APAD: "Slow and Steady Wins The Race"

来源: 2024-03-04 07:37:40 [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读:
The meaning of the proverb is that the best results come from consistent and effective efforts.

It is commonly cited as originating from one of Aesop’s fables, specifically the story “The Tortoise and the Hare.”  A tortoise is similar to a turtle, however, it lives on land rather than in water. A hare is a type of rabbit. Tortoises are notoriously slow, while rabbits are notoriously swift.

The tortoise and the hare are racing in the story. Because the tortoise is so far behind, the hare gets overconfident and figures he may take a nap before finishing the race. This is analogous to someone being overconfident and ceasing to work hard. While the hare is sleeping, the turtle keeps going and wins the race.

As a result, this story—and the phrase—reminds us that it is preferable to work steadily—moderately—every day rather than very hard for brief periods of time.
-----------------------------------------------------------

That is the rule I follow when cleaning the bathtub: put on rubber gloves, drop some "vim" on the sponge and keep rubbing, and rubbing, and rubbing,  until eventually the tub is sparkling clean.

But I do wonder, while the proverb is true for ordinary people like me, will it fit for everyone and everywhere and everything?  What about those special ones who can be both fast and steady?  鬼脸