give Teton more time

来源: 2006-05-08 22:02:24 [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读:
Unless you want to hike many trails, or spend many hours waiting for the geysers (even they can be somewhat predicted, the range is usually within 4 to 6 hours), 7 days are a bit overkill.

4 days are good enough, including driving the big loop from Northeast gate to Beartooth Highway then down south via Chief Joseph Scenic Byway and back in via East Gate.

BTW, Chief Joseph Scenic Byway is THE most beautiful section of the area, and is OUTSIDE park.

Make sure to check the National Park website for road conditions and closures.

I dont know about you, personally I dont like those cabins at all. I would choose to stay outside park, West Yellowstone, and Mammoth Spring or Gardiner, just outside North gate.

One more thing, depends on the seasons, keep in mind about hail storm in early Fall. Buy full coverage for your rental car or make sure your credit card has adequate coverage.

We sustained hailstorm damage just outside North gate early Sept last year. Temperature dropped drastically during our last 3 days visit. Anyway, Mastercard paid $2282 for repair estimate, and we paid $312 for loss of usage + admin fee, to the rental car company. We counted ourselves lucky in that Mastercard Assist was very professional and once the ball got rolling, the claim was settled very quick. However, to get the ball rolling is another story and quite a big learning experience.