绿绿的诗和鲑鱼洄游的回忆

来源: 2022-02-03 18:17:39 [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读:

绿绿's is a very thought-provoking poem.  Thanks for sharing!

Watching a salmon run can be awe inspiring. 

We visited Alaska in 2003 and stayed for a couple of days at a bed and breakfast near a power plant on a river not too far from Valdez.  I thought I'd try fishing on the river so I asked the hostess if she had something like a fishing rod I could borrow.  She said, "sure", and pointed to a lined fishing rod resting by the fence.  I then asked where I could buy some fish bait.  She said: "You need no fish bait.  Just go and cast that fishing pole by the river and you'll catch yourself some fish." 

I figured it'd be rude to question the hostess' wisdom, so I took the fishing rod, which had a huge hook tied to the end of the line, and went to the river. 

The text in 绿绿's post contains this description:  "Gazing down into a channel jammed with fish may be one of the Last Frontier's most iconic experiences.  At the climax of a run, salmon might be arrayed bank-to-bank, like an armada of blushing torpedoes." 

And this was exactly what I saw: The river was jammed with an armada of pink salmon.  Instead of blushing torpedoes, though, I somehow thought of a whole pot of dumplings cooking in boiling water; a huge pot, that is.  And catching them was really a piece of cake; all I needed to do was fling the big hook into the river and I'd catch one almost everytime.  This kind of fishing proved to be very boring, though, and I gave up in no time.