华盛顿DC游记

来源: zhang3feng 2008-11-27 16:04:56 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (7839 bytes)
We reserved a hotel in Rockville, Maryland and left home on a Sunday morning. It was a three hours drive.

I said, “ when I was at Junior high school, in the winter the guys in our class had to take turns to start up the furnace in the morning. When it was my turn I had to get up at 5 AM in the morning, rode my bicycle for an hour to get to school, and then I had to use the woods, coals and some oil to ignite the furnace. This was a very important work because it would keep the class warm all day, and many students used it to heat their lunch. I knew in another class there was a guy, who could not pass the exams but really wanted to get the diploma. His teacher promised him a diploma if he heat up the furnace for the class for the whole winter. He did that, and he got his diploma.”

She said, “When I was at junior high, we had a patriotic health campaign. Our teacher asked each of us to turn in three rat tails. I tried my best and I only got one. So I took a black shoelace and cut it into two and put them into a plastic bag together with that real one. It passed the inspection.”

We arrived at Rockville around noon. We checked into the hotel and took the Metro to the national mall. First we saw the Washington Monument. I wondered what Washington would think about America today if he were alive. A country in debt, with many debt junkies. Washington managed his wealth very well. When he died he was one of the richest men in America.

We walked across the national mall to see the United States Capitol. There was a statue on top of the dome. I remember seeing a statue on top of the Philadelphia city hall. That was William Penn statue. Who was this statue on top of the Capitol? I thought it was Washington. Later on I found out that I was wrong. It was the Statue of Freedom.

I said, “ In his show Jay Leno asked a girl, what is our current president’s name? George W. Bush, she said. Do you know what does the W stand for? He asked. She said, I know, I know. It is George Washington Bush.”

It started to rain when we were on our way to Lincoln Memorial. We went into an art museum. There was a Vincent van Gogh self-portrait. When we moved to another picture, I said, “Do you know van Gogh was so crazy that he cut off his own ear? ”
She stared at me with her big eyes, and said, “ Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”
She dragged me back to that self-portrait. In the portrait there was a plate on the table with something in it. It could be some food but now it looked suspiciously like an ear. She asked me to take a picture of her with that portrait.

We also stopped by a natural museum where we saw many huge bones of ancient animals. It just crossed my mind, what the earth would be like if there were no human. It would have been very lush, with all kinds of animals, trees, flowers and lakes. In a century humans are consuming up the oil and coals created by the Earth in millions of years, waging countless wars, and ruining the environment. This planet is so messed up by humans. I wish human beings could move onto the moon or the Mars, just to see if they can do a little better a second time around.

When we went to Lincoln Memorial and walked by the Reflection Pool, she said she felt very tired and wanted to go home. I said, “We left home in the morning and now it is 3 pm, you want to go home already?”
She said, “I can see the Lincoln Memorial from here, it is good enough.”
I said, “We have got this far, lets go in. Don’t you recognize this place? This is in Forrest Gump, where Jenny and Forrest had a reunion right in the middle of the pool.”

The pool was very shallow. We could see the bottom. Two big ducks and two ducklings were swimming in the pool. They must be a family.
Finally we walked up the stairs of the Lincoln Memorial.
She said, “Is there a chair to sit on? I am so tired.”
I said, “There is only one chair. Lincoln is sitting on it.”
She sat on the ground in the back of the Lincoln Memorial. It was drizzling and the city by the river was wet and lovely in the rain.

The last thing we saw was the white house. We looked at it from behind a fence, with a group of other people. A police in a raincoat was on guard.

When we went to bed at night, she asked me to hug her from behind. Her feet were very cold. She nestled in my embrace and caressed my warm legs with her cold feet. I said, “I want to tattoo four words on your bottom.” She turned around and looked at me with her large eyes. “Jing Zhong Bao Guo,” I said. She giggled a while, and said she does not like it.
“What do you like?” I asked.
“Fan Qing Fu Ming.” She said. I laughed and buried my nose in her long hair. They smell very good.

On the second day in the morning we went to the Great Falls of Potomac River. It was quite a sight. From the overlook, behind a stone fence, I could see the water running and roaring, ferocious and ruthless. There were some huge stones right in the middle of the river facing the wrath of falls.
She sat on the stone fence and asked me to take a picture for her. My heart sank and I yelled at her to get down to the ground. “If you fall into the river no one will ever find your bones.” I said.

Before we left Rockville we went to a church to see F. Scott Fitzgerald’s grave. This is a guy who represented the Jazz Age, who had great talent and imagination, but died at 44. His book the Great Gat*****y is regarded as one of the best novels written by an American. I often imagine him writing and drinking at night, making some quick money so that he could send his daughter to a private school, and keep his wife in a good mental asylum. We stood by and looked at the grave for the hu*****and and the wife. The grave was inscribed with the last sentence from the Great Gat*****y: so we beat one, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. In the afternoon sun, warm and tender, the graveyard was very quiet.

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>
•  午夜惊魂 I
•  午夜惊魂 II
•  见网友 1 of 4
•  见网友 2 of 4
•  见网友 3 of 4

所有跟帖: 

写得很好。但因为这是中文论坛,最好用中文写,能配图更好了 -dryadium- 给 dryadium 发送悄悄话 dryadium 的博客首页 (26 bytes) () 11/27/2008 postreply 16:39:08

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”