【MY STORY MY SPEECH】The Tooth Fairy

来源: 2020-12-22 14:17:33 [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读:

Yesterday, whilst chatting with my colleagues about the age of their kids when they found out about the 'real' Santa, I remembered my very first encounter with the Tooth Fairy...

It was the morning after my daughter lost her first tooth. That day, when I went to my daughter's bedroom to wake her up, she was already awake, rummaging around her blankets and pillow, looking upset. “What's wrong darling?” I asked.

“The Tooth Fairy didn't come!” she replied with a teary voice.

“What do you mean?” I was puzzled.

“Last week when my friend lost her first tooth, the Tooth Fairy left a gold dollar coin!” she cried out in dismay. 

Slowly I realised my misstep. Thinking fast, I replied “Hmmm... Maybe the Tooth Fairy has been super busy lately with everyone losing their teeth… I have a good feeling she'll come tonight - trust me, you'll see…”

That night, I crept into my daughter's room and made sure to leave a gold coin next to her bed. 

However, the next morning when I wandered into her room, she still looked displeased, holding the gold coin I left for her. “What's wrong Darling? Isn't that the gold coin the Tooth Fairy left for you? See, the Tooth Fairy didn't forget did she?”

“Yes... But the Tooth Fairy was supposed to take my tooth with her!” She held up her tiny little tooth to show me.

"Ohhh I see... Well, maybe the Tooth Fairy was too busy visiting all the other kids.” I said (cursing myself mentally) "Well, mummy will take care of that for you."

"No, I want to keep it". She retracted her hand, and placed her tooth in a small clear bottle that she kept next to her bedside table. And, true to her word, she kept that little tooth until it had started to turn black!

This is my story of the Tooth Fairy. I have always loved how other parents would go to many lengths pretending to be Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny etc so their kids could have some magic in their lives, and create fond childhood memories to look back to. And especially in a year like this, don't we all need a few more white lies and the magic of holiday spirit in our lives?

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!