Madam Secretary or The Honorable Justice

来源: yude 2017-12-13 13:46:57 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2758 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ yude ] 在 2017-12-13 13:57:13 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Some parents are extremely good at praising other kids.   When my daughter was in elementary school and performed at a music recital.  The recital must have been a hit, though I do not have a recollection of it.  I do recall that on the way out, in the lobby, an excited mom approached us with a big smile and gave my daughter a big hug and said “I am watching you.  One day, you will be the Secretary of State.”  I was happy to hear about that and thought ‘wow, what an outlandish praise’. 

A few years later, we met again at the same lobby, her admiration changed from ‘Madam Secretary to ‘Honorable Justice’.  By then, my daughter was either in Middle School or Junior High, she felt embarrassed by it.

Joking or not, sincere or not, I hope that these praises from a stranger help her reach and realize her potential.

To reach for something, we must think that we can do it first.   Al Harrison in the movie Hidden Figures said  "In my head, we are already there", referring to his vision of seeing men in the Moon.  Why should our kids prove their loyalty, patriotism, or vision?  Why should our kids yield to other’s opinions of them?   Do not be so easily or eagerly agree with other people in their doubt or suspicion of our kids.  Do not let other people’s doubt, suspicion, or disbelief prevent our kids reach their potential.  If our kids are destined to become the Secretary of State or Supreme Court Justice, or the President.  Let them work towards it, work double hard.   

That is my nonsense, as someone may say.

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”