去逛了下SDN,看到至少两个小印要学医的,成绩变态的好

来源: 2022-11-05 12:06:58 [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读:

一个是小印留学生,国际学生,自述基本上从小在美上学,大学在Georgia, 双学位:计算机科学,生物学,GPA 4.0, MCAT 527,Junior

另一个,德州印裔美国人,GPA 4.0, MCAT 526

这些小孩可能都是perfectionist 吧

看到这位加州学生,申请了30+学校,已经有一个被接受了,说本州学校无视其申请

I have similar stats (3.90 cGPA and a 3.95 sGPA, 521 MCAT), ORM and decent ECs . I have 5 II (3 coming , 2 already done with 1 A and 1 WL). I am from CA and my state schools all ignore me so far. I am glad that I applied broadly to more than 30 schools because my interviews mostly came from private schools with low median GPA and MCAT except one (Vanderbilt). Have a right school list is so important.”

这位申请了18个学校,MCAT 520 (第二次考的),sGPA 3.96,cGPA 3.87, 还没有得到 II

I sent my primary application in the very first day I could, and was very good about sending secondaries in within a day or two of receiving them. So for the majority of schools I applied to, I was in the first batch of applications they received. I applied to 18 schools, and have only heard back from 3 of them: 2 holds and 1 rejection. I know that there's still "plenty of time" left in the cycle, but I sent my app in so early I would think that the majority of schools have seen my application already. So my question is where am I lacking? What is off-putting about my application? Why have I yet to receive an interview with my stats and ECs? Here is some info about me below:

Pros to my app:
-3.87 cGPA and a 3.96 sGPA
-Taken the MCAT twice: 508 in 2021 and 520 in 2022
-Selected as top student in my major
-Received an award for community service and leadership from my university
-800 hours of research
-1 publication as second author
-I was an RA at my school
-College football player who was my university's Scholar-Athlete of the Year
-I was a first-team all-conference player
-Multiple year academic all-conference player
-I founded my own non-profit organization at 11 years old which is a Toy Drive thing where I collect toys for kids in need during the holiday season
-I have over 1000 hours of general community service (majority of it coming from the toy drive)

Cons to my app:
I don't have a vast amount of clinical experience. I have 80 hours volunteering in shock trauma at Maryland, 250 hours working as a PCA at UMass Memorial Hospital, 30 hours of shadowing a doctor at Boston Children's. Since submitting my application, I got a job as a medical assistant at a pediatricians office (360+ hours now), and shadowed the neonatal transport team at Maryland (16 hours). I'm also a cis-white male so I know that doesn't help me.

I updated Maryland's app with the newer things, since Maryland is the only school I really care about. But I just think it's crazy that not a single school has liked me enough to interview me. Another thing that may have influence is that I talk about wanting to be a pediatric neurosurgeon a lot in my apps, since that's what I know I want to be. Does that make a difference? Also I had a person who's been on an admissions committee before edit my essays, so I thought they were good. What do you guys think? Am i missing something? Does the small amount of shadowing and not a lot of clinical experience really hurt me that bad? Do schools not take into account COVID and that I was a college football player and rarely had time for stuff like that anyway? What do I do? I'm legit going off the deep end over here.

I applied to these 13 schools first:
Maryland, Hopkins, George Washington, Georgetown, Howard, Drexel, Penn State, UNC, Wake Forest, MUSC, Medical College of Georgia (Augusta), Morehouse, TCU

And then I added 5 schools later on in August:
VCU, Duke, University of Florida, Eastern Virginia, Emory

I know Howard and Morehouse are HBCU's and I'm unlikely to get in, and I know a few others are heavy on state ties (but what schools aren't at this point), but like I said, if I got into Maryland I could care less about the other schools

申请医学院的确不易!