Alaska 游记 (4) - Dalton Highway I

来源: xux 2006-10-11 13:27:22 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5969 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ xux ] 在 2006-10-11 16:22:52 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

After Wrangell-St. Elias National Park & Preserve, we stopped at Fairbanks for two days, visiting UAF's museum and large animal research station. It was fun. Our next goal is to drive north to Prudhoe Bay through Dalton Highway if possible.

Dalton Highway, also known as the Haul Road, begins 84 miles north of Fairbanks, ends 414 miles later in Deadhorse. The road was built between 1974 and 1977 to support oil development at Prudhoe Bay. In 1994, the entire length of the road was open to the public for the first time. Most rental car companies prohibit driving on Dalton Highway. Tire/Vehicle repair services are only available at Yukon Crossing (MP 56), Coldfoot (MP 175), and Deadhorse (MP 414). Any break downs can be very expansive to fix. Towing is extremely expansive. Staff at Fairbanks Visitor Center clearly discouraged us from driving the road ourselves, she suggested we took a tour. I never liked tour group, so we decided to take our chance. Our plan: Drive as far as we feel comfortable, head back if things are getting bad.

It turns out Dalton Highway is not too bad, overall it is better than McCarthy and Nabesna Roads. Our average speed was ~40 mph. The beginning of the Dalton Highway is very rough, after Yukon Crossing, it gets better. Sections of the road are paved, but it can be worse than gravel, because there are so many potholes, it is impossible to avoid them sometimes. Also need to watch out for dips, bumps, sharp rocks and trucks. They can be everywhere. Pretty much the driver has to concentrate on the road the whole time. Any distraction can have severe consequence. One time, we were driving on a paved section that was relative smooth, Dave looked at the view for just one second, we hit a dip so bad our 30" suitcase in the back went flying in the air. Good thing we rent a high clearance SUV, if it was a car, I am not sure we'll make it.

We made it to Coldfoot in early afternoon, and stayed there for the night. Coldfoot (population 13), located about halfway between Fairbanks and Deadhorse, was originally a gold rush town. It got its name in 1900 when early prospectors reportedly got "cold feet" and left before winter set in.

Met two interesting people here: One is a guy from Michigan, about 20 years old. He somehow found on the internet that Coldfoot Camp (the only service provider in Coldfoot) needs to hire helpers a week ago, so he gave them a call, got here two days later. He already climbed nearby mountains on his off time. He plans to stay another two months before going home (The Camp will pay for the return ticket too). What a way to travel! The other is a girl, local Alaskan, in her late 20s. She worked in McMurdo, the American base in Antarctica, for the summer as a loader (load/unload supply planes). It was her first time working there. She took lots of photos, documenting her life in Antarctica. It was very interesting. She said she got the job because: 1. she has a friend who had worked there for years referred her; 2. A lot of heavy equipment operators quit their Antarctica jobs to work in Iraq, created new openings. I can't believe there is people choosing Iraq over Antarctica. Of course, not everyone is like that. She said she met PhD took dishwashing job just to be there.

(To be continued)

1. Dalton Highway with Trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline along the way.
Dalton Highway with Trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline along the way.

2. Along Dalton Highway.
Along Dalton Highway.

3. Near Wiseman, another old mining community (population 21), located 17 miles north of Coldfoot.
Near Wiseman.

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>
•  Alaska 游记 (3) - More McCarthy, Nabesna Road
•  Alaska 游记 (2) - McCarthy & Kennicott
•  Alaska 游记 (1) - Valdez
•  Alaska 游记 (0)
•  Start to blog!

所有跟帖: 

哇塞, 第一张照片真漂亮, -mengxu- 给 mengxu 发送悄悄话 mengxu 的博客首页 (38 bytes) () 10/11/2006 postreply 13:30:09

How many you like? ;) I try to pick only the good ones. -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (413 bytes) () 10/11/2006 postreply 13:55:24

萨克斯同志,您的相片摆得太正规了 -asasis- 给 asasis 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/11/2006 postreply 14:02:24

why? Also, prefer xux than 萨克斯 -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/11/2006 postreply 14:13:59

the more the better. :-) -mengxu- 给 mengxu 发送悄悄话 mengxu 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/11/2006 postreply 14:10:38

照片真漂亮。英文真好。 -阿欢- 给 阿欢 发送悄悄话 阿欢 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/11/2006 postreply 15:36:27

Thanks! I post to my blog first, fix the errors -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (144 bytes) () 10/11/2006 postreply 17:13:17

Woops. CORRECTION: Dalton Highway was built in 1974 -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (63 bytes) () 10/12/2006 postreply 06:36:54

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”