Accept others is to accept ourselves. Social capital

来源: yude 2020-11-25 07:50:18 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1212 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ yude ] 在 2020-11-25 07:55:00 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

When my daughter was in high school, I would always ask her about her plans during lunchtime. She always ate at school cafeteria, chairred some club meetings, or do her homework. At the time, I thought that she was such a model daughter and student, mature and  responsible.

Years later, this topic of lunchtime came up again, and I realized that the primary reason that she couldn't leave school for lunch was because she didn't have lunch money nor transportation to go out.  Her club members were from affluent families, more often that they would rather host a meeting at local cafe rather that at school cafeteria. To my daughter's credit, she did not yield to the peer pressure, nor she had options. She didn't envy their flashing nor their binding,  but she realized the importance of capital, most importantly, social capital. I really appreciate her club sponsor on requesting all club meetings be held on campus.

When and if we knowingly exclude others because they are different, we should pause for a moment and ask ourselves.  

Time cures all.

所有跟帖: 

女儿内心很强大,现在做啥类工作? -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/25/2020 postreply 09:06:44

College senior. Not yet sure about career path -yude- 给 yude 发送悄悄话 yude 的博客首页 (259 bytes) () 11/25/2020 postreply 10:10:48

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”