Canyonlad 国家公园--Shafer Trail and Potash Trail

来源: moab 2006-10-18 19:22:23 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4696 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ moab ] 在 2006-10-19 12:20:49 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
There’s a hidden treasure in the Moab area that only some locals know about. It’s the Potash and the Shafer trail. March of 2005. How to get to those trails? If you are heading south on Highway 191, just after you pass the entrance to the Arches National Park, there’s a small road on the right that runs toward the Colorado River. That’s the Utah State Road 279. It’s about 4 miles to the north of Moab city. There’s a sign by the road informing you this is a scenic byway. It’s so inconspicuous you can easily miss it. The first part of the road is paved. The road goes up slope a little bit, then runs flat and parallel to the Colorado River. This part is called the Wall Street. Steep cliffs rise up above the river along side the road, presenting one with strong contrast and fantastic views. Somewhere along this segment, about 5 miles from the US 191 and SR 279 junction, there are Indian petroglyphs. I don’t know much about the Indian Petroglyph, though to me they always seem somewhat fascinating. It was well into the afternoon when I pulled onto SR 279. The paved road did not take long. Had plenty time to enjoy the river-cliff view, take pictures, and study the petroglyphs. Then I kept driving down the road for another 8 miles or so, and saw the Jughandle Arch on the right. It’s not as awesome as the delicate arch, but it’s not the arch on the beaten track either. Then another 2 miles down the road, it’s the Potash Plant. They make chemicals here. There’s a river ramp for boating. This is where the paved road ends. From here, there’s a dirt trail going up the hill. This is the potash trail. The potash trail is a 4X4 trail, though on good days you can get by with any vehicle that has a high ground clearance. The fun began as the dirt trail emerged and paved road disappeared. I was driving down the deserted land. There’s nobody else in sight. Just us. There were cattle grazing a couple miles into the dirt road. There’s a gate to keep them from running loose. I went past the gate, drove up the slope, and emerged at the Colorado River overlook. The moment I stepped outside of car, I was struck breathless. It’s hard to find a word to describe what I saw. At my back were the huge formations in the Dead Horse Point state park. In front of me, hundreds of feet down, was this peaceful river flowing silently. It’s hard to imagine it is this very same river that made this much erosion in this area. All of a sudden I felt so small, so vulnerable. The trail goes downgrade from here. A few miles down it’s the junction to Shafer trail and also a short side trail down the trail to the Musselman Arch, which I would recommend to everyone. You can actually walk on the arch, if you are not afraid of height. Make a right turn at the junction, and you are now on the Shafer trail. It’s exciting because this is where you are literally driving on the cliff edge. Driving up the cliff is easier than it seemed. But if it’s your first time exploring a canyon land, this is exciting enough. A turn would emerge just as you thought you had came to a dead end, running into the hill. A few feet aside are the cliffs. You can use all your imaginations, but I promise you that you won’t be disappointed if you take the trail. The Shafer trail ends at the Island in the Sky area in the Canyonland National Park. It’s only a 12 mile trail, but when I drove up to the pavement, it’s almost dark. If possible, I would recommend going down the trail. Of course this means serious 4x4. You need to have low gear otherwise your brakes will overheat and lose control. Definitely check out the inside of the trail. That whole area has hundreds of miles of trails. It takes days to finish. It’s endless fun. A GPS is nice to have. But if you stick to the trails you should be fine. Any questions let me know.

所有跟帖: 

第一张照片的景色跟Dead Horse Point 得有点像 -DeepCreek- 给 DeepCreek 发送悄悄话 DeepCreek 的博客首页 (16 bytes) () 10/18/2006 postreply 19:29:41

回复:第一张照片的景色跟Dead Horse Point 得有点像 -moab- 给 moab 发送悄悄话 moab 的博客首页 (38 bytes) () 10/18/2006 postreply 19:34:16

抱歉为了赶时间就用英文了. 将就着看罢. -moab- 给 moab 发送悄悄话 moab 的博客首页 (17 bytes) () 10/18/2006 postreply 19:31:22

你拍的风景真好看, -erdong- 给 erdong 发送悄悄话 (84 bytes) () 10/18/2006 postreply 21:11:27

谢谢。我其实拍了很多照片,一直没时间整理。 -moab- 给 moab 发送悄悄话 moab 的博客首页 (37 bytes) () 10/18/2006 postreply 21:18:34

果然是大牛。那些山路看着好危险啊。难怪说要4X4呢 -阿欢- 给 阿欢 发送悄悄话 阿欢 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/19/2006 postreply 03:09:08

过奖。其实那路开起来不难。 -moab- 给 moab 发送悄悄话 moab 的博客首页 (214 bytes) () 10/19/2006 postreply 08:03:17

看来你确实是好多中国话都不会说了。比我还厉害 -阿欢- 给 阿欢 发送悄悄话 阿欢 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/19/2006 postreply 09:25:05

Wow, 多谢斑竹及网友鼓励. -moab- 给 moab 发送悄悄话 moab 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/19/2006 postreply 12:57:17

喜欢这些有别于经典场景的照片,有独特的韵味。大峡谷的壮美令人神往 -蕉下客- 给 蕉下客 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/19/2006 postreply 13:09:13

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”