laoyangdelp (热门博主)
  • 博客访问:
归档
正文

英文专业的做计算机编程比计算机专业的好?

(2007-08-30 16:46:02) 下一个

接着“中年IT人的困惑”讨论。

网友“苦瓜”说:
“第一点:文科生编程。楼主的感觉有些委屈,也有些底气不足,好像不够科班,先天不足。其实这是错误的说法。年初读过一篇文章,说的就是文科生编程的优势。编程实际上是个表达沟通的活儿,特别是高级语言的编程,没有深厚的文字交流水平,很难胜任。写文章的人说,见过的优秀编程人员都是英文专业毕业的,写文章这人是个美国人,若是咱中国人,结论恐怕就是最优秀的编程人员都是中文专业的了。这话相当有道理。功夫在程序外。楼主的中英文文字表达都相当出色,估计这也是多年来公司一再裁人,楼主稳坐编程位置的原因。往前看,您比我们都有优势,这行业只要还存在,您就是最优秀的那一类。别看其他人抖机灵,程序也是日久见功夫。您就安心往前走吧。

第二点:印度兄弟跟我们一样来自泱泱大国,都是有特殊基因的个体,剥削人的时候自己都没感觉,还以为是拉兄弟一把呢。自己千万保护自己,他不知道心疼你,你自己得知道。该反就反,谁怕谁。当年俺们那印度老板ceo,唠唠叨叨跟俺谈话,说些俺不加班之类的鬼话,俺也就站起来冲他拍了几下桌子走人了。那是经济萧条的02年,他以为自己是上帝呢,给人提供了生存的机会。而且,只要有人带头走,这传染病就算发作了。俺走之后,公司接二连三走了好多人。咱背井离乡的来的是美国,不是去台北、奔孟买,要用美国的生活标准要求自己。咱不惯他那毛病。”

俺特同意苦瓜MM的第二点,可是不同意她的第一点。下面是我的观点:

I think people differ from their abilities most not by training but by genetic. Engineering and computer programming require clear logical thinking and analytical skills while literature does more on creative thinking side. That doesn't say a person of English major can not have clear logical sense.

The article below only prove a person with clear logical thinking and know how to communicate well could be good software programmers regardless one's training.

In ideal cases, people choose their major because they like it or have passion about it. In not so perfect cases people choose a major as a way of earning a living. 楼主 mentioned that he doesn't not like or enjoy programming. That makes him for ever a ok computer programmer even he has master degree on CS.

I do agree that 楼主 made a good choice to stay in his current field as all he wants is a relatively easy job with good pay. What could be better than staying with a well paid job you already know how to do it, regardless you like it or not!

BTW, another good job would be a tech writer that requires good writing (communication) skill and some technical knowlegde.

并附那美国人的文章:

English as a First Language
---------------------------
、、、、、

I've found that some of the best developers of all are English majors. They'll often graduate with no programming experience at all, and certainly without a clue about the difference between DRAM and EPROM.

But they can write. That's the art of conveying information concisely and clearly. Software development and writing are both the art of knowing what you're going to do, and then lucidly expressing your ideas.

The worst developers, regardless of background, fail due to their inability to be clear. Their thoughts and code tend to ramble rather than zero-in on the goal.

It's easier to train someone in a new language than to teach them to think clearly. C really isn't that hard to learn; it has but a handful of constructs. Most folks can learn the fundamentals quickly.
Debugging takes longer, but all new programmers find themselves at sea when first faced with bugs.

Too many engineering-trained developers have a total disregard for stylistic issues in programming. Anything goes. Firmware is the most expensive thing in the universe, so it makes sense to craft it carefully and in accordance with a standard style guide. Make sure it clearly communicates its intent. This is where the English majors shine; they've spent 4 years learning everything there is to know about styles and communication.

、、、、、

[ 打印 ]
阅读 ()评论 (12)
评论
wenjuyuan 回复 悄悄话 My comments on your English come from my professional habits and I do not mean to mock at you.

你的中文比我的好,上边的两段极其精链,有条不紊,一针见血,看似平铺直叙,却字斟句酌,锋芒闪烁, 不施雕饰,宛然天成,足见功力。
顺便补充一点,好像是印度人说的,印度语是编成优势。当然,印度人还说过很多他们的优势。
laoyangdelp 回复 悄悄话 回复wenjuyuan的评论:
My Chinese is not good either. 呵呵.
wenjuyuan 回复 悄悄话 On the other hand, if you are a computer science major or math major, you are probably not a very good one either, as your English is indeed illogical in many ways.
I agree that a language major is not necessarily superior in learing to program, but a good language major is just as logical as any math or program major can be.
wenjuyuan 回复 悄悄话 To aoyangdelp: you are probably not an English major, or you are, but not a very good one:) Your English says it all.
laoyangdelp 回复 悄悄话 回复watchwater的评论:
这里没有谁在攀比.只是讨论一个观点而已.
laoyangdelp 回复 悄悄话 回复ytwadk的评论:
谢谢啊,用中文将我上面英文的主要意思准确地表达出来了.

"是否适合做软件开发,关键在于个人是否有逻辑思维能力,具有逻辑思维能力,做软件开发有很大优势,而逻辑思维的开发,通常是爱好数学的所特有的,通过学文学能被训练出这种思维的不多。也许有特例。一个人如果爱好,那就不太可能擅长数学。这可能也是你以前提到的那个中年人的弱项。"
summer_rose 回复 悄悄话 任何事情都不是绝对的,不好一概而论。
老虎兄弟 回复 悄悄话 一般学英文的编程能力不如计算机专业出身的,所以也不做编程的工作。但是如果遇到一个学英文而又搞编程去了,那他肯定是高手,这样的人我见过。
穷酸 回复 悄悄话 搞语言的学计算机也不容易,顶一下。
ytwadk 回复 悄悄话 缺两个字,一个人如果爱好文学,那就不太可能擅长数学。

你不能说你是文学专业出身, 现在从事软件开发,小有成就,就说这个专业有编程优势,我也碰到过学文科的学CS最后学不下去的。 比尔盖茨没大学毕业, 创建了微软,但不能说一切没有大学毕业的人都适合创建软件公司。

无论谁说文学专业有搞编程的优势,如果你擅长逻辑分析,按照这个逻辑推下去,你就会得出相反的结论。
ytwadk 回复 悄悄话 英文专业的编程能力强,那为什么招工广告都是要计算机专业背景的?我个人认为是否适合做软件开发,关键在于个人是否有逻辑思维能力,具有逻辑思维能力,做软件开发有很大优势,而逻辑思维的开发,通常是爱好数学的所特有的, 通过学文学能被训练出这种思维的不多。也许有特例。一个人如果爱好,那就不太可能擅长数学。这可能也是你以前提到的那个中年人的弱项。
watchwater 回复 悄悄话 攀比是不自信的表现。
登录后才可评论.