Harvard, The Useless Degree

来源: 2018-12-28 08:06:49 [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读:
2018-12-28 10:10 by Karl Denninger 
in Education , 36 references
[Comments enabled]  

So word now comes that David Hogg, who can't calculate or think his way out of a paper bag (as evidenced by his SAT scores) has been admitted to Harvard -- after being denied at several other colleges due to lack of academic ability.

This is an obvious "social justice" sort of thing, given his political stance.

Harvard used to mean something on a degree.  It doesn't any more.

Of course it's damned expensive, and I'm sure he'll figure out some way to scam that from someone too; maybe some more-wealthy people who get his tuition cost-shifted to them.

The problem with social justice admittance is the same as it is with racial discrimination (so-called affirmative action) admittance.  Once you let someone in who doesn't have the academic chops to do the work at the level the University allegedly represents you have only two options: Let them fail, in which case they flunk out and you're accused of discriminatory conduct or lower the course standards enough so they can pass.

The inevitable choice is the latter which is how you get so-called "computer scientists" out of supposedly good schools who can't program in assembler nor can they accurately model the computing requirements for a given task, taking into account all the various elements required (e.g. storage, memory, CPU, etc.)  It only gets worse at the graduate level when the so-called "thesis" process gets similarly corrupted (can't have all those discrimination students fail at the Masters or PhD level, you see) and thus you have the sort of nonsense that has been repeatedly demonstrated for alleged "graduate" work at that level too.

One need only read Michele Obama's thesis.  Whether you agree with her point of view isn't the salient point of doing so -- we can agree or disagree on the political and sociological observations she makes, and in fact such a debate is interesting on its face.

No, the salient point of reading it is that strictly on a grammatical basis she lacks the ability to produce prose at a level suitable for entrance to a University after four years of being there -- and despite this she was awarded a degree.

In other words Princeton's degrees do not provide evidence of the ability to write at a 12th Grade High School level.

So how in the Hell did she get into Harvard and stay there without flunking out if she couldn't write a Senior Undergraduate thesis sufficient to pass muster as a long-form essay in High School?

I would have failed High School Senior English with grammar, sentence and paragraph construction as poor as that thesis displays.  In fact I doubt I would have even bothered with taking the final exam since by that point the screaming "F" would have long since moved beyond the "recoverable" point irrespective of how well I did on said final.

Incidentally while I can't find Michele's (or Barack's) LSAT scores Harvard obviously didn't care about those or Michele's terrible ability to write.

Then again being able to actually write coherent paragraphs of prose isn't a requirement for a lawyer, is it?

Hogg's admission to Harvard on an obvious "social justice" basis can't corrupt Harvard; that already happened at least 30 years ago.