《塞翁失马,焉知非福》的故事被美国作家写成了藏族的传说

来源: ca981 2018-03-13 19:50:00 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (48370 bytes)

查了一下,原文出自《淮南子·人间训》:

近塞上之人有善术者。马无故亡而入胡。人皆吊之,其父曰:“此何遽不为福乎?”居数月,其马将胡骏马而归。人皆贺之,其父曰:“此何遽不能为祸乎?”家富良马,其子好骑,堕而折其髀(读音bì,股,大腿)。人皆吊之,其父曰:“此何遽不为福乎?”居一年,胡人大入塞,丁壮者引弦而战,近塞之人,死者十九,此独以跛之故,父子相保。故福之为祸,祸之为福,化不可极,深不可测也。

小孩的阅读作业里面,发现了这篇:

https://www.commonlit.org/texts/yeshi-s-luck

YESHI'S LUCK

by Naomi C. Rose 

FONT SIZE A A A A

Naomi C. Rose is a children’s book author. Her children’s book Tibetan Tales for Little Buddhasincludes the short story “Yeshi’s Luck,” in which Yeshi’s father teaches him a lesson about the chant “Om Mani Padmé Hung.” The phrase is meant to remind the speaker of the teachings of the Buddhist religion.

As you read, take notes on how Yeshi’s father responds to the good and bad luck in their lives.
"June 07 sony 476" by gill_penney is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0

Nestled1 among the tallest mountains of the world is the land of Tibet.2 In the foothills of those mountains lies a village. And in that village lived Yeshi with his father and their horse.

One morning Yeshi dashed into the stone cottage.“Pa, Pa, our horse is gone!

Yeshi’s father pulled on his dusty boots, tightened his sash and stepped into the cool air. Squinting at the snowy peaks, he breathed deeply.

Yeshi scowled.3 “Come on, Pa! We must find our horse.

Yeshi and his father trampled through the tall grasses, peering behind boulders and over thick brush.

“Om Mani Padmé Hung,” chanted Yeshi’s father.

“How can you chant now?” asked Yeshi. “That won’t help us find our horse.

“Chanting helps me have a peaceful mind,” replied his father.

Yeshi kicked into the dirt. Q1 

Several villagers happened by. “What are you looking for?

“Our horse!” cried Yeshi.

“We’ll help.” The villagers searched all day with Yeshi and his father.

At nightfall, Yeshi wept. “What bad luck! We’ve lost our only horse.

“What terrible fortune,”4 chimed5 the villagers.

“Who can say what’s good fortune or bad?” asked Yeshi’s father. “Give thanks for everything.

Yeshi and the villagers exchanged puzzled6 looks.

After several days, some villagers arrived at Yeshi’s house. “Your horse is in the meadow. He brought a surprise. Come quick!

Yeshi raced out the door. His father and the villagers hurried behind. When Yeshi reached the meadow, he blinked hard. A new horse was grazing7 alongside Yeshi’s.

“This is good fortune!” said Yeshi. “Now we have two horses.

“Your horse running away was good luck after all,” chimed the villagers.

Yeshi’s father smiled. “I’m grateful. But who can say if this is good fortune or bad?

Yeshi and the villagers exchanged puzzled looks.

“Om Mani Padmé Hung,” chanted Yeshi’s father.Q2 

Yeshi and his father swiftly8 trained their new horse. One day as Yeshi galloped through the meadow, the new horse bucked him off and high into the air.

“Owww!” screamed Yeshi. He crumbled to the ground. “Help! My leg!

Some villagers rushed to Yeshi. A man lifted Yeshi into his arms and headed up the hill. The others followed.

Yeshi’s father met them at the door. “Pa,” moaned Yeshi, “our new horse was bad luck after all.

“Such terrible fortune!” chimed the villagers.

Yeshi’s father placed the boy onto the straw bed. “I’m sorry to see my son hurt. But who can say what is good fortune or bad?

Yeshi and the villagers exchanged puzzled looks.

Yeshi grimaced9 while his father wrapped his leg in clean rags. Finally bandaged, his leg throbbed in pain. Yeshi gazed at his father in the glow of the butter lamp. And he listened to his soft chanting. “Om Mani Padmé Hung, Om Mani Padmé Hung.Q3 

“I’ve heard Pa chant a lot,” thought Yeshi, “but it never sounded so beautiful!” Warmth filled his heart. Tears slipped down his cheeks. “That’s odd,” he thought, “my leg has stopped hurting. Maybe there is something to the chant. Could it be my pa is wise after all?

He listened to his father chant as the moon rose high in the sky.

Yeshi awoke to a villager knocking at the door. “Have you heard? Military officers are here. They’re taking our boys away to fight in a battle. But you don’t have to go because of your hurt leg.”

“My!” Yeshi said. “Falling off the horse was good luck after all.” He glanced at his father. “But, I, I — guess no one really knows what’s good fortune or bad.” Yeshi thought he saw his father smile. 38 More villagers came. “Such good fortune for Yeshi, but such bad fortune for our boys.

“I’m scared for my friends, too,” replied Yeshi. “But, who can say what’s good fortune or bad?Q4 

The villagers exchanged puzzled looks.

“Om Mani Padmé Hung,” chanted Yeshi with his father.

It took many weeks for Yeshi’s leg to mend. Soon after, a villager ran up to Yeshi. “Our boys are back. They’re safe. They even brought new friends to join the village!” Yeshi grinned.

At the homecoming celebration, Yeshi sang:

Life is like a potter’s clay
changing shape from day to day.
As stars sparkle in the sky
light and dark go quickly by.
What’s the future, no one knows.
Be at peace with how life goes.

The villagers exchanged smiles. “Om Mani Padmé Hung,” chanted Yeshi’s father. “Om Mani Padmé Hung,” chanted the villagers. “Om Mani Padmé Hung,” chanted Yeshi. “Om Mani Padmé Hung.Q5 

“Yeshi’s Luck” from Tibetan Tales for Little Buddhas by Naomi C. Rose. Copyright © 2004 by Naomi C. Rose. Used with Permission. All rights reserved.

Notes

1. Nestle (verb): to lie comfortably close or against something
  2. an area in Central Asia
  3. Scowl (verb): to frown in an angry way
  4. Fortune (noun): good or bad luck
  5. Chime (verb): to be in agreement
  6. unable to understand
  7. to eat grass in a field
  8. Swift (adjective): happening quickly
  9. Grimace (noun): a twisted expression of pain

所有跟帖: 

所谓历史,也就是这么搞出来的。。。能和这“作家”联系纠正一下吗? -soldanella- 给 soldanella 发送悄悄话 soldanella 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/13/2018 postreply 20:04:22

这里是这位作家的网站 -learn333- 给 learn333 发送悄悄话 (305 bytes) () 03/13/2018 postreply 20:07:20

达赖喇嘛作序。。。。。 -soldanella- 给 soldanella 发送悄悄话 soldanella 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/13/2018 postreply 20:08:43

塞是哪儿?胡是哪儿?不过好像离西藏还是远了点 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/13/2018 postreply 20:35:13

藏族不等于西藏,范围大得多。 -czhz- 给 czhz 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/13/2018 postreply 21:44:15

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!