"Big head" EA/ED

来源: yude 2020-11-23 08:30:35 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1715 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ yude ] 在 2020-11-23 08:45:26 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

I remember it clearly at the time and location that my son decided to apply ED to Columbia.  The deadline for EA/ED was fast approaching, and we were stuck in traffic at a railroad crossing on the way to school.  He was debating with himself where should he apply:  EA to MIT or ED to Columbia.  In his own words, he said he did not want to regret not getting into Columbia because his own "big head" told him to apply EA to MIT.  I told him that the decision was his and his alone.  In the end, he was deferred by MIT and admitted to Columbia. He withdrew his MIT application. 

Why he thinks he has a big head? He decided to take his SAT in the last minute, and we had to pay a fee for late registeration and drove one hour to the test center. The only practice test he took was the evening before the test date, even then, he was playing games on and off  (the book stayed at the same page).  A few weeks later, he texted me a picture of "1600".  

He thinks that SAT and ACT tests are flawed.  It does not do justice to people who receive poor scores, who are just as intelligent if not more than he is.  To make the things "worse", he also took ACT as mandated by his school, he got a 36 (the science portion is 34).  

It bothered him that others would assume that he spent lots of his free time studying for test.  In reality, he would rather play games with friends, or play guiter in the back yard.  

He is one humble and kind young man.  All others are extra. 

所有跟帖: 

他平时积累的能力在考试中显示了。不用为自己的用功而feel guilty -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (400 bytes) () 11/23/2020 postreply 09:10:52

Agreed. That was what I told him. -yude- 给 yude 发送悄悄话 yude 的博客首页 (446 bytes) () 11/23/2020 postreply 09:33:02

+1完全同意。这样的话还是中国的高考最公平。 -四娃兔妈- 给 四娃兔妈 发送悄悄话 (177 bytes) () 11/23/2020 postreply 09:41:27

很牛,就是不懂”big head"是什么意思 -tibuko- 给 tibuko 发送悄悄话 tibuko 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/23/2020 postreply 09:19:16

咱只懂 "head big ”(头大)是啥意思 lol -12度圆缺- 给 12度圆缺 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/23/2020 postreply 09:21:34

英文big head 意思是arrogant 和中文的头大不是一个意思 -Youth- 给 Youth 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/23/2020 postreply 09:41:36

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”