Xi'an

来源: xux 2006-11-14 10:41:36 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (6777 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ xux ] 在 2006-11-14 14:06:02 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
Both Dave and I have been wanting to see the Terra Cotta Army for a long time, so in December 2005 when we were in Beijing, we took a side trip to Xi'an, 1,200 km (750 mi) southwest of Beijing. The 12-hr train ride (8:00pm - 8:00am) was surprisingly comfortable, even for Dave :) Since it was off-season, we had the 4-berth soft sleeper to ourselves. We slept fairly good on the train.

With 3,100 years of history, Xi'an has a lot to offer for tourists:
- The City Wall: A well-preserved defensive wall which was re-constructed in the Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644).
- The Big Goose Pagoda and Small Goose Pagoda: Both are well over 1000 years old.
- The Bell Tower and Drum Tower.
- The Stele Forest: Known for its numerous historic inions and stone works.
- The Shaanxi History Museum.

But Xi'an is mostly famous for the Mausoleum of Qin Shi Huang (the first emperor of China) and his Terra Cotta Army, 35 km (22 mi) east of Xi'an. The mausoleum was constructed between 247 BC and 208 BC. To protect him in his after life, Emperor Qin buried an army of 8,000+ life-size terra cotta warriors and horses near his mausoleum. The underground army was discovered in 1974 by local farmers drilling wells for water. When unearthed, none of the figure was intact. It took years to piece some of the fragments together. A museum was built on site and opened to the public in 1979.

First time visit, not knowing if there is enough introduction in the museum, we hired a tour guide. It turned out to be a mistake. Not only could we read plenty introduction from the signs ourselves, but also the tour guide valued more about how much time we spend in the souvenir shop than helping us to enjoy the museum. So we paid her off early and went back to the main museum building ourselves.

Another lesson learned later: do not eat at the local restaurant next to the museum. The dining room looked descent when we visited but not the bathroom: there was no running water. The dishes were expensive and tasted bad. And worst of all, the whole time when we were eating, there were two girls standing next to our table, continuously showing us scrolls of Chinese paintings, hoping we would buy something. I repeatedly telling them we came here to eat, not to shop, you don't need to show us these. It didn't deter them at all. So we had to eat our meal under close watch by strangers. It is almost funny to think back, but at the time we felt quite uncomfortable.

Despite all these, we have very fond memories of our Xi'an trip. We loved the restaurant (Xie He Dou Jiang) near our hotel, where for 20 Yuan ($2.5) total, we had authentic Chinese/Xi'an breakfast everyday. We loved the lamb sate (1 Yuan/piece) on the Muslim food street. We loved the spicy noodle (2 Yuan/bowl) sold at a grocery store. We loved the tea house near Big Goose Pagoda, where for 40 Yuan, we had some great tasting tea while enjoyed watching people passing by on the street outside. The place is probably considered expensive from local standard, but for weary tourists, to be able to sit and unwind in a clean, peaceful, and friendly environment, it is priceless.

I am looking forward to visit Xi'an again.

1. Drum Tower.
Drum Tower.

2. Bell Tower.
Bell Tower.

3. Lamb sate.
Lamb sate.

4. Street vendor.
Street vendor.

5. The Stele Forest.
The Stele Forest.

6. Big Goose Pagoda.
Big Goose Pagoda. 

7. Inside the Museum of Tetta Cotta Army.
Inside the Museum of Terra Cotta Army.

8. Inside the Museum of Terra Cotta Army. Inside the Museum of Terra Cotta Army.

9. Inside the Museum of Tetta Cotta Army.
Inside the Museum of Terra Cotta Army.

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>
•  Our Favorite Tree
•  Alaska (6) - Denali
•  Alaska (5) - Dalton Highway II
•  Alaska (4) - Dalton Highway I
•  Alaska (3) - More McCarthy, Nabesna Road

所有跟帖: 

很有用的信息,摄影也不错。 -DeepCreek- 给 DeepCreek 发送悄悄话 DeepCreek 的博客首页 (101 bytes) () 11/14/2006 postreply 11:40:37

Sad but true. I used to complain Beijing is too dirty -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (126 bytes) () 11/14/2006 postreply 11:54:28

兵马俑允许拍照了?我以前是偷拍的,十年以前。很想再去一次 -greatkhan- 给 greatkhan 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/14/2006 postreply 16:50:57

Yes. I don't know when they started to allow it. -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (43 bytes) () 11/15/2006 postreply 08:38:43

一到西安我就生病了。空气是我去过城市最糟糕的,比墨西哥城和利马还 -阿姗- 给 阿姗 发送悄悄话 阿姗 的博客首页 (70 bytes) () 11/14/2006 postreply 22:19:03

The nearby smaller cities were even worse. -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (167 bytes) () 11/15/2006 postreply 08:45:48

你拍的照片很好看。西安和多年前比变化太大了。 -蕉下客- 给 蕉下客 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/14/2006 postreply 23:05:13

Thank you! Dave took all the pictures. I'll pass your words. -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/15/2006 postreply 08:48:02

西安的冬天天总是灰蒙蒙的,那是污染. -xiaoyudian- 给 xiaoyudian 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/15/2006 postreply 23:07:13

谢谢分享! -erdong- 给 erdong 发送悄悄话 (127 bytes) () 11/17/2006 postreply 08:35:31

Hi erdong, really admired your Lake Powell post, -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (389 bytes) () 11/17/2006 postreply 12:47:37

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”