看一下这个。楼下SAT2400贴后面的一个跟帖。我就有一个问题

来源: greenoasis 2017-09-23 20:15:24 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (6945 bytes)

她睡觉吗?还是bullet points 之外那些成就水分比较多?

Let’s play a game.

Imagine you’re an admissions officer, and your job is to admit students. Your job is notnecessarily to admit the most outstanding students. Your job is to construct a freshman class whose members will be interesting, mature and enthusiastic in their contributions to the school.

Applicant A’s resume reads as follows:

• She has a 4.0 (unweighted) GPA.
  • She received a 2400 on the SAT on her first try, and 800s in all of her SAT Subject Tests.
  • She did 13 AP-level subjects, including some which were self-taught.
  • She’s done well in a range of academic competitions (e.g. maths competitions).
  • She plays the violin well and the piano competently.
  • She’s the concertmaster of the school orchestra and plays a non-trivial role in several school committees.
  • She played badminton for the school team.

Do you want to admit her?

Sure, she’s clearly capable and hard-working—in other words, she’s smart enough to keep up with the coursework, like 80% of the others—but that’s about all her resume tells you. There are loads of applicants, thousands, who are just like her. She might have done all this just to get admitted; in other words, she could potentially be success-driven and not all that interested in contributing to the school.

But wait: she’s also the co-founder of a startup, she came second at Startup Weekend in her area, and she gets paid to develop websites for another startup. Hm! She’s a writer, a digital artist and a graphic designer, and her violin playing is good enough that she could become a professional if she so chose (for those who don’t play music, professional-track violinists devote 3+ hours a day to practicing, even in high school—and so it probably indicates that she genuinely likes the violin). She’s into all sorts of weird subjects like classics, geography, art history and earth sciences. She volunteers with local efforts to help teach people programming. She represented her state in Future Problem Solving. She was the design leader for her region’s Mathematics Olympiad Student Association, which runs math competitions for schoolkids and tries to remove the stigma around math. She was the lead organizer of a student-run, government-funded game development hackathon for high schoolers, the first one in her area.

Now do you want to admit her?

Now she’s more individual. There are surely still candidates who are way more impressive, but you can see who she is. You can probably deduce, from the slightly unconventional nature of her resume, that she’s genuinely interested in all this and probably isn’t doing it just to get admitted.

Applicant A is me. Years ago I could just have submitted the first half of that resume and gotten admitted. These days I’m not sure I’ll be admitted even with both halves, but I realized pretty early on that the track I was on at the time—the track to being conventionallyoutstanding—wasn’t really enough.

How did I realize that? I played this game. I pretended to be an admissions officer.

NB: I’m not a US citizen—I’m an international applicant from New Zealand, and an IB student—so I made some Americanizations in that list.

所有跟帖: 

简直是超人类啊 -张小胖- 给 张小胖 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/23/2017 postreply 20:19:41

她自己说她那小提琴水平是需要一天练三小时的。除非 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (213 bytes) () 09/23/2017 postreply 20:24:58

难以想像啊 -张小胖- 给 张小胖 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/23/2017 postreply 20:26:35

没看明白。一团糊。 -money4ivy- 给 money4ivy 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/23/2017 postreply 20:36:42

没什么,我们家老大5年前就这水平,几乎一模一样,结果HYPMS都没录取 -flagsix- 给 flagsix 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/23/2017 postreply 21:09:36

我只想知道这女孩说的成绩里有多少是灌了水的? 因为时间就那么多。 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (56 bytes) () 09/23/2017 postreply 21:13:51

坛子里很多stats 与其相似,没有什么水份吧。 -高山峻岭流水人家- 给 高山峻岭流水人家 发送悄悄话 高山峻岭流水人家 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/23/2017 postreply 21:18:19

你帮着做一下算数吧。这些项目如果认真做,一天24小时够吗? 先不说上课,AP,SAT满分那些。 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (1560 bytes) () 09/23/2017 postreply 21:25:12

给我感觉她的东西太多太杂缺少focus。她的passion到底是什么?靠那些EC体现出来。所以要少而精。 -Rockeymountain- 给 Rockeymountain 发送悄悄话 Rockeymountain 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/23/2017 postreply 21:31:07

她不一定是同时做这些事。 -MMMMM06- 给 MMMMM06 发送悄悄话 MMMMM06 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/23/2017 postreply 22:08:56

你可以不信,但不代表那不是真的 -flagsix- 给 flagsix 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/23/2017 postreply 21:24:16

没说是假的。 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/23/2017 postreply 21:27:50

那个2400的帖子就可疑,他说录取的那所Ivy 不要supplement, 哪一所? -czhz- 给 czhz 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/24/2017 postreply 08:32:03

妖人 -大号蚂蚁- 给 大号蚂蚁 发送悄悄话 大号蚂蚁 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/24/2017 postreply 09:37:12

人家大学录取的人也不傻。只能现在包装公司的手法越来越狠了。 -eater111- 给 eater111 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2017 postreply 07:30:30

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”