火星英语笔记

紧跟时事热点,关注社交媒体。看当下新闻,学实用英语。
正文

第22篇:学个词/短语:奥巴马的新书A Promised Land要出版了,明天要hit the shelves

(2020-11-16 18:48:56) 下一个

奥巴马新书《A Promised Land 应许之地》证实拜登当初不同意袭击本拉登。还提到川普在得知他曾提出过要帮助控制的墨西哥湾泄露的油井已经得到控制而不需要他的帮助/service后,看到奥巴马在白宫只能搭帐篷开宴会而立即向其提出可以帮在白宫盖一个好的ballroom - 川普真是一个有很好嗅觉的地产商。

Hit the shelves: to become available for purchase. 

• When her newest scent, Covet, hit the shelves in July 2007, it joined its predecessor, Lovely, in becoming a near-instant top seller.

• We're unveiling a list of new food products set to hit the market shelves this season

关于这本书,奥巴马自己的介绍:

Obama: my memoir, A Promised Land, is out today. I hope you’ll read it. My goal was to give you some insight into the events and people that shaped me during the early years of my presidency. Most of all, I hope it inspires you to see yourself playing a role in shaping a better world.

其它常用的有hit的词和短语

hit me(Blackjack 二十一点)再来一张牌; hit the road 出发(回家、旅行等); hit on someone 粗鲁地、直白地调情; hit out 重拳出击、严厉批评...

• hit the road:

• 释义:to leave a place or begin a trip. 开拔、出发、走了(如回家)。

• 用例:I'd love to stay longer but it's really time to hit the road.

• hit me

• 释义/用例

1. (card games) In blackjack, said by a player to ask the dealer to give them another card. 在纸牌游戏二十一点中意指“再给我一张牌”。用例:

• I was still pretty far from 21, so I said, "Hit me!"

• A: "A jack of spades and a two of hearts. That's 12." B: "Hit me."

2. slang(俚语): go ahead and ask me your question or tell me what you were going to say. 说吧。用例:

• A: "I've got the sales numbers back." B: "OK, hit me." A: "Well, it's not great."

• A: "Boss, could I ask you something?" B: "Sure, Tom. Hit me."

3. slang:A request for another alcoholic drink. (喝酒)再来一个/杯。用例:Yeah, I'll take another shot - hit me!

4. slang: a request for someone to give one a high five (slapping one's raised hand, as in a show of congratulation or celebration). 用例:Hit me, my friend! How've you been?

5. slang: accepting an offer to be included in something, ie. "count me in(算我一个)". 用例:"We're going up the road for pizza. You in?" "Hit me."

• hit on something/someone

• 释义/用例

1. discover or think of something, especially by chance. 偶然发现事物。用例:She hit on a novel idea for fundraising.

2. make sexual advances toward someone, to aggressively flirt with someone with the intent to enter into a romantic (long or short) relationship with them. (非常直白地)调情、挑逗。用例:He was really hitting on me, with steamy looks and innuendos.

• 其它相关: crush on somebody: to have a feeling of romantic love for someone, especially someone you do not know well.  对不太熟悉的人一见钟情、着迷。用例:Thomas is the guy in my class that I’m crushing on.

• hit out

• 释义/用例

• try to strike someone with one’s hand or an object. 用力猛击。用例:I swung round and hit out at him.

• criticize someone or something in forceful terms. 严厉批评。用例:

1. he hit out at suppliers for hyping their products.

还有一些不常用/常见的如hit off, hit up就不一一介绍的。    

所有素材均来源于网络。

如有侵权,请告知!

往期热词:

1. Kick rocks, 踢石头?靠边站,(礼貌地让)滚一边去,靠边站、安静的走开!

2. 第20篇:都点灯-印度教“排灯节”迪瓦里Diwali v.s. 犹太教的“光明节”汉努卡Hanukkah

3. 第21篇:细读ESPN关于第一位亚/华裔女性伍佩琴被聘为美国四大职业联赛之一MLB(职业棒球大联盟)迈阿密马林鱼队总经理的报导

[ 打印 ]
阅读 ()评论 (2)
评论
火星英语笔记 回复 悄悄话 Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) said that former President Obama is a "purveyor of untruths."

Obama wrote in his new memoir, "A Promised Land," that the late Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) selection of Palin as his running mate in 2008 ushered in a shift (带来转变) in the Republican Party that McCain himself “abhorred(痛恨).”

"It seemed as if the dark spirits that had long been lurking on the edges of the modern Republican Party — xenophobia(仇外、排外), anti-intellectualism, paranoid(偏执的、多疑的) conspiracy theories, an antipathy (反感) toward Black and brown folks — were finding their way to center stage," he wrote.
火星英语笔记 回复 悄悄话 Here is a backfire. Palin responds to Obama: "He is a purveyor of untruths" http://hill.cm/Wy2b4ig

Purveyor
1. a person who sells or deals in particular goods. A synonym for supplier. (商品)供应商。例句:"a purveyor of large luxury vehicles"
2. a person or group that spreads or promotes an idea, view, etc. For this meaning, supplier is not a synonym. 例句:"a purveyor of traditional Christian values"
登录后才可评论.