老公发飙了

来源: lepton 2017-03-31 21:25:43 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4737 bytes)

今天晚上学校举办spring carnival,可是贝贝的舞蹈学校要开家长会,我们只好兵分两路,老公带小朋友去学校,我去家长会。 家长会开完一看手机,老公已经来了好几个Text,情况紧急!

不久老公就回来了。他说他气得发抖! 他刷刷刷写下以下的一篇,叫我post到facebook。

原文在此:

Something happened today at our kids' school spring carnival that made me as mad as I can ever remember. I was literally shaking with anger for about an hour.

I was standing around waiting for the kids to finish an activity and overheard some boys in another line planning what kind of picture they were going to take at the photography station. Then I saw one of the boys pull on his eyelids and say to his friends: "let's do chinese eyes". My heart started racing at this point but I decided to let it go. But since I was still just waiting, I kept an eye on them wondering if they'd go through with it.

When I saw them get in front of the photographer and all pose that way, I was livid. I ran up the stage and shouted questions at the boys: "what grade are you in? What's your name? Do you think it's acceptable to make fun of another race? Where are your parents?"

One of the moms was there and came over at this point. I then asked her whether she thought it was acceptable. She apologized and I told her in no uncertain terms that she needed to teach her kid better. I must have shouted "it's not acceptable" about 10 times.

I'm not proud of losing my temper and definitely could have handled it with more grace. But I feel very strongly that I had to do something forceful. I think the emotions that came out had as much (maybe more) to do with what I think is an insidious acceptance in our country of making fun of and stereotyping Asians. Perhaps these boys really didn't know any better. Perhaps they knew it was wrong but were taught that it's OK. I'm reminded of the Oscars from two years ago where Asian children were used as props in a blatantly racist sketch.

At the risk of stereotyping ourselves, we Asians are generally not very vocal in pointing out racism. But if we see incidents such as this and don't do something to defend ourselves and to educate, then we are complicit in accepting it. 

I'm writing this to call on everyone to reject racism in all its forms. And I'm calling on all Asians to stand up for yourself and not dismiss or brush off incidents of this nature.

One of my kids at this school had experienced a similar incident and we felt like the school handled it very well. But we also heard of cases where kids didn't report anything because they felt like it didn't matter or thought it was normal. For the culture to change, our kids have to learn from us what is not acceptable. These are teaching moments that are valuable for the victim and the transgressor.

发出去没多久,已经有不少支持,但也有两个白人妈妈叫骂。

更多我的博客文章>>>

所有跟帖: 

支持! -yuanyihuacao- 给 yuanyihuacao 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/31/2017 postreply 21:27:42

我儿子和几个中国孩子朋友自己就这样玩,即使是白人孩子这样乱逗,我不认为需要特别激动 -LiveForToday- 给 LiveForToday 发送悄悄话 LiveForToday 的博客首页 (424 bytes) () 03/31/2017 postreply 21:31:41

我比较同意。 -H.I.- 给 H.I. 发送悄悄话 H.I. 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/31/2017 postreply 21:35:07

惭愧,我也不觉得这是个大事,顶多说一句silly, Chinese are not like this就完了 -Free9- 给 Free9 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/31/2017 postreply 22:08:55

非常好的呼吁!你先生写的也非常好。支持支持!!! -asd123asd- 给 asd123asd 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/31/2017 postreply 21:42:37

有点反应过激了 -julie116- 给 julie116 发送悄悄话 julie116 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/31/2017 postreply 21:43:32

曾经看过一篇文章,提到freedom rider运动,里面有个小故事我感触很大。 -H.I.- 给 H.I. 发送悄悄话 H.I. 的博客首页 (460 bytes) () 03/31/2017 postreply 21:48:47

支持你老公 -hudsonnyc- 给 hudsonnyc 发送悄悄话 hudsonnyc 的博客首页 (501 bytes) () 03/31/2017 postreply 22:54:48

你的例子里,学校老师没有激动的大喊,或者说10次“这不能接受“吧?发声当然可以,但楼主老公反应的方式过头了。 -davidhu1999- 给 davidhu1999 发送悄悄话 davidhu1999 的博客首页 (197 bytes) () 04/03/2017 postreply 06:21:50

为你老公点赞,我们中国人确实需要站出来! -玻璃屋- 给 玻璃屋 发送悄悄话 玻璃屋 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/31/2017 postreply 23:12:44

赞你老公 -小睿儿- 给 小睿儿 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/01/2017 postreply 04:49:34

坚决支持! -staccatissimo- 给 staccatissimo 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/01/2017 postreply 11:38:37

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”