳太大了,应该发几个亿的奖 -乌不浪口- 给 乌不浪口 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 12:05:01

国家现在不是穷么?发不出几亿来。:))) -西西妈- 给 西西妈 发送悄悄话 西西妈 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 22:18:20

哇, 这篇很给力。。。等答案ing。 -rockingchair- 给 rockingchair 发送悄悄话 rockingchair 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 12:05:43

你告我答案也行,我是真的不懂。:))) -西西妈- 给 西西妈 发送悄悄话 西西妈 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 22:20:42

吃学术饭也没什么不好。不过中国娃挺多的。 -CIBC- 给 CIBC 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 12:10:26

几十年后科技就是中国老中和美国老中比:)) -Manymore- 给 Manymore 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 12:17:44

就怕到时候ABC比不过了, 都是拼藤给害的 :) -QiTian- 给 QiTian 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 12:19:08

美国教育比较强调动手能力,学校里是一个一个的project,所以在创新上ABC还是应该有优势。 -Manymore- 给 Manymore 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 12:29:07

吃学术饭医生饭,最好了。受人尊重的职业。我从来对花街不以为然。 -incywincy- 给 incywincy 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 12:20:41

行行出状元。你搞职业歧视,打倒!:))) -西西妈- 给 西西妈 发送悄悄话 西西妈 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 22:27:01

哈哈,好玩!我一如既往的站在西西妈一边,那个农村来的博士后,还有百班,你们站在那边啊? -将种菜进行到底- 给 将种菜进行到底 发送悄悄话 (48 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 12:24:37

回复:哈哈,好玩!@我最爱吃菜,你会种, -波雨中- 给 波雨中 发送悄悄话 波雨中 的博客首页 (30 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 16:52:22

见种菜的来了,俺就羞嗒嗒地想躲。 :P -西西妈- 给 西西妈 发送悄悄话 西西妈 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 22:24:46

回复:见种菜的来了,俺就羞嗒嗒地想躲。 :P@你一个找, -波雨中- 给 波雨中 发送悄悄话 波雨中 的博客首页 (16 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 22:36:50

她给我的家庭作业,我没时间做,只好老鼠见猫地躲。:))) -西西妈- 给 西西妈 发送悄悄话 西西妈 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 23:15:55

回复:她给我的家庭作业,我没时间做,只好老鼠见猫地躲。:)))I see ! -波雨中- 给 波雨中 发送悄悄话 波雨中 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 23:27:30

看不懂高深的学问,看明白一件事:所有小中男都弹钢琴还特高级那种 -cafeaulait- 给 cafeaulait 发送悄悄话 (284 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 12:54:57

哈哈哈哈,解读得好! -hobo-hobo- 给 hobo-hobo 发送悄悄话 hobo-hobo 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 13:03:43

你太有才了,还能看明白。你比俺强!:))) -西西妈- 给 西西妈 发送悄悄话 西西妈 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 22:29:05

回复:亲爱的西门观雪网友[喊您亲爱的@西门兄可能 -波雨中- 给 波雨中 发送悄悄话 波雨中 的博客首页 (36 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 18:17:05

哪里,你不知道,西门兄才水平老高呢!:) -西西妈- 给 西西妈 发送悄悄话 西西妈 的博客首页 (186 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 18:57:56

回复:哪里,你不知道,西门兄才水平老高呢!:)@哈...你 -波雨中- 给 波雨中 发送悄悄话 波雨中 的博客首页 (50 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 19:15:33

回复:哪里,你不知道,西门兄才水平老高呢!:)@哈...你 -波雨中- 给 波雨中 发送悄悄话 波雨中 的博客首页 (50 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 19:15:51

回复:哪里,你不知道,西门兄才水平老高呢!:)@哈...你 -波雨中- 给 波雨中 发送悄悄话 波雨中 的博客首页 (50 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 19:16:03

回复:哪里,你不知道,西门兄才水平老高呢!:)电脑好像不对了..回你 -波雨中- 给 波雨中 发送悄悄话 波雨中 的博客首页 (76 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 19:24:49

挖,藤妈讲话就是不一样啊,如此强的回音,powerful!:))) -西西妈- 给 西西妈 发送悄悄话 西西妈 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 22:16:18

回复:挖,藤妈讲话就是不一样啊,如此强的回音,powerful!:)))@早纠正 -波雨中- 给 波雨中 发送悄悄话 波雨中 的博客首页 (52 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 22:45:16

你说得对,是羊妈!我也是羊妈。:) -西西妈- 给 西西妈 发送悄悄话 西西妈 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 23:18:51

回复:你说得对,是羊妈!我也是羊妈。:@那是要这里 -波雨中- 给 波雨中 发送悄悄话 波雨中 的博客首页 (32 bytes) () 12/09/2011 postreply 23:30:25

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”