Isle De Los Roques – Six Day Exploration of the Caribbean Island

来源: 灰衣人 2013-01-22 15:00:25 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (8795 bytes)

Isle De Los Roques – Six Day Exploration of the Caribbean Islands in April, 2009: part 1

I have long been searching for the perfect beach, of fine white sands and turquoise waters. I have finally discovered it.

The Archipelago of Los Roques of Venezuela is one of the Caribbean’s largest national marine parks. Situated 176 km north of Caracas, the nation’s capital, it forms one of the most pristine chains of islands of the Caribbean Sea. I first learned of Los Roques from an Italian couple at a party. Many local friends later confirmed its beauty and fueled my desire to see for myself these famous archipelago islands.

Upon arrival, I was astounded by Los Roques’ breathtaking beauty. You hear people talking of travelling to the Maldives islands or that of Tahitian and other South Pacific islands. Yet, it is clear that this is not necessary. Los Roques more than fulfills anyone’s desires to vacation in a fascinating paradise unmarred by human influences.

An overview picture from airplane.

Los Roques is a protected national marine park that, by an astonishing twist of fate, is not widely publicized by the Venezuelan government. Its uniqueness is ensured by limited tourist access to the islands, physically and financially. There is no public transportation between the archipelago and the mainland. Visitors must take private planes or boats operated by some tourism companies. Additionally, the relatively high cost prevents frequent traffic to and from Los Roques by average locals.

On Los Roques, time almost comes to a stop. Whether snorkeling, diving, water/windsurfing, or just relaxing on the beach, these islands offer the perfect background for every form of enjoyment.

Snorkeling is an exceptionally exciting form of recreation that allows underwater exploration of the marine world. Chasing after schools of small and big fishes and allowing them to form circles around you is only half the fun. You can also just float along with the motion of the waves as you view passing beds of exotic and colorful marine flora.

Many visitors also enjoy a more active form of sport through deepwater diving and water and wind surfing. However, these activities require special training and only certified persons are allowed to take on this type of recreation. Unfortunately, I have not obtained training in this area and therefore am not able to share with you any such experiences. However, if you so desire, you can seek to become certified and join in the fun with the myriad of divers and surfers.

Captain

Our captain, el capitan, is the tough looking guy in sunglasses. During my 3-day stay in Los Roques, he was the one helped to set up our lounge chairs and sombrilla, brought us lunch and drinks and introduced us to the many points of interest where one could find seashells, conch shells and remnants of coral reefs that had been washed ashore. His features resemble that of a pirate and one can’t help but think that he might have descended from an ex-pirate of the Caribbean who had been so fascinated by Los Roques’ beauty that he gave up his rogueish career for that of a simple fisherman.

Visitors

You’ll find visitors from every country, not just those from Latin America. Several couples residing in our posada was probably from somewhere in Europe. One particular one we met during our first day there. It was amusing to note, that along with their astonishing ability to speak perfect Spanish, reflective of many Europeans’ multi-linguistic skills, they also brought along some other customs that are not readily practiced here, such as nudist sunbathing.

My Collections

After snorkeling, swimming, reading and taking in the beauty of the islands, I spent some time searching for shells, conch, and coral reefs. The pictures below show my store of these treasures of the sea. Two of the olive colored shells below are from a marine organism of which I am not familiar. There used to be four but unfortunately, due to their fragility, two of them broke during the return trip.

Posadas/lodges and food

There are no modern hotels in the island, only 63 posadas (lodges) and camps operated by fishermen. The posada I stayed in can accommodate around 10 families. Additionally, no AC, TV and internet access are provided in the posada. However, there are cyber cafes nearby during limited working hours. Furthermore, despite the heat of the morning, the evenings are surprisingly cool due to the trade winds near the equator that flow through the windows and offer a refreshing breeze. Despite their small size, the staff at these posadas provided premium foods reflective of local and international cuisine. A very fine American/European breakfast is served between 7 and 9 AM, with all kinds of freshly made tropical fruit juices like papaya, guava and patilla (the Venezuelan word for watermelon) and coffee.

After breakfast, around 9:30 AM, the captain takes you to your island destination of the day on a thrilling speedboat ride across the teal Caribbean waters. The exciting part of this is that each day you go to a different island. Around noon or 12:30, the captain returns with boxed lunches that include a fresh salad appetizer, a light entrée and fresh cut fruits along with some cookies. At this time, you are supposed to tell the captain when you want to return to the posada. Upon returning to the posada, you’ll find a batch of freshly made cookies or tequenos, (a traditional Venezuelan snack) waiting with more juice and coffee. Cocktails are served around 6:30 PM. A formal European style dinner (3- course meal) is served around 7:30 PM with white wine or champagne. After-dinner coffee is readily provided should you desire it. All of this is in included in your travel package, which costs around 3000 BsF per person. This amount, translated to dollars is $1395 at the official government rate of exchange ($1 = 2.15 BsF). However, if you utilize the ongoing black market for currency, you’d find a much better deal at $1 = 6 BsF, which greatly enhances your purchase power in Venezuela. This brings your vacation travel costs down to 500 dollars per person.

It is clear that a trip to Los Roques is definitely worth the time, effort and finances. As you fall asleep listening to the lively Latin American music playing from the town plaza or the quiet soothing sounds of the waves crashing against the sand and thinking about your adventures for the next day, you begin to appreciate the beauty of this well-kept secret of the Caribbean. Los Roques is a treasure waiting to be discovered by the active explorer. Well, now you all have the key. The ship’s ready to sail any time. If you choose to hop on board, I’m sure you too will fall in love with her.

Just don’t forget the sunblock. !

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>
  • Isle De Los Roques – Six Day Exploration of the Caribbean Island
  • 老外教你怎么使用中国的蹲厕[zt]
  • China May Not Let a Distracted America Forget 美国即便分神也不会忘记中国
  • Never say these five things in a job interview By Ramit Sethi
  • China’s neo-capitalism beating U.S. free markets by Paul B. Farr
  • 所有跟帖: 

太....美啦! -1990- 给 1990 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/22/2013 postreply 17:11:21

理想的白沙滩! -嘉崚子- 给 嘉崚子 发送悄悄话 嘉崚子 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/22/2013 postreply 23:06:46

这个群岛这两天在意大利更出名了,因为1月4日Missoni的掌门人乘坐的小飞机在飞往该岛时神秘失踪, -papermoon- 给 papermoon 发送悄悄话 papermoon 的博客首页 (73 bytes) () 01/23/2013 postreply 12:16:08

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
    请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
    选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
    选择“don't run on pages on this domain”