Brainwash / Brainstorming III: At breakfast table

来源: yude 2016-11-11 09:03:44 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2708 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ yude ] 在 2016-11-11 10:00:47 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

(Note to self. I did not use spell his name on purpose, not sure why, it may cause some confusion.)

I did not vote for him, but I do profess that people should give him a chance to succeed, and I do profess that he has the best interest of all American people in his heart, and himself will reject many of his offesnsive rhetorics.  Those offesnsive rhetorics have accomplished their mission (got him elected)

My profess started at the breakfast table with my high school freshman.   He was half awake and did not seem to object.

The conversion started when I said that he is not the president yet, people should really give him a chance.  I had said that too many times.  What I said is conciliatory, non-offensive, that is what I thought.   My son said, but there is a reason for the protest and demonstration, maybe they are afraid.  I paused for a moment. And it suddenly came to me. I walked around the table, and touched his shoulder.  I said,  for some fear is real and imminent, and for some, fear is imagined.  Fear is an emotional thing, fear is illogical.

We agree or not, both sides have fears and both sides are afraid that the country is going to the wrong direction.  Now, the result is final, and the dust has settled.  The people of color, people of minority, people of immigrants, people of different beliefs and looks are scared of the results.  For some of them, the fear is real and imminent, and disabling.   These fears are different from the pain.  These fears can only be felt if you are one of them.   The winning side has fears too, and many of them felt being left out, neglected, ignored.    This is where I kind of got lost when I tried to compare the fears and pains, and tried to quantify the fear and pain.   I simply could not compare them, because I am one of the people of color, people of minority, people of immigrants, people of different beliefs and looks.  I do not say that lightly, I do not say that as an excuse, I say that because I do not want to become numb to the pain, and fears, and suffering of all people.

At the end, I asked  "so, do you think that you are progressive? I want you to be progressive, I want you to think for yourself, consider the opposing views, and have feeling and heart.  Did I just brainwashed you?  ”  I pounded my chest, to stress the  "heart” part.  He laughed, normally, he would have ignored me.   That was enough.

I remain hopeful.

所有跟帖: 

+1000000. I love your post. -AlexisMom- 给 AlexisMom 发送悄悄话 AlexisMom 的博客首页 (155 bytes) () 11/11/2016 postreply 09:30:54

Thanks. That happened this morning at the breakfast -yude- 给 yude 发送悄悄话 yude 的博客首页 (431 bytes) () 11/11/2016 postreply 09:50:24

This reminds of me of a song by Gun's n Rose's -AlexisMom- 给 AlexisMom 发送悄悄话 AlexisMom 的博客首页 (308 bytes) () 11/11/2016 postreply 09:57:54

The silver lining of this election -yude- 给 yude 发送悄悄话 yude 的博客首页 (318 bytes) () 11/11/2016 postreply 10:17:36

出于fear的选择从来不是好选择,但却是人性最容易做出的选择,哎。。。 --百科-- 给 -百科- 发送悄悄话 -百科- 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/11/2016 postreply 09:35:10

"All good is hard. All evil is easy. Dying, losing, cheating, me -yude- 给 yude 发送悄悄话 yude 的博客首页 (217 bytes) () 11/11/2016 postreply 09:55:59

我給娃极少的人生经验的一条就是 --百科-- 给 -百科- 发送悄悄话 -百科- 的博客首页 (216 bytes) () 11/11/2016 postreply 10:16:02

Exactly. I am the captain of my soul -yude- 给 yude 发送悄悄话 yude 的博客首页 (206 bytes) () 11/11/2016 postreply 10:23:28

我也发现老中推孩子的方法一样,好多也是恐吓,孩子害怕了,去做自己并不喜欢的事。 -rourou777- 给 rourou777 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/11/2016 postreply 10:29:32

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”